What do you think is the best tire??

Rob

Im very happy with the on road performance of my trail grapplers, but they do chunk a little in the rocks. On the other hand they are pretty sticky so I guess its kind of a compromise. They are extremely quiet for how aggressive they are.

LittleD-Tj

I am running the BFG KM2 and love every performance about it. Not very noisy on road and great traction off road.

TimzToy

I had the Nitto's and now I have the Duratracs. Both are great tires and are about equal when it comes to offroad capability but the Duratracs are better in the snow and on the road. I have a little over 15k on the tracs now and they are wearing great.

My wife loves her 315x70Rx17 Duritrac's on her 09 Unlimited. They wore well, did great in the snow as well as dry roads plus did good the few times she went off road. She just got her 2nd set of Duritrac's put on a few weeks ago.

I like my 35" MT/R's w/Kevlar, but might think about a set of Duritrac's on my 08 JK next time around?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Spartan

I currently am running 35" General Grabbers and love em. If I move up to 37s, I will likely run the Nitto Trail Grapplers. I saw an article shortly after I bought my JK that had a review on tires (2012, I want to say JP Mag did the review) and Nitto Trail Grapplers and General Grabbers where among the two best performing in all categories (snow, sand, mud, rock, etc).

This looks like the online article:
JP Magazine Tire Review March 2012

The link above was written in 2007

The link below was written in 2012
http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/wheels-tires/154-1203-the-hot-sheet-33-off-road-tires-tested/

From what I have read the TG's will work best if you have bead locks, because of the stiff sidewalls you really need to get down to 9 or less PSI for them to work their best off road. If your not running Bead Locks it sounds like you would be better with something that had a little softer sidewall like the KM2.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I have run a lot if different tires over the years and have to say that Nitto Trail Grapplers or Toyo MTs are the best for what you are looking for. Of all the tires I have run, Goodyear MT/R's have been the worst. Hard to balance, tracks funny and have really weak sidewalls.

Spartan

I have run a lot if different tires over the years and have to say that Nitto Trail Grapplers or Toyo MTs are the best for what you are looking for. Of all the tires I have run, Goodyear MT/R's have been the worst. Hard to balance, tracks funny and have really weak sidewalls.

Have you run TG's without bead locks? From what I have read the stiff/thick sidewalls that they have don't work that well with normal non bead lock wheels.

LoPo

Caught the Bug
Have you run TG's without bead locks? From what I have read the stiff/thick sidewalls that they have don't work that well with normal non bead lock wheels.

I have them on non-beadlocks. They work fine in a full or aired down scenario. Great tire.

LoPo

Caught the Bug
New MTR's ...best tire in the rocks that also has to work on the street dry-rain or snow.

^^^

Love my MTR's as well. I've had them in 35's and 37's. great on the rocks.

I've ran MTR w/Kevlar. I thought they performed really well in the rocks, dirt, and snow. However, in normal road driving conditions I HATED them. They tracked all over the road and at times pretty scary on the freeway. The Jeep also felt more difficult to control in high cross wind while going down the freeway. Much of that disappeared when I went to Nitto's and I didn't experience it with the Open Country MT's I had before the MTR's.

I've heard many complaints about the MTR's sidewalls slicing/splitting and while I never ran into the problem on the trail and lost a tire, I did notice a slice/split after returning from KOH and have no idea how I did that because my control arm broke on day one so I was basically just shuttling around to spectate and not really wheeling out there.

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?4816-Good-ole-MTR-s-w-Kelvar

If the MTR's work for you, great, but it's not a tire I'd recommend anymore.

rinkishjk

I will vote for ntg's. They performed perfectly this past weekend at the topless for the tatas event. Ran blue and black trails with jagged pointy rocks. Didn't even phase them.
My old pro comp MT's are a far cry from the Nittos.
Aired down to 12 psi.
Without a doubt I would get these tires again. Very pleased.

Attachments

• 1376614752581.jpg
    1376614752581.jpg
    170.3 KB · Views: 322
  • 1376614763967.jpg
    1376614763967.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 316

Rollincoal420

How's the tread wear been on the trail grapplers?

Anyone have experiences w the mud grapplers?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

Veetz

How's the tread wear been on the trail grapplers?

Anyone have experiences w the mud grapplers?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1376617325.690948.jpg this is the nitto mud grappler love it ...a little noisey but its the right kinda of buzz, lowered them to 20 psi and they were great took them to 15 psi on some rocks and sand I would buy them again...

Participate in life

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I love my mud grapplers! Great on pavement and I love the hum you get from them. Haven't had them off road yet but I'm sure they are amazing

Sent from my iPhone

Top Bottom