What is the minimum under armor I should have

Eezybreezy08

As others have mentioned, you're good to go with just the factory skids especially being that you have a manual. As far as the EVAP goes, I have knocked mine off of Moby no less than 4 times and only had to replace it once. You will get a check engine light if you do get it knocked off but that's it. You won't need to get towed home. If anything, relocating it is what I would recommend being that an 08 won't have a factory skid. Of course, I never wheel my Jeeps so you can take what I recommend for what it's worth.

Oh yes, the never wheel comment coming from the creator of wayalife lol. In all honesty I appreciate your advice Eddie and everyone else's opinion to. And I will probably put things on as I can afford them. Now I'm not the best mechanic so as far as relocating my EVAP goes, where would you suggest the easiest place for me to me it, how to move it, and also do you already have a write up on how to relocate it. Like I said, I really do appreciate yalls advice. That's why I like being a part of this forum, and it's also why this is the only forum that I'm apart of, cause y'all have great advice and information on how to do things correctly. Thanks again Eddie and everyone for the imput

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
Oh yes, the never wheel comment coming from the creator of wayalife lol. In all honesty I appreciate your advice Eddie and everyone else's opinion to. And I will probably put things on as I can afford them. Now I'm not the best mechanic so as far as relocating my EVAP goes, where would you suggest the easiest place for me to me it, how to move it, and also do you already have a write up on how to relocate it. Like I said, I really do appreciate yalls advice. That's why I like being a part of this forum, and it's also why this is the only forum that I'm apart of, cause y'all have great advice and information on how to do things correctly. Thanks again Eddie and everyone for the imput

There is a nice open area above the rear axle. You can straighten the existing bracket to re use it. All you really need is a few feet of 5/8 fuel/vapor rated hose, a few hose clamps, and some 5/16 nuts and bolts. You can get everything to do it for probably $10 at your local auto parts store. I have seen kits sold for close to $100

Grubbicon

On my 07 I just put EVO oil and trans pan skids with the connector skid. Ive gone this long without it but finally decided to do just for the fact a buddy of mine in his LS TJ launched a ledge and landed on the trans it nocked it in park and wouldnt come out. That was a late night recovery. Thankfully his atlas came out of gear but still lot of dead weight trying to get off a mountain.

EDIT: I see your in TN what park were you at? A lot of great ones up there.

Last edited:

NevadaZielmeister

Caught the Bug
Hey y'all, to make it short, I went riding at a new park this weekend and kinda got into some different type of trails than what I was used to. It was a lot more boulders than smooth hills. So i got a little worried about the undercarriage on my jeep and got me to thinking what is some of the, at least minimal things, I need to do to protect it. So please, I have no knowledge of this stuff, all suggestions welcomed.

Judging by your user name I assume you have an '08 JK?

If you have an '07-'11 JK you don't need any additional skid plates. If you have a '12 or newer JK with an automatic transmission then you will want a auto trans skid plate to protect the out in the open and completely unprotected transmission cooler line that runs right under the front of the transmission. If you bash this line you'll quickly drain the oil out pf your transmission. If you have ANY year JK with a 6 speed manual you don't need any additional skid plates.

As mentioned just the oil pan skid is all I would worry about. Maybe add the trans pan skid while your at it if you have an auto

As others have mentioned, you're good to go with just the factory skids especially being that you have a manual. As far as the EVAP goes, I have knocked mine off of Moby no less than 4 times and only had to replace it once. You will get a check engine light if you do get it knocked off but that's it. You won't need to get towed home. If anything, relocating it is what I would recommend being that an 08 won't have a factory skid. Of course, I never wheel my Jeeps so you can take what I recommend for what it's worth.

Hahahaha love the sarcasm!

(And continuing with the sarcastic tone)

Well I have a TON of experience and you need to listen to me carefully Eezybreezy, read this thread http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?36495-Lessons-Learned-A-Story-of-a-Stick-versus-a-Rubicon on how I was able to disable a stock Rubicon with just a STICK!! Mad skills here my friend.

Kidding aside, the above long story short, if you have the automatic transmission, get at least the EVO Pro-Tek Transmission skid. Being that I have very little experience, I got the entire system, which integrated well with the EVO Long Arm upgrade into the EVO Transmission Crossmember. Heck, I even got the EVAP Canister cover.

Good luck and stay safe out there.

Eezybreezy08

On my 07 I just put EVO oil and trans pan skids with the connector skid. Ive gone this long without it but finally decided to do just for the fact a buddy of mine in his LS TJ launched a ledge and landed on the trans it nocked it in park and wouldnt come out. That was a late night recovery. Thankfully his atlas came out of gear but still lot of dead weight trying to get off a mountain.

EDIT: I see your in TN what park were you at? A lot of great ones up there.

I went to hawk pride down in Alabama. And it was a little bit different than what I was used to in hot springs Arkansas

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Rock Hard 4x4 makes a good kit and I would recommend it.

Eezybreezy08

(And continuing with the sarcastic tone)

Well I have a TON of experience and you need to listen to me carefully Eezybreezy, read this thread http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?36495-Lessons-Learned-A-Story-of-a-Stick-versus-a-Rubicon on how I was able to disable a stock Rubicon with just a STICK!! Mad skills here my friend.

Kidding aside, the above long story short, if you have the automatic transmission, get at least the EVO Pro-Tek Transmission skid. Being that I have very little experience, I got the entire system, which integrated well with the EVO Long Arm upgrade into the EVO Transmission Crossmember. Heck, I even got the EVAP Canister cover.

Good luck and stay safe out there.

So, I read your story, and WOW. Is all I can say. I know it sucks trying to keep everything calm while being without, considering I have 4 children myself. Anyways, glad you made it out. I tend to learn through ruff situations myself.

metalic

Wheeled mine for a couple years with factory skids. Finally broke down and added the rancho oil pan skid for insurance other than that the factory skid will take a beating

Eezybreezy08

Ive heard a lot about that place. Maybe one day Ill make it out there.

It's pretty good. I like the trails. It's a lot more rock gardens and boulders to climb over. I liked it. I just wish I would've had a better time the night before. It's s little hard to sleep, when you have them Alabama rednecks getting drunk till 4 in the morning, while having a wife crying cause she can't sleep and a 16 month old you are trying to keep comfortable while all that crap is going on, but that's another story for another thread ha

Coop

Caught the Bug
I also use Poison Spider's transmission cross member for those wonderful high center moments. Not really a skid but a consideration.

Brianmly

What would be your thoughts on Lower Control arm skids? Worth it or a waste of $50? I will be doing the Rubicon in a few weeks and was leaning towards at least the oil pan/tranny skid.

USMC Wrangler

What would be your thoughts on Lower Control arm skids? Worth it or a waste of $50? I will be doing the Rubicon in a few weeks and was leaning towards at least the oil pan/tranny skid.

I've added them to the front so far. (I have rears still sitting in a box, just need to weld them on.) My front LCA skids have more scratches on them than any other skid.

mo0s3

I have yet to hit my dang oil pan skid, but that was one of my first add-ons. The control arm skids on the other hand are a great addition and you will hit them on the Rubicon. I thought for sure my oil pan skid would be damaged going through Rubicon but still brand new looking. [emoji38]

I´ve a 2012 auto.

As mentioned by others, 2012 and up do not have any cover for transmission. I managed to get a thick tree stick between the front driveshaft and gearbox. The result was a broken shift linkage cable and some hours of work to replace it.

However, with just a little bit of more bad luck that particullary tree stick could have ripped of the cooler line instead or even worse, punctured the auto trans pan.

I´m not worried about engine oilpan since it is located much higher up and is actually a bit more sturdy. However, the automatic gearbox along with the cooler line and the shift linkage cable are very exposed. Not so much by rocks because most often you can see them but wooden stick can lure in the grass and find their way to the cooler line and other sensitive parts.

My advice, on 2012 and up, get a gearbox protection skid. The others already on the jeep, keep them, do not change since they are good enough and very lightweight compared to many aftermarket ones.

Stotch

Caught the Bug
I still dont have armor. Its on the list. My biggest concern is the oil pan though.

Sure wish I had gotten some sooner... at least for my 3.8L manual.
oilpan.jpg

I have yet to hit my dang oil pan skid, but that was one of my first add-ons. The control arm skids on the other hand are a great addition and you will hit them on the Rubicon. I thought for sure my oil pan skid would be damaged going through Rubicon but still brand new looking. [emoji38]

Lucky, at least you don't have to worry about the oil pan anymore!
I'll be putting one in this week, along with a new oil pan since the EVO skid wont fit over mine it's pancaked so bad.

I hit the rear control arm bracket too, but it still functions fine for now... might have to look into control arm skids too.

deadguy

Rock Hard 4x4 makes a good kit and I would recommend it.

If you have a 2 door and auto rockhard is a great option. That's my old plate that took a beating and it might not look it, but it's bent big time and saved my oil pan and auto trans pan. Rockhards plates fit awesome and plain work

Attachments

• 1472171991746.jpg
    1472171991746.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 161

mo0s3

Sure wish I had gotten some sooner... at least for my 3.8L manual.
View attachment 219545

Lucky, at least you don't have to worry about the oil pan anymore!
I'll be putting one in this week, along with a new oil pan since the EVO skid wont fit over mine it's pancaked so bad.

I hit the rear control arm bracket too, but it still functions fine for now... might have to look into control arm skids too.

YIKES, man you popped it good. Our buddy hit his evap skid pretty good I guess I have been lucky. Rofl you should see my resonator from the Rubicon ahhaha . It looks like a ice cream sundae bowl

Top Bottom