What made you choose the shocks you are running?

Your $419 steering stabilizer only masked whatever "darting issues" you were having. Most likely, you have too little caster. Also, the 5160's look great but it's not really an "upgrade" from 5100's per se - they simply come with remote reservoirs which are good to have if you live in the desert and do a lot of fast driving over rough terrain.

I also did work on the caster issues when the stabilizer was installed. Probably going to have to go with upgrades in the track arms also. Not sure how to address this yet.... Can not get the adjustment needed. The real issue is that I bought this jeep to replace my totaled 13, which I was very happy with. The 16 has a lot of lipstick on it, that won't work in my world.......fabtech 4 inch box lift (with many install mistakes)......cruddy shocks........stock steering stabilizer...........etc............so...........a little at a time, I will evolve it. So far, i am happy with the change in tires, shocks and stabilizer. I hated the 16 when I brought it home. Now I am at least starting to like it.

Anyways, thanks for the advice. Please help in keeping me on track with my upgrades. These Rubicons are fairly new to me..

SFS

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I also did work on the caster issues when the stabilizer was installed. Probably going to have to go with upgrades in the track arms also. Not sure how to address this yet.... Can not get the adjustment needed. The real issue is that I bought this jeep to replace my totaled 13, which I was very happy with. The 16 has a lot of lipstick on it, that won't work in my world.......fabtech 4 inch box lift (with many install mistakes)......cruddy shocks........stock steering stabilizer...........etc............so...........a little at a time, I will evolve it. So far, i am happy with the change in tires, shocks and stabilizer. I hated the 16 when I brought it home. Now I am at least starting to like it.

Anyways, thanks for the advice. Please help in keeping me on track with my upgrades. These Rubicons are fairly new to me..

SFS

Awe man, I'm sorry to hear that your previous JK was totaled. Glad to hear you're getting your new 16 starting down the path to where you want it to be though :thumb:

JKbrick

SFS

If you hated it it's too bad you couldn't have found a stock one and duplicated the 13 that you liked

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

If you hated it it's too bad you couldn't have found a stock one and duplicated the 13 that you liked

nd

I did gain some things in the 16. I like the front bumper, grill, rock rails, flat fenders, inner fenders, better. But the ride, and over all performance, need much attention. I did move a lot of parts off the 13 to the 16. But the suspension was toasted in the crash...............so.........................I was a coin toss on how to approach the new jeep. I will get it were I want it, for sure. Just will take a little money, time and research. Like I said in my first post in this thread, I am trying to do a little better in each mod..............not always is a little better linked to cost though, as I am finding out in a hurry:naw::naw: But it is my hobby rig, so part of the fun is in the build!:D

SFS

JKbrick

nd

I did gain some things in the 16. I like the front bumper, grill, rock rails, flat fenders, inner fenders, better. But the ride, and over all performance, need much attention. I did move a lot of parts off the 13 to the 16. But the suspension was toasted in the crash...............so.........................I was a coin toss on how to approach the new jeep. I will get it were I want it, for sure. Just will take a little money, time and research. Like I said in my first post in this thread, I am trying to do a little better in each mod..............not always is a little better linked to cost though, as I am finding out in a hurry:naw::naw: But it is my hobby rig, so part of the fun is in the build!:D

SFS

Sounds like a good plan

A.J.

FWIW I run 5160's with evo plus ride 4" coils and 37"s I do a little bit of everything with my jeep but spend most of the off road time on old fire roads. I like the soft spring with more aggressively valved shock combo. Crawls fine when disconnected but can still rally the back roads when I want to.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Rancho

Caught the Bug
Make sure you get the 5000X totally different shock than the "old school" 5000s'.
Hit them with a clear coat helps the finish last longer against mag chloride.
Other than that a lot of good info in this thread..

I've read the 5000's are similar to the 9000's set at mid can someone confirm? The 5's are very affordable and have probably gotten better since I had them last.

Sent from my XT1080 using WAYALIFE mobile app

chester

I'm running:
Rancho 9000's
Teraflex 2.5 coils

I'm very happy with it. It took a few round trips to work and back to find my sweet spot. My wife didn't like the way it rode when it was stock (Rubicon unlimited). Now she doesn't mind riding in it.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

professorkx

1. What shocks are you running and how did they compare to your stock ones?

KING 2.5 OEM Performance Series

4. If you got adjustable how often or do you even adjust them?

I adjust when off road to the particular terrain.

5. Do you think you over spent on some that are not even utilized to their potential?

Nope, I would spend this money again, no problem. I kept the stock Rubicon springs (I like the ride with the stock springs) and added a budget boost to fit 35 inch tires. My problem with the stock shocks was in the sand washes with whoops and other terrain unfriendly at speed, as the stock shocks did not have enough dampening control. As a result, I would compress the shock to the stop and rebound so fast that the front wheels would come off the ground. Swapped to the King shocks, and the Jeep is a completely different rig. I wheel with other 4 doors with different suspension systems, and no one can track with me in the whoops or other higher speed terrain except the one with a long arm suspension. On the road, I change the adjustment so it's pleasant to drive on the street. Don't think there is a lot of benefit in the rocks over cheaper shock options, but for the varied terrain I wheel, these shocks are the ticket. I raced off road motorcycles for years at the National level in long distance events (Hare and Hound, ISDE, etc), so I understand suspension tuning, and I wouldn't purchase without the adjuster.

xxJWPxx

I'm running the Bilstein 5100's as they are recommended with my Rock Krawler lift. Paired with the RK triple rate coils they provide a great ride on and off road in my opinion.

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
I am another w/ Bilstein 5100's paired with Evo Plush Rides. I'm pretty happy all around. although I am about 85% sure NR4x4 set me 3" springs with my 4" Long Arm kit... my jeep on 37's is ALMOST as tall as Jackal's similarly weighted rig, he's on 35s w/ a 4" Enforcer... my spring perch height measures out to almost 13" exactly (compared to the 9-3/8" Stock), so I only netted 3-5/8" of lift, but that is a whole other topic...

Anyway, I like the ride overall as I think the majority of my harshness is from Load E, 37/13.50 Toyos (10 ply). Ive been eyeing the SST Pro's; and they may be my next tire choice being that they make a 8 ply 37/13.50 which will probably soften things up a bit, but I still have a decent amount of life left in my Toyos.

I went with the shocks because they were free, and you cant beat free. They seem to do OK at relatively high speeds offroad, but I haven't really pushed it because I'm still running the factory 44's. but I really like them on the rocks.

While I like the bypass shock Idea, where I live/wheel it just didnt make sense for the money as I would RARELY get to use them to there full potential. Eh. If I could go back, I would do it the same over again. :thumb:

frenchjk

Caught the Bug
bilstein 5100 paired to an AEV 2.5 lift.....they were sold with it and for now i'm happy with them as DD and trail running machine.

Nic Try

I currently have the evo 4' plushride with 2.5 kings. I love the ride and can tell you that its worth the $$$$

I started with the Mopar 3" kit that came with fox remote res shocks and terraflex bump stops (the urethane active bumps). I can tell you that kits sucked, total waste of $$$. It sagged horribly (it lost over 1.5")

Anyways to answer the question, the ride and control ont he kings are great, no rocking or teeter and great rebound control (i drove the 4" kit for 2 month with the old foxes) and the kings offer much greater control. I know they are spendy, but if you can swing it, there isn't any substitute.

Mopar offered no support on that kit, i should have known to go to evo to begin with. I ended up spending the $$ 2x, but i love the current kit- could not be happier

Robertcrav

Is anyone running the Bilstein 7100's? These can be had for about $175ea, can be rebuilt/revalved ... thinking of pairing these with some 4" plush rides, they offer a couple of different base valve stacks 150/50; 170/60; 180/75; 255/70; 278/78; 360/80 and from what I've been able to research/poke around/google... 255/70 seem like the place to start... any feedback on that?

Bilstein_7100s.jpg

Texas Nick

Caught the Bug
I am another w/ Bilstein 5100's paired with Evo Plush Rides. I'm pretty happy all around. although I am about 85% sure NR4x4 set me 3" springs with my 4" Long Arm kit... my jeep on 37's is ALMOST as tall as Jackal's similarly weighted rig, he's on 35s w/ a 4" Enforcer... my spring perch height measures out to almost 13" exactly (compared to the 9-3/8" Stock), so I only netted 3-5/8" of lift, but that is a whole other topic...

Funny you've said this. I was just thinking about the time you,Stick, and I took the pic at Barnwell after doing the rock garden. im 100% sure you got the wrong coils. Im on the Evo lvl kit on 35s and you were about a hair taller than me. :hmmm:

Rancho

Caught the Bug
Real quick, I saw you mention Barnwell and thought Texas.
I looked at your location, saw Texas, Pasadena and got REALLY confused.
Then I figured it out.
:icon_crazy:

Funny you've said this. I was just thinking about the time you,Stick, and I took the pic at Barnwell after doing the rock garden. im 100% sure you got the wrong coils. Im on the Evo lvl kit on 35s and you were about a hair taller than me. :hmmm:

Texas Nick

Caught the Bug
Real quick, I saw you mention Barnwell and thought Texas.
I looked at your location, saw Texas, Pasadena and got REALLY confused.
Then I figured it out.
:icon_crazy:

:cheesy: Im actually amazed you know of a Texas off road park lol

Rancho

Caught the Bug
Actually ran it and old school Katemcy :)
I was the co-driver on the 2007 Ultimate Adventure all Texas based wheelin'.
Started out at Barnwell and ended at Katemcy.
Summer time, it was hot....
:cheesy:

:cheesy: Im actually amazed you know of a Texas off road park lol

Texas Nick

Caught the Bug
Actually ran it and old school Katemcy :)
I was the co-driver on the 2007 Ultimate Adventure all Texas based wheelin'.
Started out at Barnwell and ended at Katemcy.
Summer time, it was hot....
:cheesy:

Damn thats awesome! Cant believe i never heard about the run for that year. Im gonna try to find it on the ol Tube to see how it went [emoji41]

Top Bottom