Want to run a 38 inch tire with a 3 inch lift - options?

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
We were taking about axles for bigger tires. To show you what i mean, get a ball bearing and spin it in your finger. Now tape a piece of metal to the side of the bearing and notice how it's harder to turn. Rolling resistance is not only caused by the tires, but the wieght of the wheels too.

My build thread:
https://wayalife.com/showthread.php/50012-2013-dozer-jkur-build-thread

I don’t need to do an experiment. Unlike you I’ve used my jeep with different setups as an experience.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
LOL!! It's frightening to see just how bad some of the information being posted on this thread really is. :crazyeyes:

People in the tire industry refer to "rolling resistance" in regards to how much resisting force a tire tread has while rolling across a surface. This is why it is sometimes also referred to as "rolling friction" or "rolling drag". The term is typically used in regards to fuel economy benefits when talking about an aggressive tread like what a mud terrain has versus an all terrain or street tire. "Weight" is NOT a factor or even considered when discussing rolling resistance.

Also, I've run steel and aluminum wheels in the past. If there really was a weight difference, it was negligible at best and some aluminum wheels I've run have weight MORE.

Brute

Hooked
LOL!! It's frightening to see just how bad some of the information being posted on this thread really is. :crazyeyes:

People in the tire industry refer to "rolling resistance" in regards to how much resisting force a tire tread has while rolling across a surface. This is why it is sometimes also referred to as "rolling friction" or "rolling drag". The term is typically used in regards to fuel economy benefits when talking about an aggressive tread like what a mud terrain has versus an all terrain or street tire. "Weight" is NOT a factor or even considered when discussing rolling resistance.

Also, I've run steel and aluminum wheels in the past. If there really was a weight difference, it was negligible at best and some aluminum wheels I've run have weight MORE.

I would agree with the above...

Rolling resistance is also affected by tire pressure...which basically alters tread footprint and surface contact area

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I would agree with the above...

Rolling resistance is also affected by tire pressure...which basically alters tread footprint and surface contact area

Correct.

I have personally tested out various tires of the same size and on the same Jeep only running different types of treads such as an AT vs. an MT. Testing for rolling resistance, I was able to get as much as 4 MPG more with the AT vs. the MT and the AT even weighed MORE. Of course, that's just what I've seen.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi

If I remember, way back, other forums spout that shit as gospel. I haven’t been on other forums in a little time, because of too much sketchy information.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Benito

Caught the Bug
That is big alright...looks pretty cool sitting there on those monster 40's. I am curious about flex though. Does not look like there is much room to move in there if the rig gets out on the trail?

I don’t have any pictures of that variation flexed out, however i did have only about 3” of up travel in the rear and about 3.5” in the front, But i had plenty of droop. This is still how i have my Jeep set up with the coilovers.

deezus

How wide? The 38s I've seen are 14.5" wide. Very hard to turn without hydro.

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Top Bottom