WAYALIFE EPIC TREX : Rockin Rubicon Run 2015 - July 14th-16th

Stegertime

Caught the Bug
Hey guys, looking for some advice... This will be my first time on The Rubicon and I'm really excited. Currently my vehicle meets the minimum requirements so I should be good to go, but the back of my brain keeps being worried. I know Eddie said we wouldn't be doing any of the "hard" sections but maybe all the videos of trips past have me worried. I have a 2.5" BB and 35s on a JKU Sport. I'm worried I am going to mess something up and break something bad. I know it's part of the sport and I'm cool with that, just don't want to be the weak link in the chain of you will. My brain has been a flurry of ideas and I am looking for some reassurance or suggestions.

I'm worried about not having lockers and assume I'll be winching at some point. I keep wondering if I should install a JE Reel front driveshaft or not. I've also been debating a Currie AntiRock. Both of which I'll need down the line for my build phase 2, so I don't think it would be a waste, but also don't know if I should worry. I know I can just pull out the wrenches to fully disconnect the sway bar for the trip, but wondering if the AntiRock has other benefits that would make it worth the spend. I also saw las year's pics and have another voice telling me "extra/new tie rod would be smart" ha ha. What do y'all think?

Thanks in advance for the opinions!

Hey guys, looking for some advice... This will be my first time on The Rubicon and I'm really excited. Currently my vehicle meets the minimum requirements so I should be good to go, but the back of my brain keeps being worried. I know Eddie said we wouldn't be doing any of the "hard" sections but maybe all the videos of trips past have me worried. I have a 2.5" BB and 35s on a JKU Sport. I'm worried I am going to mess something up and break something bad. I know it's part of the sport and I'm cool with that, just don't want to be the weak link in the chain of you will. My brain has been a flurry of ideas and I am looking for some reassurance or suggestions.

I'm worried about not having lockers and assume I'll be winching at some point. I keep wondering if I should install a JE Reel front driveshaft or not. I've also been debating a Currie AntiRock. Both of which I'll need down the line for my build phase 2, so I don't think it would be a waste, but also don't know if I should worry. I know I can just pull out the wrenches to fully disconnect the sway bar for the trip, but wondering if the AntiRock has other benefits that would make it worth the spend. I also saw las year's pics and have another voice telling me "extra/new tie rod would be smart" ha ha. What do y'all think?

I'd say roll with what you have.... It's getting pretty close to the big day(s) and anything you do will be untested. Worst case you pull a little line or get a tug. Hell compared to some of the rigs that are going I am built modestly too. There's always a bigger fish in the sea.

noroad

just looked as your build looks pretty good from here, never run the rubicon but I hear there are bypass if you don't wish to partake in an op(could be wrong) you have armor, that would have been my biggest worry. I think I would hold off on the anri rock so you don't have to buy new rods (I think they are cut to length) plus they are some big coin. we can help get you disconnected and stuff before we take off.

It depends on what type of driver you are LOL. I would say you will be fine. Lockers would be a huge help but thats a big change this late in the game. I would say roll with what you have. I helped 07JKSahara (Scott) through little sluice on almost your exact set up. It all in how you drive and your line. You may need a pull over a couple things here and there but nothing major should happen. With all that said we are driving mechanical sleds that tend to surprise us :bleh:.

Stegertime

Caught the Bug
Thanks so much guys, really appreciate it. I tend to be a "LO and slow" crawler and always trust my spotter. Yup armored up for sure. Now I'm really pumped, really appreciate it. See you all in 3 weeks! 👍🏻

07JKSahara

It depends on what type of driver you are LOL. I would say you will be fine. Lockers would be a huge help but thats a big change this late in the game. I would say roll with what you have. I helped 07JKSahara (Scott) through little sluice on almost your exact set up. It all in how you drive and your line. You may need a pull over a couple things here and there but nothing major should happen. With all that said we are driving mechanical sleds that tend to surprise us :bleh:.

Helped?!? That's an understatement! It was like an RC car and I just happened to be in the pilot seat. Jason's great, so is panda. I can only imagine everyone else is just as helpful.

JAGS

Hooked

I ran it with Wayalife last year and a buddy drtnwtr was right in front of me on a similar set up as you steg. He had to pull line once. I'm pretty sure he had a blast as he is back on the list this year with the same rig and same set up. I think there is much to be said with an experienced spotter (which we'll have) and how you drive (to Jason's point above). Lastly, there is a lot of support with the wayalife fam. Don't be afraid to ask for help on the trail if you're not sure how to approach or get around something. None of us are there to be badasses, just out to have a good time and enjoy the trail. :yup:

07JKSahara

Thanks so much guys, really appreciate it. I tend to be a "LO and slow" crawler and always trust my spotter. Yup armored up for sure. Now I'm really pumped, really appreciate it. See you all in 3 weeks! 👍🏻

I have a spare tie rod if you really want me to bring it? It'd have to go in your jeep because ken has a lot of outfits 😉, but I'll bring it up.

Edit, forgot you're local. You can get it before the trip. I really just wanted to take a cheap shot at my pilot....

Stegertime

Caught the Bug
I ran it with Wayalife last year and a buddy drtnwtr was right in front of me on a similar set up as you steg. He had to pull line once. I'm pretty sure he had a blast as he is back on the list this year with the same rig and same set up. I think there is much to be said with an experienced spotter (which we'll have) and how you drive (to Jason's point above). Lastly, there is a lot of support with the wayalife fam. Don't be afraid to ask for help on the trail if you're not sure how to approach or get around something. None of us are there to be badasses, just out to have a good time and enjoy the trail. :yup:

Awesome, that makes me feel a lot better, really appreciate it. WAL fam is the best, seriously pumped to get out there with you all, the support is amazing!

Top Bottom