WAYALIFE EXCLUSIVE : Carrichs iPad Mini Dash Mount Special Pricing!

GraniteCrystal

Anybody know of a way to get the GPS signal from the Jeep into an iPad in the event the iPad doesn't have data? Would love to be able to use Google Maps for navigation.

May start a new thread to explore possibilities.

132JKPNW

Anybody know of a way to get the GPS signal from the Jeep into an iPad in the event the iPad doesn't have data? Would love to be able to use Google Maps for navigation.

I believe Bad Elf GPS makes some kind of gps unit that plugs right into an iPad or iPhone to solve that problem.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

BigBoy

I've used gps on my iPhone without data signal out backpacking before, you just have to download the maps while you have data. There is an app called PDF maps you can download maps the the gps overlays your position. Not exactly the same as nav but gets you your position on the downloaded maps. You can also still see your position on any other mapping app, but to get the new map data as you travel, that is where you need data.

GraniteCrystal

just make your cell a hotspot and turn wifi on the ipad!

I've used gps on my iPhone without data signal out backpacking before, you just have to download the maps while you have data. There is an app called PDF maps you can download maps the the gps overlays your position. Not exactly the same as nav but gets you your position on the downloaded maps. You can also still see your position on any other mapping app, but to get the new map data as you travel, that is where you need data.
Don't want to use data on phone though. Would work in on a long trip, but inconvenient and costly for everyday use.
If you use your hotspot on your cell and go out of cell reception do you loose the GPS ability on your iPad?
Cell reception is from cell towers. GPS is from satellites.

jms632

Don't want to use data on phone though. Would work in on a long trip, but inconvenient and costly for everyday use.

Cell reception is from cell towers. GPS is from satellites.

To clarify, if you have a wifi only version iPad you will not have map tracking ability without cellular reception. The iPads with cellular service are the only ones with GPS receivers built in. You can however connect a GPS receiver to the iPad via Bluetooth. There's no way to use the factory gps antenna for tracking on the iPad. That being said I would download a mapping app that lets you download maps off line. Even with GPS receivers the iPad can't download mapping images without a cellular connection using the factory maps or google maps app. A good one is navigon and there are several others.

jms632

Many manufacturers make Bluetooth gps dongles. Here are a couple...

IMG_0654.JPG

The dual is popular with the Baja community

IMG_0653.JPG

The farming glo is nice because it gives you access to glonass satellites as well.

GraniteCrystal

To clarify, if you have a wifi only version iPad you will not have map tracking ability without cellular reception. The iPads with cellular service are the only ones with GPS receivers built in. You can however connect a GPS receiver to the iPad via Bluetooth. There's no way to use the factory gps antenna for tracking on the iPad. That being said I would download a mapping app that lets you download maps off line. Even with GPS receivers the iPad can't download mapping images without a cellular connection using the factory maps or google maps app. A good one is navigon and there are several others.

Yeah, totally with you. Just don't want to spend money on aftermarket GPS when the Jeep has one. How confident are you that the Jeep GPS can't be tapped into?

Agreed on downloading maps in remote areas.

jms632

Well I'm not an electrical engineer but there are a couple of hurdles to overcome. The keeps gps antenna provides signal to the headunit through a coaxial cable. There's no input for this type of connection directly to the iPad. At best you could plug the antenna into a dongle that could transmit the signal via Bluetooth or wifi which seems a lot more trouble and expensive then just purchasing a $20-30 gps dongle. Unless there's is an adapter that goes from lightning to coax and there is an app to support the connection I don't see how it could be pheasable.

BigBoy

For the cost of those Bluetooth units you could spend a little more and get it built in to the iPad. Maybe even less if you buy used. You don't have to have the data plan for the iPad to work, but do need the gps feature, either Bluetooth or built in.

iRonin

You might have to have an iPad that's cellular enabled (3G/4G). Not that they are related per-se, but Apple chooses to not include the GPS hardware on the WiFi only models.

pxb006

I'm just curious how well the magnets are going to hold when your rig is bouncing all over the place off-road.

Top Bottom