What’s this on the JL front axle

JAGS

Hooked
Since this is there, and could be a possible weak link for some, what is there to do about it? Hope and pray? Full swap on a brand new axle[emoji33]? Other solution?

WJCO

Meme King
It probably won’t take long for someone to make a kit with a block off plate and a one piece axle to replace this 2 piece design.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

If the seals are inside near the pumpkin, a company like Dynatrac could probably easily make a solid length right side shaft and call it good. Then like you said, just block off the hole and it's a done deal.

This ^^^ The FAD or front axle disconnect is designed to act like manual locking hubs in the open position. This is supposed to help improve MPG but at the cost of creating one more weak link. What I can tell you is that the engineers at Jeep fought hard to get rid of this thing.
X3
It's cool when Jeep brings back a design cue from Jeeps in the past. The front indicator lights on the JK from the CJ. Or the Jeep name on the front side panels bellow the wrangle badge.

No paddle door handles like the TJ.

Why did we get a throw back FAD from the YJ!?

Another electronic disconnect actuator to gag, and a more complex axle shaft replacement.

Ugh.

Mybadjk

Caught the Bug
X3
It's cool when Jeep brings back a design cue from Jeeps in the past. The front indicator lights on the JK from the CJ. Or the Jeep name on the front side panels bellow the wrangle badge.

No paddle door handles like the TJ.

Why did we get a throw back FAD from the YJ!?

Another electronic disconnect actuator to gag, and a more complex axle shaft replacement.

Ugh.

I agree. I’d like to see a new jeep with paddle door handles just like the half doors

Just wondering with the good prices available on a new JK now, if we're finding weak parts on the JL would it make more since to just buy a JK?
Or do you feel the JL is a big enough improvement overall?

Beowulf

Even if you replace the shafts with RCV, you still have a weakened axle housing because they cut a big hole in it to accommodate this idiot device. Having this on the Sport or Sahara makes sense. But on the Rubicon......really?

if there is not some sort of the cover plate to replace this, I guess, you can just cut off the fork, Disconnect all the electrical and bolt it back on.

Beowulf

New
Sadly, it was mentioned in this article back on 13-DEC-2017.

They mention a Software workaround. http://www.fourwheeler.com/news/1712-first-drive-2018-wrangler-rubicon-jl/

"Speaking of axles, the Rubicon continues to use Dana solid axles with the 44 designation. However, these are new axles based on Dana’s new Advantek architecture, which don’t share much with the JK next-gen 44s much in the same way the JK’s next-gen 44s didn’t share much with the TJ Dana 44s. The new JL axles are stronger and feature a different ring and pinion (210 mm/8.27 inches front and 220 mm/8.66 inches rear on Rubicon) and thicker axletubes. The Rubicon’s housings are stuffed with 4.10 gears and Tru-Lok electric lockers that can be engaged on the fly at up to 30 mph in 4-Lo. Sadly, front-axle disconnect (FAD) returns to help boost fuel economy, albeit in a more durable electric form, not the troublesome vacuum-operated system of the past. Thankfully, Jeep engineers have a software workaround that allows the FAD to be disabled for JL owners intent on replacing their front axle with a beefier aftermarket assembly."

Exodus 4x4

New
Sadly, it was mentioned in this article back on 13-DEC-2017.

They mention a Software workaround. http://www.fourwheeler.com/news/1712-first-drive-2018-wrangler-rubicon-jl/

"Speaking of axles, the Rubicon continues to use Dana solid axles with the 44 designation. However, these are new axles based on Dana’s new Advantek architecture, which don’t share much with the JK next-gen 44s much in the same way the JK’s next-gen 44s didn’t share much with the TJ Dana 44s. The new JL axles are stronger and feature a different ring and pinion (210 mm/8.27 inches front and 220 mm/8.66 inches rear on Rubicon) and thicker axletubes. The Rubicon’s housings are stuffed with 4.10 gears and Tru-Lok electric lockers that can be engaged on the fly at up to 30 mph in 4-Lo. Sadly, front-axle disconnect (FAD) returns to help boost fuel economy, albeit in a more durable electric form, not the troublesome vacuum-operated system of the past. Thankfully, Jeep engineers have a software workaround that allows the FAD to be disabled for JL owners intent on replacing their front axle with a beefier aftermarket assembly."

Not to mention you have to open up the transfer case. It’s not as simple as a software workaround.

woof359

toyotas

if you don't exercise them in the summer they tend to freeze up from non use, on Tacoma's we fixed a lot of them, got better in the last few years tho,

This ^^^ The FAD or front axle disconnect is designed to act like manual locking hubs in the open position. This is supposed to help improve MPG but at the cost of creating one more weak link. What I can tell you is that the engineers at Jeep fought hard to get rid of this thing.
Something tells me the after market will develop a work a around / delete for this.

Let me guess the hard core jeep engineers (that are jeeper themselves)...lost their fight to the bean counters.

Sure, looks good on a excel spread sheet, but real world in the field common sense? Meh.

sunnysideup

brings back nighmares...

I had the disconnect on my 84 xj... didn't know I had it until it failed on my first trip taking it wheeling. Hit a big snowbank... lost 4 wheel drive! Since I didn't fathom the vacuum harness getting pushed off with snow... I really didn't know what went wrong. it was used... maybe I has some big issues? So I got the shovels out ... dug the xj out, turned around and drove highways for the rest of the day... When I got home I read up a little bit, and found out it was an easy fix. One that I got pretty good at doing. Sorry to see anything like this back in a jeep.... but it sounds like the rest of the axle and housing are stronger?
Does anyone know about the early rumors that the ring and pinion won't be easily changed because of a different carrier set up? On the other hand it sounds like the tranny has deep enough gears that the gear swapping might not be as vital for performance?

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
It seems that if done correctly, it actually seems to be a good weak link, if it gives out before a shaft, it seems it can be quickly replaced on the trail to keep on moving. I guess time will tell. Also easier to carry a spare!

MMYoung

FAD a FUD

I can see this thing getting the crap beat out of in on the trails. I'm no engineer, but wouldn't it have been better to mount high on the axle instead of straight behind it?

Top Bottom