What was done to your rig this week?

Angry Aussie

Pulled off my flares, tire carrier and evo rear fascia and dropped them off to get powder coated. Once I get those back I'll get everything I've ordered lately installed. Can't wait.

I'll be doing new axle shafts, PSC system and dynatrac pro grips along with installing the new tire carrier next week. I'll post up pictures as things go on.

Trail dog

Here is the new wheel and tire. Of course procomp redesigned the tire new tread pattern, so I'll be looking for bigger tires soon

Attachments

• 1453575204728.jpg
    1453575204728.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 358

professorkx

Drool!! Sweet set up. Would love to know more about it.

Swapped the stock Rubicon X rear bumper for a Pisoon Spyder Rock Brawler II bumper because it has a massive bearing pivot, swing away tire carrier and jack mount. For the Rotopax tanks, I used 4" x 1/4" x 48" flat steel and bent a 90 at 18 inches from the center on each end to make a leg (I run 35" tires, and not planning on going to 37"). The flat steel bolts behind the poison spyder tire mount to the swing away rack using the 4 bolts, so it's not going anywhere. Welded a piece of 4" x 1/4" x 12" at an up angle to the legs at each end so the tanks cleared the brake lights line of site, rounded to match the rotopax mount and painted everything flat black.

The shovel/Ax mount uses the two bolts holding jack, and is made from 3/8" x 1 1/2" bar stock bent at a 90 to give me a 5 inch leg and 9 inches over the tire. The hard part was holding the ax stable, so I added 3/8" x 1 1/2" x 8" bar stock welded at a right angle on the passenger side shovel/ax mount. I drilled a 5/16 hole in the thin part of the head of the ax, drilled a corresponding hole in my bar stock and welded a 5/16 bolt up from the bottom, so the ax is held in place with a nylon nut and washer. Used one of the holes in the top of the shovel head to mount much the same way,and you can see the nut in the picture. The hard part was the top clamps, as the 20" brake press I built won't bend a 1/2" leg, so I used a 4" cutoff wheel to score 3/16" x 1 1/2" flat steel so I could bend each corner in my vice. Welded the inside of each corner before moving to the next bend to make sure it held it's shape during the build process. The pockets are made from 2" x 3" square tubing cut in half and welded to the 3/8" bar stock. Used 4" adhesive furniture pad trimmed for each pocket to keep the shafts of the shovel and ax from rattling and getting chewed up.

Love to design and fabricate, and next week I start converting my 78 CJ5 to coil over kings and stretching 9 inches. With a 304, T18 Ford 4 speed, clocked Dana 20, Tom Woods shafts, lockers front/rear and tons of other stuff, it's already a great rock crawler, just needs better suspension. It's going to my youngest son who is a wounded vet so he has a great rig to wheel with us. Built him a Harley Bobber for getting home alive from Iraq, but after he broke his back training deploying soldiers, he can't ride it anymore, so gets another cool ride to keep him entertained, and it needs smooth suspension. He loved my old CJ5, so it's going to a good home. My boys are my best friends, so neither of them are staying home when it's time to play if I have anything to say about it...

ob_tj

Installed new headlights in my TJ and ordered a 20 in led bar and 4 led pods! Excited to get them and install them!

Top Bottom