Well wearing light tire

Tackerdown

Banned
Spring, sprang, sprung. beats the hell out of me but if you have two tires the same size, is the lighter one made cheaper or what. sorry I'm still learning?:idontknow:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Spring, sprang, sprung. beats the hell out of me but if you have two tires the same size, is the lighter one made cheaper or what. sorry I'm still learning?:idontknow:

A lighter tire will often times have much thinner sidewalls. IF you wheel your Jeep, this is a bad thing.

Bigfoot

:cheesy: Is it possible for you to just speak in plain English? Or, is this just how people with "common sense" always speak? Seriously, I've read what you just said three times and I'm still not sure what you're saying!
Many things don't come out as intended when posted in a forum and since I am not a native speaker I happen to make even more mistakes, especially when I really want to learn more about something. In regard to the "common sense" discussion I had apologized to everybody who felt it was inappropriate to use this phrase in the given context. I can understand why I was wrong as I don't only have to learn a new language but also a different culture. I am actually a nice guy, so please bear with me if you can!
:beer:

While I was looking for 35" tires and new wheels I had become interested in the question of how a heavier wheel and tire combination can affect the driveability and performance of a car. One of the key words that I had come across was the "unsprung weight" and I thought bl17z90 might be interested in it as well. If you do the math then the ratio between a 35" tire and 4.10 gears is not bad compared to 32" and 3.73 or 3.21, it is actually equal to 32 / 3.73 and still better than 32 / 3.21. So I was just starting to think that the reason why so many people complain about a loss of performance after upgrading to bigger tires might also be the added weight. That's where I came from when I added the "unsprung weight" to this discussion.

JAGS

Hooked
I am not a native speaker

Life is hard for a Sasquatch in the states. :thinking:

The rest of the post might have been good shared quite a while back. We might have helped you along phonically, grammatically, culturally and jeeply. Just saying. :yup:

bl17z90

Wow i leave for a few hours and this thread goes crazy.

So Eddie the extra weight of the trail grapplers vs the km2's for example is very little and would make no difference? I can't remember where i saw someone making a big deak about how heavy the trail grappler was so it concerned me.

But the question is a 2010 2 door with 3.73's on 35's will be just fine?

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Wow i leave for a few hours and this thread goes crazy.

So Eddie the extra weight of the trail grapplers vs the km2's for example is very little and would make no difference? I can't remember where i saw someone making a big deak about how heavy the trail grappler was so it concerned me.

No, no difference. I gain 20 pounds every winter just to help me keep warm but I can still walk the same as I do in the summer.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I can't remember where i saw someone making a big deak about how heavy the trail grappler was so it concerned me.

LOL!! I can tell you where you saw it, on the internet! :crazyeyes: Unfortunately, there are a lot of guys out there who make a big deal over what they believe instead of what they know. Fact of the matter is, the weight difference between a Trail Grappler and a BFG MT KM2 is literally only about 10 lbs. and that's far from making a difference.

What I can tell you is that I have done it in a 2009 X 4-door with an automatic, 3.73's on 35's AND, I have even done it with 37's. So long as you make sure to calibrate your speedometer properly, you will be fine. Will you loose some power? Sure, but not anymore or less than you would with slightly heavier tires. Trust me, I have tested out multiple 35" tires on that exact setup including BFG's and speak from experience.

jkjurny

I had asked about tire weight on this forum a while back. Here are the number for a 35x12.5x17 that I could find on the Internet.

Goodyear MTR w/Kevlar - 64lbs
BFG KM2 - 68lbs
Nitto Trail Grapp - 78lbs

I have the Nitto Trail Grapplers. Tire weight does make a difference on acceleration, and people who worked on rice rockets or muscle cars before getting a Jeep are probably falling back on this knowledge. But since we're driving Jeeps, it's really not much of a concern since we accelerate like crap anyway. Now if you were driving a sports car and you wanted that extra "oomph", tire weight may be a consideration.

Also, since we our purpose is different from a sports car, the heavier tires are more sturdy for wheeling, since you get the heavier side walls.

Eddie did point out to me on that thread that the heavier tire should be considered on how you mount the spare.

I've had my Trail Grapplers for 8 weeks now, and love them. I'd rather have the extra weight and have more trail protection, then get lighter tires with the small probability that I'll notice an acceleration gain at all.

I just wanted to point that out. As I'm a newbie, I had the same question, and my knowledge was from my rice rocket days from back in high school. Comes down to how you plan on using your rig, and in our case, the heavier tire has more pros than cons, especially since Nitto makes such a great tire.

bl17z90

Thanks Eddie!

I always forget you had Nemo. I'll be running 35's on the stock wheels like you did. Cindy actually posted a picture up once for me of how 35's looked on stock wheels awile back when I was asking about it.

Top Bottom