What's the difference?

4X4PLAY

Looks like some incomplete information going on here.

Tree saver

Tow strap

Tug strap

All different in construction and application.

Tree saver is to SAVE THE TREE. Zero stretch. Usually on the short side - 6 to 10' in length. Typically on the wider side 4" or so.

Tow straps have minimal stretch and are designed for just towing a vehicle NOT RECOVERY. I very rarely see these available. 2-3" wide typical.

Tug straps may look identical to tow straps, but they have alot of stretch. These are designed for recovery. The energy of the moving vehicle stretches out the strap and that built up energy pulls out the stuck vehicle. The stretch also takes some of the shock impact out of the recovery. Usually 2-3" wide and 20-30' long.

A strap that stretches and is wrapped around a tree does two things. Firstly, strips the bark off the tree and kills it. Second it stretches and can tighten on the tree and in some cases gets stuck there depending on how it was wrapped.

Hope this helps.

Kudos to you man!! You are the only one to give a correct answer.

Chiromancer, I hope you haven't opened and used your "tow strap" yet, it is strictly a tow strap and should NOT be used for recovery. Recovery straps have an elasticity factor which allows you to pull another vehicle out gently and properly without the shock that is caused by a strap with no elasticity like a tow strap, (it is the shock or jolt that a vehicle will receive damage from.) A tow strap has about 0 to 2% stretch factor, a "snatch strap" has about 10% stretch factor and even better is a kinetic recovery rope which has a stretch factor of about 30%. The more stretch factor the more gentle and safe the pull will be, it is the kinetic energy stored in a strap that does the work and does it safely.

Here's a great video, [edited] unfortunately he didn't cover tree savers but a tree saver should be like a tow strap with no elasticity. You DON'T want the tree saver to stretch (NEVER use a recovery strap as a tree saver), if there is stretch and the cable breaks that stretch is going to turn something in to a projectile.

Anyone who wheels SHOULD have both a tree saver and a recovery strap (snatch strap).

Happy and SAFE wheeling!
Jeff

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Kudos to you man!! You are the only one to give a correct answer.

Chiromancer, I hope you haven't opened and used your "tow strap" yet, it is strictly a tow strap and should NOT be used for recovery. Recovery straps have an elasticity factor which allows you to pull another vehicle out gently and properly without the shock that is caused by a strap with no elasticity like a tow strap, (it is the shock or jolt that a vehicle will receive damage from.) A tow strap has about 0 to 2% stretch factor, a "snatch strap" has about 10% stretch factor and even better is a kinetic recovery rope which has a stretch factor of about 30%. The more stretch factor the more gentle and safe the pull will be, it is the kinetic energy stored in a strap that does the work and does it safely.

Here's a great video, [edited] unfortunately he didn't cover tree savers but a tree saver should be like a tow strap with no elasticity. You DON'T want the tree saver to stretch (NEVER use a recovery strap as a tree saver), if there is stretch and the cable breaks that stretch is going to turn something in to a projectile.

Anyone who wheels SHOULD have both a tree saver and a recovery strap (snatch strap).

Happy and SAFE wheeling!
Jeff

Oh, I get it, you dug up this old crusty thread that was started back in 2012 just so you can make your very first post here pimping the YouTube videos you just made highlighting recovery straps. :naw:

Seriously, do us all a favor and start up your own forum and go pimp there.

4X4PLAY

Oh, I get it, you dug up this old crusty thread that was started back in 2012 just so you can make your very first post here pimping the YouTube videos you just made highlighting recovery straps. :naw:

Seriously, do us all a favor and start up your own forum and go pimp there.

Haha That wasn't the case at all, I was was researching something and came across this thread, I didn't dig it up, I actually mistook the date somehow. I see it now and realize my error, I certainly wouldn't expect buddy to still have his strap unused over a year later.

I wasn't trying to promote a video at all, there was some poor info given and I figured posting a video demonstrating straps would help benefit those that obviously were confused about straps.

My apologies!

Regards,

Jeff

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Haha That wasn't the case at all, I was was researching something and came across this thread, I didn't dig it up, I actually mistook the date somehow. I see it now and realize my error, I certainly wouldn't expect buddy to still have his strap unused over a year later.

I wasn't trying to promote a video at all, there was some poor info given and I figured posting a video demonstrating straps would help benefit those that obviously were confused about straps.

My apologies!

Regards,

Jeff

And why exactly do you need to do research for something you're already a self-proclaimed expert on? :thinking:

Top Bottom