What I love about commuting in a lifted Jeep...

RonG

HAHA! That's awesome.

I had something similar, but instead of flashing oncoming traffic for blinding me, I gave the customary quick-flash to signal a cop ahead. Unfortunately, the 3rd guy I did that to was another cop! He didn't appreciate my warning

I was in high school with my coach in the passenger seat. We passed a radar trap and Coach told me to flash my lights and save someone a ticket. That someone ended up being another cop. Got me a twenty minute lecture but no ticket... I knew better then to throw Coach under the bus.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

BobNH

I was in high school with my coach in the passenger seat. We passed a radar trap and Coach told me to flash my lights and save someone a ticket. That someone ended up being another cop. Got me a twenty minute lecture but no ticket... I knew better then to throw Coach under the bus.

I never let anyone know about officers waiting on them. I see no need. They take the chance; if they want to risk it, it's on them to pay attention.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Rocralr

Hello all. I am the popo. Let me tell you a short story. I hate to get high beamed when I work nights. I was working one night when a vehicle coming my way had on it's bright lights. I did a quick flash hoping they would dim. They did not dim their lights so when they passed me, I was in a fully marked vehicle, I did a you turn and stopped them. The driver was a bail bondsman and he was on the way to the jail to bail out a suspect. I ran a drivers check on him and he was suspended. Being the nice guy I am I did not take him to jail. What I did was give him a ticket for driving while suspended and impounded his ride, putting him on foot. I'm not sure he ever made it to the jail or not but that's another story. I have a lot of stories as I have been an officer for over 40 years now. One and 1 half years to go. Drive safely. :blush:

fiend

Caught the Bug
Hello all. I am the popo. Let me tell you a short story. I hate to get high beamed when I work nights. I was working one night when a vehicle coming my way had on it's bright lights. I did a quick flash hoping they would dim. They did not dim their lights so when they passed me, I was in a fully marked vehicle, I did a you turn and stopped them. The driver was a bail bondsman and he was on the way to the jail to bail out a suspect. I ran a drivers check on him and he was suspended. Being the nice guy I am I did not take him to jail. What I did was give him a ticket for driving while suspended and impounded his ride, putting him on foot. I'm not sure he ever made it to the jail or not but that's another story. I have a lot of stories as I have been an officer for over 40 years now. One and 1 half years to go. Drive safely. :blush:

Is it unlawful to not dim your lights or to flash someone else who has high beams on?

Rocralr

to Fiend. It is unlawful not to dim your lights to on coming traffic in most cases. I quick flash for courtesy is ok and if they would have dimmed I would not have stopped him.

black pearl

Hooked

I had a incident not to long ago. On a dark back country road, had a oncoming vehicle with high beams on. Gave them a quick courtesy flash, they dropped to low beams. Then blasted their spot light right into my face. It was a fully marked sheriff car. I hit my breaks , and came to a complete stop as they passed. In hopes they would turn around and stop me, so I could give them a piece of my mind. On the dangers of blinding someone and being all around unsafe. I think they knew they had been a asshole, as they slowed way down as I sat there, then sped off.

Rocralr

The SO was wrong to do that. It seems the quality of officers especially new officers these days seems to be going a little downhill even in my department. I read reports and they are terrible. The writing is hard to read. The spelling is bad. New officers have a hard time trying to make complete sentences using police jargon. It is a lot worse than when I came on 40 years ago. I am sorry that happened to you and I would like to apologize for the SO. Stay safe.

BobNH

Is it unlawful to not dim your lights or to flash someone else who has high beams on?
Here's how it goes in NH. Since two wrongs don't make a right (but three lefts do), then high beaming a car within that range would also be against the law.
Screenshot_2017-12-13-18-30-35.jpg

Rocralr

To Fiend. I don't know if you are in or related to the law enforcement circle but there is the letter of the law and the sprit of the law. If you ever want to chat PM me and I'll send you my number.

BobNH

To Fiend. I don't know if you are in or related to the law enforcement circle but there is the letter of the law and the sprit of the law. If you ever want to chat PM me and I'll send you my number.
Sorry but my last post was for BobNH.
No worries, I'm good. I appreciate the thought though.
He asked a question so I gave him the New Hampshire version. That is the letter, and what matters at the end of the day (i.e. in court).
The spirit is transitory and subjective, depending on day, situation, personality, conditions and unfortunately apparent age.
Case in point-just last week I gave a local officer the full extent of my LED's because he was driving in a salty silver suv on a near dark road in cloudy conditions just before dusk. Was what he was doing illegal? No. But the conditions warranted doing more than the law required for better visibilty. I did to him what I always do in that situation, no matter who it is. I also knew it was an officer because I know what they drive, however I did it because I would have if it wasn't one. What I did was illegal and I knew it, but the conditions warranted. If it helps, he turned on his lights. And his brights. And the big light bar on the roof. Then all off again. He didn't pull me over, but when I checked my mirror, I saw his tail lights come on.

RCVRY

I feel bad when I can tell my headlights are blinding someone. It's ignorant. And if someone cuts me off, I'm glad to let them go on their way. Those are the people you don't want behind you.

Sent from my SM-G930T using WAYALIFE mobile app

sm31

One thing I appreciate about my Hella H4 e-codes is the sharp cutoff. It doesn't affect my vision, or how well they light up the road but it helps keep the glare out of people's rear view mirrors.

BobNH

One thing I appreciate about my Hella H4 e-codes is the sharp cutoff. It doesn't affect my vision, or how well they light up the road but it helps keep the glare out of people's rear view mirrors.
That can be said of any properly aimed headlights, including LED's. It's the aiming part people get wrong.
But I loved the Hella's in my TJ, they are very nice.

Madball

Driving around with coach at night. Something tells me you had a bigger problem then running laps if you snitched out the coach [emoji15]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using WAYALIFE mobile app

RonG

Driving around with coach at night. Something tells me you had a bigger problem then running laps if you snitched out the coach [emoji15]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using WAYALIFE mobile app

Actually, it was in the afternoon on the way to a game with three team mates in the car, as well.

But I appreciate the thought... could have sued the school system, the coach, the PD... might never had had to work. An opportunity lost.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Seahawkfan

Hooked
Actually, it was in the afternoon on the way to a game with three team mates in the car, as well.

But I appreciate the thought... could have sued the school system, the coach, the PD... might never had had to work. An opportunity lost.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

HAHA With the way things are going now it's never to late!!! You have a 30 to 40 year window to file a claim.

Top Bottom