what do y'all think of this lift? Need help

F

Fionayeti

Noooooo....!

Well, you asked and you heard it, Rough Country is crap. This is YOUR Jeep brother! Treat it well! Go with Evo, JKS, AEV, etc. Show your Jeep some love!

Why is it that the guys who push the rough country lift always only have 5-15 posts? Yeah, compared to a full size chevy leaf spring lift, the rough country coils are the bees knees. That said, I do like little bit firmer ride myself as I don't like body roll in hard turns. Look, for the money, it'll get you in up enough to clear the tire. Is it a great lift? No. You can get what you want and roll the dice and maybe like this guy the ride will be good enough for you. If you break a bracket, get a better one and piece it together as you go. Just know a lot of guys and gals who actually wheel don't prefer this lift, some having owned it. I would also add in the attached pic, there is no flip kit on a 4.5 lift so there's bump steer galore. If that's not noticeable to him than take the recommendation of a good ride with a grain of salt.

Edit: Question... that looks to be maybe 33-35 inch tires max on uncut fenders. Are you sure that's a 4.5 and not a 2.5 lift? The steering setup make more sense then and wouldn't likely have the bump steer. Or is it a dropped pitman arm? Yikes!

Hello let me ask u some questions? Besides all the bias and all the other things i have seen 1. Why are u against Rough Country 2. Why are u comparing me to other guys with 5-10 Posts? (When i just joined this forum and i'm expressing my opinion and what i have heard and experienced from other Jeepers and mechanics), 3. Why would a guy that has been in the business for over 40 years and has been wheeling for over 40 years recommend this lift to me that is the best he has owned along with other items added to his liking, 4. Why do i see u in almost every post dog on someones rig or bash them? It's actually a 4.5 lift and my rig doesn't have bump steer galore and actually has a flip kit u just can't see it in the picture. I could right now go and drop $75,000 on a rig and customize it to my liking and put all the other (Best Brands On) but would it be better or would it put Rough Country under u don't know and with that being said everyone has there own preference, opinion and liking.

J

JKDream

Hello let me ask u some questions? Besides all the bias and all the other things i have seen 1. Why are u against Rough Country 2. Why are u comparing me to other guys with 5-10 Posts? (When i just joined this forum and i'm expressing my opinion and what i have heard and experienced from other Jeepers and mechanics), 3. Why would a guy that has been in the business for over 40 years and has been wheeling for over 40 years recommend this lift to me that is the best he has owned along with other items added to his liking, 4. Why do i see u in almost every post dog on someones rig or bash them? It's actually a 4.5 lift and my rig doesn't have bump steer galore and actually has a flip kit u just can't see it in the picture. I could right now go and drop $75,000 on a rig and customize it to my liking and put all the other (Best Brands On) but would it be better or would it put Rough Country under u don't know and with that being said everyone has there own preference, opinion and liking.

1. They make cheap quality products overseas.

2. Because nobody knows who you are, you haven't participated enough for people to take you seriously when you make a bold claim.

3. Because he makes the most margin on that particular product, and you have likely never driven a quality built jeep.

That's a pretty laughable that your trying to prove a rough country lift is anywhere up to par with a $75,000 JK.
Comments like that are why people don't take you seriously.

A lot of people seem to forget that people who work in shops are also SALESPEOPLE.
They will try and sell you whatever they make the MOST money on.
That is why forums like this exist, so people can research what is and is not a good product and make an educated decision.
Protip - If a lift kit is $500, there's probably a reason.

Last edited by a moderator:

AZ Explorer

Caught the Bug
1. Why are u against Rough Country
Used to sell all different kinds of lift kits and Rough country is known throughout the industry as an inferior lift with brackets that tend to break. Also they ride very stiff. Have driven countless customer rigs. Have had multiple customers replace that manufacturers lift and was told I was right, it's not a great lift.

2. Why are u comparing me to other guys with 5-10 Posts? (When i just joined this forum and i'm expressing my opinion and what i have heard and experienced from other Jeepers and mechanics)
Because when you are new here, your opinion doesn't mean shit. Nobody cares what you've heard from others or their experiences. After you're here for a while and interact and have a track record of knowing what you're talking about, then you will be taken more seriously. Also because you are in the 5-10 post count club and usually people just come on here to promote a brand and are not otherwise involved here. Just typical reactionary posts about why everyone should support what they bought (or sell).

3. Why would a guy that has been in the business for over 40 years and has been wheeling for over 40 years recommend this lift to me that is the best he has owned along with other items added to his liking.
Because that lift has a larger margin than some other lifts and he makes more money. Or he has never owned a quality lift and doesn't know better, who knows.

4. Why do i see u in almost every post dog on someones rig or bash them? It's actually a 4.5 lift and my rig doesn't have bump steer galore and actually has a flip kit u just can't see it in the picture. I could right now go and drop $75,000 on a rig and customize it to my liking and put all the other (Best Brands On) but would it be better or would it put Rough Country under u don't know and with that being said everyone has there own preference, opinion and liking.

You are completely full of shit. Feel free to find where I'm bashing in almost every post. It is a small handful and you will find such posts in the infirmary where people like you get all bent out of shape because they can't get past the fact that 98% of an entire website thinks their stuff (whatever part that may be)is junk. I have about as many negative posts as you have posts here ever.

If your lift is a 4.5, it's sagging like a son of a bitch because it's slammed on those tires. You do not have a flip kit, as I can see clearly that the rod end is on the bottom of the knuckle with the bolt sticking up. If you had the flip, it would be the other way. There is an entire thread about the EVO Enforcer lift, it's huge and full of great reviews. There are a few others for other kits. There is no thread here like that full of why rough country is so great. You will never, ever, convince people here differently. The op wanted opinions, he got them. Those opinions were given in the OP's best interests by people who don't want to see him regret his purchase. For me, I see hundreds of subjective opinions on certain kits and a tiny handful of subjective opinions about your kit and I think well, the majority of subjective opinions support EVO, or Rancho, or AEV, and so on, so maybe there's a reason. Then again maybe we're all wrong about it.

Being you are able to spend $75,000 on anything you want knowing it wouldn't be any better than your rough country lift, you clearly have the edge. If this information would have come out years ago, it would have saved Eddie and countless like him a ton of money that they wasted on that crappy double throw down system or even the low end bolt on coilovers. I'm so stupid, I thought King shocks would be better than the rough country ones that come with the $500 kit. What a horrible miscalculation on my part. I wish we had a sales guy with 40 years of experience to push us in the right direction.
:naw:

This rant brought to you by Rough Country Suspensions, quality so high, you can't even see it.

AZ Explorer

Caught the Bug
1. They make cheap quality products overseas.

2. Because nobody knows who you are, you haven't participated enough for people to take you seriously when you make a bold claim.

3. Because he makes the most margin on that particular product, and you have likely never driven a quality built jeep.

That's a pretty laughable that your trying to prove a rough country lift is anywhere up to par with a $75,000 JK.
Comments like that are why people don't take you seriously.

A lot of people seem to forget that people who work in shops are also SALESPEOPLE.
They will try and sell you whatever they make the MOST money on.
That is why forums like this exist, so people can research what is and is not a good product and make an educated decision.
Protip - If a lift kit is $500, there's probably a reason.

You got that part out there way faster than I did, and in more detail. LOL

MSJKU11

Caught the Bug
I have a question for yall since the discussion is on RC lifts. New to jeeps and lifts and bought mine with the RC 2.5 with shocks and dual steering stabilizer already installed. I have nothing to compare it to except a test drive on a 2016 lifted JKU that was stock everything else. The ride on my jeep seems smooth enough to me aside from feeling hard bumps but I'd assume that's just what you get with a jeep, not looking for luxury. I do hit small trails off road and the occasional mud ride. What do you recommend that I switch to or should I just wait for this lift to start having issues?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using WAYALIFE mobile app

AZ Explorer

Caught the Bug
I have a question for yall since the discussion is on RC lifts. New to jeeps and lifts and bought mine with the RC 2.5 with shocks and dual steering stabilizer already installed. I have nothing to compare it to except a test drive on a 2016 lifted JKU that was stock everything else. The ride on my jeep seems smooth enough to me aside from feeling hard bumps but I'd assume that's just what you get with a jeep, not looking for luxury. I do hit small trails off road and the occasional mud ride. What do you recommend that I switch to or should I just wait for this lift to start having issues?

Since the ride is good enough for you, you are good to run it. Keep an eye on the brackets and look for broken welds or stress cracks. How hard you wheel will factor in on how long they last. Harsh ride or jarring bumps do not have to be something that is a Jeep trait, it can be dealt with but it does cost a little more. For the wheeling you are talking about, you may never have a problem although in my experience I have seen a lot of those coils sag over a shorter time causing the Jeep to either sit lower or lean to one side or even have just a lower corner. Also watch the shocks for leaks and broken welds on the round ends of them. To be fair, that is not exclusive to RC. You can certainly wait to see if you have any of the problems because I don't believe the kit to be unsafe, just poor quality. If you get a chance to ride in jeeps with different suspensions you should take that opportunity. At 2.5 lift even the really good kits are pretty affordable so it won't break the bank to upgrade if you choose to.

Last edited:

MSJKU11

Caught the Bug
Since the ride is good enough for you, you are good to run it. Keep an eye on the brackets and look for broken welds or stress cracks. How hard you wheel will factor in on how long they last. Harsh ride or jarring bumps do not have to be something that is a Jeep trait, it can be dealt with but it does cost a little more. For the wheeling you are talking about, you may never have a problem although in my experience I have seen a lot of those coils sag over a shorter time causing the Jeep to either sit lower or lean to one side or even have just a lower corner. Also watch the shocks for leaks and broken welds on the round ends of them. To be fair, that is not exclusive to RC. You can certainly wait to see if you have any of the problems because I don't believe the kit to be unsafe, just poor quality. If you get a chance to ride in jeeps with different suspensions you should take that opportunity. At 2.5 lift even the really good kits are pretty affordable so it won't break the bank to upgrade if you choose to.
I think that will be the next upgrade I'm going to do is the lift and shocks. I'm certainly on a budget and will have to save for it. Looking to spend around 1200-1500. I'm not going for anything larger than 35 tires. I see evo is popular here and will most likely look into that brand or aev for a lift just unsure which shocks to pair with their 2.5 lift.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi

I wouldn't switch to anything else, if you are satisfied with it.

The hardness you feel with the bumps, is the coils, which are probably stiffer than stock. My Jeep rides fairly soft, with EVO front 2" coils, and the weight I have on the stock rear coils.

I know someone, that told me I was going to have back problems, because I drive a Jeep every day. Apparently his Rusty's Offroad lift is harsh, and he's thinking of selling. I think hard lift kits run more people away from Jeeps than you'd think. Keep in mind there are more comfortable options, if you start to feel that way.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

MSJKU11

Caught the Bug
I wouldn't switch to anything else, if you are satisfied with it.

The hardness you feel with the bumps, is the coils, which are probably stiffer than stock. My Jeep rides fairly soft, with EVO front 2" coils, and the weight I have on the stock rear coils.

I know someone, that told me I was going to have back problems, because I drive a Jeep every day. Apparently his Rusty's Offroad lift is harsh, and he's thinking of selling. I think hard lift kits run more people away from Jeeps than you'd think. Keep in mind there are more comfortable options, if you start to feel that way.

I would definitely enjoy a softer ride if it's possible. It doesn't hurt me at all to drive except for our MS holes which are unavoidable at times and I'm a nurse so I use my back often. I might just look into upgrading the coils first then and see if that helps alleviate the hard bumps.

longarmwj

I could right now go and drop $75,000 on a rig and customize it to my liking and put all the other (Best Brands On) but would it be better or would it put Rough Country under u don't know and with that being said everyone has there own preference, opinion and liking.

Pretty sure a 75k rig would eat a Rough Country rig up in a heart beat.....not sure what delusional world you come from but goddamn you're a dense one ain't ya?

The irony is I am running the Rough Country 2.5 inch spacer lift on mine. Is it ideal? No, but I got it off a buddy for free. I'll soon be switching it out for a Evo suspension :thumb:

notnalc68

I would definitely enjoy a softer ride if it's possible. It doesn't hurt me at all to drive except for our MS holes which are unavoidable at times and I'm a nurse so I use my back often. I might just look into upgrading the coils first then and see if that helps alleviate the hard bumps.

You could just swap out the coils, only. In EVO, you'd need probably 3" coils to replace your 2.5" coils, although you'd have to measure to figure out exactly how much lift you have, now. I know you can buy their coils separately. You probably can buy Rancho that way, too. The other components would only need replacement, if they break.

To measure lift...

IMG_9432.JPG

AZ Explorer

Caught the Bug
That's very helpful. I'll be doing some measuring next week.

If you do get shocks, the general consensus is that the best ones for the budget minded is the Rancho 9000 adjustable. That would be a great shock to pair with either the EVO or the Rancho coils and has the benefit of tuning to you comfort. You should be able to get coils and shocks well within your budget.

Edit: The Rancho 2" sport system with adjustable 9000's runs right around $650.00 You can always add half inch coil spacers if you really need it. With flat fenders 35's would fit. I would personally lean toward the 3" EVO coils notnalc68 mentioned and buy the shocks seperately, they run about $113.00 each.

Last edited:

notnalc68

If you do get shocks, the general consensus is that the best ones for the budget minded is the Rancho 9000 adjustable. That would be a great shock to pair with either the EVO or the Rancho coils and has the benefit of tuning to you comfort. You should be able to get coils and shocks well within your budget.

Edit: The Rancho 2" sport system with adjustable 9000's runs right around $650.00 You can always add half inch coil spacers if you really need it. With flat fenders 35's would fit. I would personally lean toward the 3" EVO coils notnalc68 mentioned and buy the shocks seperately, they run about $113.00 each.

Thanks. I forgot shocks.

Clutch

Caught the Bug

To add to this, Rancho has buy 3 get 1 free deals regularly.

Sent from my XT1080 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom