What shocks to get

jdofmemi

If you’re looking at the ranchos the 7000’s are the better of the three. The 9000’s and the adjustability is kind of pointless. It doesn’t work. The 5000’s are cheap and good but the 7000’s are a bit softer for a few bucks more.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

On the 7000's, do you still have to unbolt them to change settings?
You did on the early ones, like 25 years ago.

After having them on my work truck, I hated it. They were great, but if you set them to work empty, then they were too soft with a load, and if you set them with a load they were great, but rode like you were on wagon wheels empty.

I swapped them out for 9000s so I could turn the dial when changing the load.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
On the 7000's, do you still have to unbolt them to change settings?
You did on the early ones, like 25 years ago.

After having them on my work truck, I hated it. They were great, but if you set them to work empty, then they were too soft with a load, and if you set them with a load they were great, but rode like you were on wagon wheels empty.

I swapped them out for 9000s so I could turn the dial when changing the load.

There is no settings to change on the 7000’s.

desrt4x

GPS led him to this situation, old mine that has been shut down since around 1920. He made it to the mine GPS showed the road continuing the back way out of the mine, crappy shelf road. Road went bad after about 1/8 mile and he had no where to turn around and no way to back out so kept going.

jesse3638

Hooked
GPS led him to this situation, old mine that has been shut down since around 1920. He made it to the mine GPS showed the road continuing the back way out of the mine, crappy shelf road. Road went bad after about 1/8 mile and he had no where to turn around and no way to back out so kept going.

Got to love common sense..:crazyeyes:

We have had our office people do the same thing. "This is road is really bad, well it probably cant get much worse"

desrt4x

Ok I put on the EVO 3" Plush ride and seems close to what I had but I haven't been offroad yet. Big difference on the appearances so I am going to try a nice trail to test out this weekend. I did notice that one shocks grabbed on the down stroke so I am going to get different ones.
What are thoughts on the EVO spec 2.5 with comp adjuster 3-5" lift?

Ddays

Hooked
Ok I put on the EVO 3" Plush ride and seems close to what I had but I haven't been offroad yet. Big difference on the appearances so I am going to try a nice trail to test out this weekend. I did notice that one shocks grabbed on the down stroke so I am going to get different ones.
What are thoughts on the EVO spec 2.5 with comp adjuster 3-5" lift?

I run these without the adjusters ( I forgot to order them because when I called to place the order with Drew, Mel answered the phone & I got all starstruck & wet myself :mad:) So I called back after I got them and Drew told me I wouldn't miss 'em - he runs them on his Jeep without them as well. Anyhoo, I was able to finally try them out on some really shitty rutted and washboard roads a couple weeks ago and I can say they perform as advertised. Gobbled everything up - it was pretty cool. I've never had shocks that worked as well as these. Whether or not you get the adjusters is up to you. Lots of guys swear by them but I can only comment on the non-adjustable. :twocents:

desrt4x

looks like they do good with flexing if you have them in your avatar picture.
I'm not sure about the adjuster, I would think you want it set soft for rock and slow runs, firm would be for faster runs on washboard road and potholes?

BaddestCross

I'm not sure about the adjuster, I would think you want it set soft for rock and slow runs, firm would be for faster runs on washboard road and potholes?
That would be correct. Also firmer to compensate for added weight or towing. I use the adjusters often on my RS9000XLs, but it really depends on how you use your Jeep. Most people are fine with a fixed setting.

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

Ddays

Hooked

That would be correct. Also firmer to compensate for added weight or towing. I use the adjusters often on my RS9000XLs, but it really depends on how you use your Jeep. Most people are fine with a fixed setting.

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

No issues with flexing but then again, I would think any shock should do ok in slow crawling mode. :idontknow: I had Foxes with adjusters on them previously and I wish I could tell you I can tell a difference between the two in crawling conditions but I'd be lying if I said I could. Honestly I only used the adjusters to compensate as BC mentioned above - firmer for added weight on the highway. I'm not suggesting that a softer setting wouldn't help in slow conditions - I can only say that after having both the adjustable and fixed, I haven't really found myself wishing I had the adjustable versions, which is pretty much what Drew at ORE suggested on the phone. Either way you can't go wrong with these shocks as they are really top notch in both versions.

BaddestCross

No issues with flexing but then again, I would think any shock should do ok in slow crawling mode. :idontknow: I had Foxes with adjusters on them previously and I wish I could tell you I can tell a difference between the two in crawling conditions but I'd be lying if I said I could. Honestly I only used the adjusters to compensate as BC mentioned above - firmer for added weight on the highway. I'm not suggesting that a softer setting wouldn't help in slow conditions - I can only say that after having both the adjustable and fixed, I haven't really found myself wishing I had the adjustable versions, which is pretty much what Drew at ORE suggested on the phone. Either way you can't go wrong with these shocks as they are really top notch in both versions.
A softer setting while crawling helps prevent dramatic unloading of the suspension under certain situations.

--

jesse3638

Hooked
Got my 2.5's (non-adjuster) back last Friday from being rebuilt and revalved. Hoping to get them installed soon and then I can tell you how they perform.

wjtstudios

Hooked
I have the king 2.5 adjustables and love the flexibility. You can absolutely notice the difference between the soft 0 setting and the firm 16 setting which makes the Jeep feel like my old CJ when compared to 0. But the higher numbers keep the roll out of turns on the road. I run typically #6 on the drivers and # 9 on the passengers and it’s a perfect road ride and the higher numbers on the passenger side reduce the JK lean. When I load it down, I’ll add 4 cranks to the rear to carry the extra load. When we hit the trails, they are dropped to 0 and they soak up bumps while on the move, but body roll really comes back into play on the road cornering if you don’t turn them back up on the way home. Just my 2 cents.

MudVayne

Caught the Bug
I have the king 2.5 adjustables and love the flexibility. You can absolutely notice the difference between the soft 0 setting and the firm 16 setting which makes the Jeep feel like my old CJ when compared to 0. But the higher numbers keep the roll out of turns on the road. I run typically #6 on the drivers and # 9 on the passengers and it’s a perfect road ride and the higher numbers on the passenger side reduce the JK lean. When I load it down, I’ll add 4 cranks to the rear to carry the extra load. When we hit the trails, they are dropped to 0 and they soak up bumps while on the move, but body roll really comes back into play on the road cornering if you don’t turn them back up on the way home. Just my 2 cents.

My next shocks..

desrt4x

OK, So basically you want it set to 0 unless you are on the highway. Someone told me that you want to set it to be firm on the washboard and whoops and soft for slow rock crawling, that didn't sound right to me.

rockwell

I’ve never had adjustables, but I just swapped out a set of super soft (blown maybe) OMEs for a set of King 2.0 EVO specs that are pretty firm. I found the OMEs to pogo stick in the rocks causing the Jeep to slam off the bumpstop. The firm Kings keep more of the weight of the Jeep on the tires for better traction instead of getting soaked up with the spring compressing and the tire stuffing. That’s my finding, opposite than others are stating. I think firmer in the rocks works better.

Top Bottom