Which front bearing/hub assembly

biggy

I guess its one or the other but if its moving with just light hand pressure I would bet on the unit bearing. Check both items though and let us know.

Tackerdown

Banned
Definitely bearing assembly. I can wiggle it with one hand easily and the disc/caliper assembly wiggles with it. I'm guessing it can't fall off while driving?

Tackerdown

Banned
I hate to assume.

I had about an 1/8" movement with my 37s. I thought it was the unit bearing but it turned out to be my ball joints.

They were still stock ball joints. Put dynatrac pro steer in and no more issues.

I've heard good things about Temkin bearings but they are pricey! Probably get what you pay for though.

WAYALIFE APP 
I'm at a good 1/2" after just checking it again. Temkin does seems to come up alot in my search I think I'll go with them thanks.

Moochie

Definitely bearing assembly. I can wiggle it with one hand easily and the disc/caliper assembly wiggles with it. I'm guessing it can't fall off while driving?

Just like JeepKeeper said.
If the caliper moves with the wheel it's a bad ball joint. Caliper is attached to the knuckle. I had a destroyed unit bearing which caused the rotor to rub the caliper bracket.

Last edited:

Tackerdown

Banned
If the caliper moves with the wheel it's a bad ball joint. Caliper is attached to the knuckle. I had a destroyed unit bearing which caused the rotor to rub the caliper bracket.

This just doesn't add up. I can see the assembly move but don't see any movement in the ball joints.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Moochie

This just doesn't add up. I can see the assembly move but don't see any movement in the ball joints.

My unit bearings lasted about 90,000 miles with 32's, 35's and 37's. I'm on my 3rd set of ball joints which are ProSteers, they should be the last I need to buy. They have 50,000 miles on them. How many miles on your Jeep?

Tackerdown

Banned
My unit bearings lasted about 90,000 miles with 32's, 35's and 37's. I'm on my 3rd set of ball joints which are ProSteers, they should be the last I need to buy. They have 50,000 miles on them. How many miles on your Jeep?

Only 50,000

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass

Your not going to see any movement in the ball joints. You need a micrometer to measure them. If your running stock ball joints I would put money on that before your unit bearing. I only lasted 20k miles on 35's before the ball joints were shot.

Moochie

A lot of the time when a unit bearing is starting to fail the dash will light up with ABS, ESP and traction control lights. The wheel speed sensor is part of the unit bearing and can be damaged when the bearing starts to wear down.

txjeeplover

A lot of the time when a unit bearing is starting to fail the dash will light up with ABS, ESP and traction control lights. The wheel speed sensor is part of the unit bearing and can be damaged when the bearing starts to wear down.

Correct! And as others pointed out, if the caliper and rotor assembly move with the tire, then the knuckle is moving as a unit and one (or both) of the ball joints has failed. To be certain, you can remove the tire and inspect the bearing. A failed bearing will have play and movement independent of the knuckle.

Oh and I have always been a fan of Timken. I personally think that you have a failed ball joint, but if you do have to get a new bearing, I'd find the local parts store that has the best warranty on a Timken and spend my dollars there.

DKronk42

A good buddy of mine works for a bearing and drives company, they move alot of timken bearings, im pretty sure they are US made for the most part, ill get clarification from him in the am.

Tackerdown

Banned
Ok, thanks all I'll have to pull this again tonight and look closer. I guess the wife just gets a little crazy at the mall parking lots.:crazyeyes:

biggy

My driver side bearing went at 45000 and passenger side at 55000. Just did my bj's at 65000. Most of those miles on 37's

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using WAYALIFE mobile app

JayKay

Caught the Bug
Easiest way to check for the ball joint movement is to have someone move the tire from top to bottom, pay attention to the stud/nut position in correlation to the axle "C", NOT THE KNUCKLE. If the ball joint is bad, the knuckle will move in and out. If you think about it, the ball joint won't have a lot of movement if you're getting 1/4" of movement at the outermost edge of the tire.

I replaced mine recently. I found the best price from RockAuto.XXX Part number HA590242,Wheel Bearing & Hub Assembly.$90.79/EA. $10.00 shipping for both. I have an 08 JKU 4 door.:rock:

Tackerdown

Banned
Also, just heard back from my buddy, according to him the product your after is made in the usa.
tks , while I was searching tonight that came up. I'm much happier now.

I replaced mine recently. I found the best price from RockAuto.XXX Part number HA590242,Wheel Bearing & Hub Assembly.$90.79/EA. $10.00 shipping for both. I have an 08 JKU 4 door.:rock:
That is a few bucks cheaper thanks. I'm hoping to buy one and then get a replacement bearing for the bad one if it's repairable so I have a spare.

Top Bottom