VIDEO : Off-Road Basics in a Bone Stock 2-Door Jeep & Rock Crawling It

Strainger

Caught the Bug
I especially enjoyed the stalling and the scraping noises. It took me back to my first Jeep, also stock and stick, when you told me to just follow your tracks. It scared the crap out of me.

wnorton

People new to Jeeps and or to off roading in general have been asking Cindy and I to make a video highlighting the some of the basics, tips and tricks that every newbie should know and for quite some time now. And, I have to say that we've been reluctant to do so if only because we know that we're not professionals or experts in anything and understand full well that the way we choose to do things isn't necessarily the right way, the best way or the only way. With that said, we finally got a chance to take Pippi, our bone stock, Jeep Wrangler JL 2-door Sport and with a stick, out on a trail known as Last Chance Canyon and to test her out on some rocks. And, while we were there, we decided to use the opportunity to film some of the things that we've learned over the years and share them with you. Things like, airing down your tires, disconnecting your front sway bar links, shifting into low range and picking a good line. Of course, the only thing we would ever hope for, is that the information you see might be of help to you someday. Oh, and as an added bonus, you'll also get to see how JET testing out his new 38" Nitto Ridge Grapplers. We hope you enjoy.

RECOMMENDED BUYS
EVO Air Down Tool: https://bit.ly/3yJ5kx6
CB BAR: https://bit.ly/2K7kIv6
JL Air Compressor Mount: https://bit.ly/2SKOREe
Another fine video.

Fasho

Love all your videos. Just finished installing the LOD signature sliders this morning. This is my first jeep, but that was difficult without a good floor jack. My 14 year old and I managed to do it, not as smoothly as your video, but it was super handy to be able to watch it during our many problem moments.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I especially enjoyed the stalling and the scraping noises. It took me back to my first Jeep, also stock and stick, when you told me to just follow your tracks. It scared the crap out of me.
LOL - so hope to hit the trails with you again some time soon my friend 👍

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Love all your videos. Just finished installing the LOD signature sliders this morning. This is my first jeep, but that was difficult without a good floor jack. My 14 year old and I managed to do it, not as smoothly as your video, but it was super handy to be able to watch it during our many problem moments.
Awesome, so glad to hear our video was helpful to you 👍

FFPulley77

Hooked
I can smell the clutch from here!!😁
Serious question , how over/under engineered are the clutches on JKs and JLs?
I’ve got a 2013 2 door 6 speed and I’m still learning how to wheel a standard. I’ve really heated it up before along with some wheel spinning to get up and over obstacles and could smell clutch a few times.
Great video, by the way. Thanks!

CalSgt

Hooked
Man... That was nerve wracking, I kept expecting you to smash a rocker panel. Great line choices and a "Not professional in any way" driver seemed to get you out of there unscathed.

Great video (y)

DMF

Love the video guys! Been waiting for a video like this. And also one of my favorite trails as well.

theexpozay

I am SO glad you made this video. I finally got my 6speed 2 door Willys a couple weeks ago and today was the first time I drove it more then 5 miles. (From Virginia Beach to Richmond) Notably we did it with the top and doors off. I bought Zoey to take on adventures and I have to tell you this primer is exactly what I needed to make me feel more confident about driving a stick off road.
The directions for removing the sway bar were terrific.

I know you say you are not an expert. But if you are not, who the hell is?

Thanks again.
Zimmy

Jsouder53

Hooked
Seeing pippi makes me want a 2 door! I still haven’t gotten around to getting that YJ or TJ I’ve been wanting for a couple years. Having our first child didn’t help that cause 😂

joose

People new to Jeeps and or to off roading in general have been asking Cindy and I to make a video highlighting the some of the basics, tips and tricks that every newbie should know and for quite some time now. And, I have to say that we've been reluctant to do so if only because we know that we're not professionals or experts in anything and understand full well that the way we choose to do things isn't necessarily the right way, the best way or the only way. With that said, we finally got a chance to take Pippi, our bone stock, Jeep Wrangler JL 2-door Sport and with a stick, out on a trail known as Last Chance Canyon and to test her out on some rocks. And, while we were there, we decided to use the opportunity to film some of the things that we've learned over the years and share them with you. Things like, airing down your tires, disconnecting your front sway bar links, shifting into low range and picking a good line. Of course, the only thing we would ever hope for, is that the information you see might be of help to you someday. Oh, and as an added bonus, you'll also get to see how JET testing out his new 38" Nitto Ridge Grapplers. We hope you enjoy.

RECOMMENDED BUYS
EVO Air Down Tool: https://bit.ly/3yJ5kx6
CB BAR: https://bit.ly/2K7kIv6
JL Air Compressor Mount: https://bit.ly/2SKOREe
I just want to give you and Cindy a (y) up for this video of Pippi in action. A long time ago (back in 2013) I bought a stock 2008 JK-X(2 door with a manual six speed trans.) ,and needed to get to know her capabilities before I added new upgrades for the type of trails I wanted to do. So glad I did that before buying all the stuff that I had seen for JK upgrades. By driving it stock up at "Funny Rocks area" told me her weak spots, and where to begine spending my hard earned money first to safegaurd her weak points. I had a "75" Toyo.Landcruiser built to the huilt back in the "90's" , and had to let her go (for finacel rerason's). So when the need to go wheeling again came back in 2013 Jeeps of course was the best option for the money cause of all the upgrades you can get for them. Again thank-you for all the wortk you, and Cindy do to keep us living the "Wayoflife". Hope this post might encourage the new jeepers to do same as I did, and you with "Pippi":cool:

frenchjk

Caught the Bug
When I lived in the us and owned a CJ with the 6i we used to let off the clutch and start her in gear (1st 4L open axles and no brake assist) and keep on going from there (learnt from Mark Smith and the trail teams on the Jamboree). It saves the clutch and in 4Low really is good. Did it with the Jk quite a bit too but not as much thanks to our 2.8 diesel that really pulls in 4l low rev. Too bad there is no Eco diesel in the SWB with stick shift, that would be a killer.

Top Bottom