VM Motori V6 Diesel Engine - Probablity for the 2018 Jeep JL Wrangler?

frenchjk

Caught the Bug
:crazyeyes:I'm praying to the JEEP GODS they release it, I currently have the EcoDiesel in my 2014 Dodge Ram 1500, Loving Every Minute Of It:clap2:, And I don't even have a chip in it....!!!!!

don't need a chip.....only a sprint booster or similar gizmo (well on the 2.8 you do/might) that will give you a faster throttle response when needed (they are adjustable on the fly).

LilRedExpress

I have the 2008 Grand with the 3.0L. Foot to the floor sits you back in your seat even starting from 60. Same company just a previous version. Non DEF model but that doesn't affect performance anyway. Just an exhaust cooker if I understand it right. I bought it used with 80k on it and consistently get 21 on the highway. I have 108k on it now and runs like a dream. I would love a Wrangler with the new VM motor. Wish they would come up with a swap for it in my 11 2 door.

13_gecko_rubi

Caught the Bug
I have the 2008 Grand with the 3.0L. Foot to the floor sits you back in your seat even starting from 60. Same company just a previous version. Non DEF model but that doesn't affect performance anyway. Just an exhaust cooker if I understand it right. I bought it used with 80k on it and consistently get 21 on the highway. I have 108k on it now and runs like a dream. I would love a Wrangler with the new VM motor. Wish they would come up with a swap for it in my 11 2 door.

The 2008 grand Cherokee diesel is a Mercedes diesel. The new one is a VM diesel. About the only thing they have in common is they are both diesels. Not even close to same design. VM was a joint venture between fiat and gm until gm sold its half to fiat a few years ago. The new 2.8 duramax diesel in the Colorado is from that old venture. It's a derivative of the diesel used I. Th JK overseas now. GM made some updates to it and added the SCR (Eurea) system to it.

Journeyman

I love the idea of a diesel wrangler. There should have been one here in the u.s. A long time ago!
But there are so many components that can and do go wrong will the dpf exhaust system. All of our new work (modern) trucks are constantly going down due to plugged dpf's. I loved my duramax but the mpg was constantly getting destroyed because of regeneration. I'm actually looking for a pre 2007.5 diesel pickup because I don't want to deal with dpf filters and def fluid.

frenchjk

Caught the Bug
I love the idea of a diesel wrangler. There should have been one here in the u.s. A long time ago!
But there are so many components that can and do go wrong will the dpf exhaust system. All of our new work (modern) trucks are constantly going down due to plugged dpf's. I loved my duramax but the mpg was constantly getting destroyed because of regeneration. I'm actually looking for a pre 2007.5 diesel pickup because I don't want to deal with dpf filters and def fluid.

the 2.8 has a DPF filter with a fifth injector that post injects into the exhaust flow after the turbo to heat up the DPF and burn off the soot. NO Def fluid but still it needs to run on open roads from time to time to burn off. DPF techno is here to stay and IMHO it is a PITA.

I sincerely hope that if FIAT/JEEP goes the diesel way on the JL they use a different technology altogether. In Europe the VM +CAT+DPF is creating a few headaches: clogged filters, broken sensors, broken exhaust pipe hangers (due to heat and crappy Chinese metal alloys), engine runaways and consequent failure of piston rods, turbos, injectors etc.....

so lets keep our fingers crossed that the Diesel JL is with a better anti-pollution system whatever the engine.

13_gecko_rubi

Caught the Bug
the 2.8 has a DPF filter with a fifth injector that post injects into the exhaust flow after the turbo to heat up the DPF and burn off the soot. NO Def fluid but still it needs to run on open roads from time to time to burn off. DPF techno is here to stay and IMHO it is a PITA.

I sincerely hope that if FIAT/JEEP goes the diesel way on the JL they use a different technology altogether. In Europe the VM +CAT+DPF is creating a few headaches: clogged filters, broken sensors, broken exhaust pipe hangers (due to heat and crappy Chinese metal alloys), engine runaways and consequent failure of piston rods, turbos, injectors etc.....

so lets keep our fingers crossed that the Diesel JL is with a better anti-pollution system whatever the engine.

Every on road diesel above a certain size in usa uses dpf + scr (eurea). With euro 6 taking effect in Europe you will start seeing scr there too. Unfortunately there is no cost effective alternative to meet the crazy diesel emissions. The new 2.8 in the Colorado is based off the 2.8 that's in jk overseas. You can see here in usa it has dpf + scr.

frenchjk

Caught the Bug
Every on road diesel above a certain size in usa uses dpf + scr (eurea). With euro 6 taking effect in Europe you will start seeing scr there too. Unfortunately there is no cost effective alternative to meet the crazy diesel emissions. The new 2.8 in the Colorado is based off the 2.8 that's in jk overseas. You can see here in usa it has dpf + scr.

exact same engine as the JK...........except we get it 200HP 430 Nm (manual)......could be used for a conversion:blush:in the US

uberc4

Dang. If I just didn't already buy a JKU. I was waiting to see if a diesel version came out, but got tired of waiting. I wonder how much they will tack on for the upgrade?

windowlicker

I have a 2009 JKU with the 2.8 CRD and 6 speed manual. I love it. More torque than a Hemi at 1500rpm, and consistently gets over 30mpg. The fuel light never comes on before 500 miles.

The V6 would be even more awesomer :)

frenchjk

Caught the Bug
I have a 2009 JKU with the 2.8 CRD and 6 speed manual. I love it. More torque than a Hemi at 1500rpm, and consistently gets over 30mpg. The fuel light never comes on before 500 miles.

The V6 would be even more awesomer :)

same here before I killed it with bumpers, tires, lift....20~22 mpg now:rolleyes2:

Yes mpg would be nice, yes longevity would be much better... Biggest benefit as I see it would be the torque increase, especially for those that run big tire settups.

There would be nothing out there that could compare off road to a properly lifted wrangler on 37's or 40's with a 500ft/lb diesel pushing them!

I'm definitely on the bandwagon!

Ubbb69

This right here is the problem. The dpf system is not designed to idle or low rpm. Also when it does burn off the filter the exhaust is so hot it will start fires. Right now in the usa if you own a farm you can buy any of the bigger diesel trucks with out the dpf system just for the reasons i stated. If you off road with a diesel you are in for headaches from the get go. The current dpf system is designed for highway runs. On my 3/4 ton it even states in the manual not to let the truck sit running or drive strictly in town situations.

It's my understanding that the 3.0 doesn't fit in the JL platform and the 2.8 thats currently used overseas doesn't meet the emissions criteria here in the states. From the sounds of it, the only two scenarios Chrysler is considering is ATM is the 2.8 with updated emissions or an all new engine thats possibly in the works. Either way its most definitely going to use DPF which raises some concern about being grocery getter friendly but there are many ways around this, the most popular being to just remove it altogether.

Heholua

It's my understanding that the 3.0 doesn't fit in the JL platform and the 2.8 thats currently used overseas doesn't meet the emissions criteria here in the states. From the sounds of it, the only two scenarios Chrysler is considering is ATM is the 2.8 with updated emissions or an all new engine thats possibly in the works. Either way its most definitely going to use DPF which raises some concern about being grocery getter friendly but there are many ways around this, the most popular being to just remove it altogether.

If it can fit in a Grand Cherokee, it will be able to fit in the JL.

This right here is the problem. The dpf system is not designed to idle or low rpm. Also when it does burn off the filter the exhaust is so hot it will start fires. Right now in the usa if you own a farm you can buy any of the bigger diesel trucks with out the dpf system just for the reasons i stated. If you off road with a diesel you are in for headaches from the get go. The current dpf system is designed for highway runs. On my 3/4 ton it even states in the manual not to let the truck sit running or drive strictly in town situations.

Not sure if this size of vehicle will have the same indicators as large trucks but all the trucks at my work with DEF systems have warning lights to let you know you need to regenerate your engine (burn off the exhaust buildup) well before it makes you do it. Yes it is very hot and could start a fire if done in a field. So with that being said lots of us use or Jeeps as daily drivers I don't see this as an issue. We could burn off the buildup before we hit the trails or even wait until we're done and off the trail in a gravel lot.

Top Bottom