WARN 62132 Power Interrupt Kit

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
FYI that wouldn't solve a run away solenoid. The controller activates the solenoid in the box on top of the winch...if it's fried and the circuit is complete (pulling), removing the controller won't stop the solenoid (that's why it's a "run-away"). Again, rare, but just to clarify. Have to pull the battery or disrupt power.

EEk... synthetic line and a knife for me in that case... :cheesy:
would be scary for sure!

AdrockTT

I wouldn't do that on a line under tension.

Def sounds risky, but I guess it is a true emergency scenario...Sure would test the "synthetic lines don't hold recoil energy" concept to the fullest! Prob would be hard to cut, esp w line moving and in a panic. I wouldn't want to test this...

Owen19

Def sounds risky, but I guess it is a true emergency scenario...Sure would test the "synthetic lines don't hold recoil energy" concept to the fullest! Prob would be hard to cut, esp w line moving and in a panic. I wouldn't want to test this...
Yup, that would definitely test the theory but I wouldn't want to be the one to test it.

onbelay

Wow, I guess I don't wheel hard enough to use my winch as much as you do. At least, in the last 30 years, I have only seen one winch cable related fire and it was something that could have been prevented.

Some of us, myself included, are concerned with high amperage cables severing and then grounding to our frame during an *on-road* accident (e.g. when not wheeling hard). It is very possible for a front bumper-mounted winch's power lead to sustain damage during an accident & arc to the frame. For this purpose, we choose to run manual disconnects, physically disconnect the power lead from our battery, or use solutions similar to WARN'S.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Some of us, myself included, are concerned with high amperage cables severing and then grounding to our frame during an *on-road* accident (e.g. when not wheeling hard). It is very possible for a front bumper-mounted winch's power lead to sustain damage during an accident & arc to the frame. For this purpose, we choose to run manual disconnects, physically disconnect the power lead from our battery, or use solutions similar to WARN'S.

If hypothetical scenarios that you've heard about on the internet scare you enough to take steps to prevent them from happening, all I can say is that it's your Jeep and your money and you should do what you want with both. Unlike you, I'm not here to try to convince anyone of anything.

onbelay

If hypothetical scenarios that you've heard about on the internet scare you enough to take steps to prevent them from happening, all I can say is that it's your Jeep and your money and you should do what you want with both. Unlike you, I'm not here to try to convince anyone of anything.

Part of my doctoral research, my doctoral dissertation, and prototypes I am building & potentially patenting ... are focused on 12V DC electronics. In my situation, it's definitely not a matter of hypothetical scenarios--heard on the Internet--scaring me.

:)

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Part of my doctoral research, my doctoral dissertation, and prototypes I am building & potentially patenting ... are focused on 12V DC electronics. In my situation, it's definitely not a matter of hypothetical scenarios--heard on the Internet--scaring me.

:)

Yeah, the most I've done is stay at a Holiday Inn Express. :rolleyes2:

garndawg

Came here to post this very thought. Collision + body metal cutting through the hot line insulation = full battery amps until exhausted. Yikes.

I've got a marine on/off switch (Blue Sea E-series, 500 amp) on a homemade bracket. It sits about 8" from the battery under the hood. I leave it off until I need the winch. Raise the hood, flip the switch and winch away. Nice piece of mind and cost me about $50 total.

One other concern for ya'll. Back in the 80's jackalopes would freespool the line out, throw it over the top of the vehicle (or under it) and fasten to the trailer hitch. Then stick a paperclip in the proper holes and walk away. You can guess the result... It was pretty rare, but I saw it happen personally in a high school parking lot. Granted, this was in the days of the three-pin controller, but you could still do it with a five pin if you were really determined.

Yet another reason to have the cutoff under the hood, protected by a Bolt hood lock - as mine is.

Food for thought...

onbelay

Came here to post this very thought. Collision + body metal cutting through the hot line insulation = full battery amps until exhausted. Yikes.

I've got a marine on/off switch (Blue Sea E-series, 500 amp) on a homemade bracket. It sits about 8" from the battery under the hood. I leave it off until I need the winch. Raise the hood, flip the switch and winch away. Nice piece of mind and cost me about $50 total.

One other concern for ya'll. Back in the 80's jackalopes would freespool the line out, throw it over the top of the vehicle (or under it) and fasten to the trailer hitch. Then stick a paperclip in the proper holes and walk away. You can guess the result... It was pretty rare, but I saw it happen personally in a high school parking lot. Granted, this was in the days of the three-pin controller, but you could still do it with a five pin if you were really determined.

Yet another reason to have the cutoff under the hood, protected by a Bolt hood lock - as mine is.

Food for thought...

Totally agree. Speaking of hood locks, we installed the MOPAR hood lock (plus transmission oil cooler, new radiator, new water pump, new plugs, new plug wires, and horizontal headlight adjustment screws LOL) over Christmas break for this reason. We like the extra security, as we have a Genesis dual battery system, ARB compressor, aux DC fuse block, and other misc stuff that might get stolen or tampered with.

Hood lock and transmission oil cooler:

IMG_20170110_125420679 - small.jpg

View from the front:

IMG_20170115_174213.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20170103_150626065.jpg
    IMG_20170103_150626065.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 182

SilverBack

I have read about someone having their winch couch disengaged, the line run over the top of their jeep and hooked to the back, clutch reengaged then shorting the solenoid to real in the cable....... A switch like this could stop that from happening.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Wow, You must have doctoral research, doctoral dissertation, and prototypes you're building and potentially patenting focused on 12V DC electronics too :cheesy:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Okay, in all fairness, I suppose it's because of the 7 Jeeps I own, 4 don't have air bags let alone shoulder belts or crumple zones and 2 don't even roll bars. Hell, one has a gas tank right under the driver side seat! Essentially, they're all death traps. Who knows, maybe I should be a hyperventilating Jeep hypochondriac and be more concerned because bad things that can happen. :crazyeyes:

Worry on my friends and be sure to protect yourselves from yourselves :thumb:

garndawg

Wow, You must have doctoral research, doctoral dissertation, and prototypes you're building and potentially patenting focused on 12V DC electronics too :cheesy:

Nah, just two engineering degrees and about 25 years working with DC systems up to 270VDC. Other than that, not much experience...:beer:

Top Bottom