Which Game Camera

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I initially dismissed cellular ones all together because of the extra cost but then more and more I realized the convenience for me may be worth it. It will be great for year round scouting without having to drive/hike back out to spots.
I tried the chip ones and found that it just wasn't practical for how far I am from where the camera is from me. I literally wouldn't be able to see what was on it for weeks at a time in some cases. But, the cell ones kinda scared me off being that I wasn't sure how the plans worked and how much it would ultimately cost. Of course, there still is the issue of whether or not I'll even have service where I need it. Hoping it works out.

WJCO

Meme King
Well, I went to Bass Pro yesterday and bought the Tactacam Reveal X Pro starter pack but they didn't have the matching solar panel. So, I bought a Moultrie Universal 10w panel and it came with the adapter I needed to make it work. Charged up everything and so far so good. Looking forward to putting it out and seeing what it sees. Just hoping we have enough ATT service out there.
Very cool. Hope it works out for you. Are you going to set it up locally now just get familiar with it?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Very cool. Hope it works out for you. Are you going to set it up locally now just get familiar with it?
I hooked everything up and subscribed to the ATT service just to see how it all worked. So far, it seems to do what I want and the images look good. Still not sure how to get videos other than from the chip though. Hoping to set it up out on the property in the next day or so.

WJCO

Meme King
I hooked everything up and subscribed to the ATT service just to see how it all worked. So far, it seems to do what I want and the images look good. Still not sure how to get videos other than from the chip though. Hoping to set it up out on the property in the next day or so.
In your home feed, tap and hold the image that you want to see video on. It will highlight green. Then at the bottom, touch HD. New window will pop up asking you if you want a pic or video. The very first time it will tell you if it's free or not or if you want to upgrade to unlimited. I did unlimited.

Screenshot_20231218-125942.png

WJCO

Meme King
Then it will send it to your gallery. Sometimes it's instant, sometimes not. You can adjust your camera settings to make it send as fast as possible too.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
In your home feed, tap and hold the image that you want to see video on. It will highlight green. Then at the bottom, touch HD. New window will pop up asking you if you want a pic or video. The very first time it will tell you if it's free or not or if you want to upgrade to unlimited. I did unlimited.

View attachment 399431
Awesome! That's a BIG help!! The stupid manual that came with my cam was totally out of date and none of the images they showed in it were remotely the same as what I was seeing on my app or computer. I just started to do some online research on this but you were way faster LOL

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

View attachment 399431
Okay, that worked but I was prompted to pay $5 for 50 HD photos or video downloads. When I signed up, I did so with an Unlimited plan but is it safe to assume you still have to pay on top of it?

WJCO

Meme King
Okay, that worked but I was prompted to pay $5 for 50 HD photos or video downloads. When I signed up, I did so with an Unlimited plan but is it safe to assume you still have to pay on top of it?
I'm pretty sure the initial unlimited plan is how many photos they'll allow the camera to take. In other words if you didn't have the unlimited plan, it would stop at a certain point.

The Xtra plan after that is for requesting HD photos and videos. I paid $9 and it was call 'xtra' and it comes with unlimited photos or videos. When you're prompted, there should be a link for Xtra. If not, it may be in the account settings.

Sucks that they get you twice but from what I can tell, there's no more fees after that.

WJCO

Meme King

How Do I Sign Up for Xtra?

• Ready to dive into Xtra goodness? Here's how to activate it:
    • Go to your Account Icon in the bottom right.
    • Select Plan.
    • Toggle the Xtra Add-On to the "On" Position.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I'm pretty sure the initial unlimited plan is how many photos they'll allow the camera to take. In other words if you didn't have the unlimited plan, it would stop at a certain point.

The Xtra plan after that is for requesting HD photos and videos. I paid $9 and it was call 'xtra' and it comes with unlimited photos or videos. When you're prompted, there should be a link for Xtra. If not, it may be in the account settings.

Sucks that they get you twice but from what I can tell, there's no more fees after that.
Okay, that makes sense and really, it's not that much more of a cost. I hardly think I'd need to download that many videos.

If all works out, I'll be buying more of these cams for sure. Thanks again for the tip, help and info on it (y)

WJCO

Meme King
Okay, that makes sense and really, it's not that much more of a cost. I hardly think I'd need to download that many videos.

If all works out, I'll be buying more of these cams for sure. Thanks again for the tip, help and info on it (y)
No problem. If you add a camera, you'll have to pay for another cell plan but you do not have to pay the Xtra thing again. At least I didn't.

I found myself downloading a lot of videos the first day because photos didn't have anything in them. After seeing the videos , most of them were birds flying by and it didn't show in the main image. I know that now. I have the sensitivity set on 5 for mine. Birds still set them off, but so far wind and rain hasn't. And they definitely trigger when a squirrel or bigger comes by.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I have the sensitivity set on 5 for mine. Birds still set them off, but so far wind and rain hasn't. And they definitely trigger when a squirrel or bigger comes by.
I see that the default setting is 7. Was that causing too many hits? Also, is it safe to assume you can only change this on the cam itself? I see the setting on my computer and on the app but do see a way to change the setting on either.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
You guys are selling me on that camera more and more. I went and looked at mine today after a day and a half and there was two opossums at one camera and a deer an an opossum at the other. Might have to put a trap out for those things even though it’s not the season. I guess if it wonders into the trap and can’t get it I technically didn’t kill it. 🤷🏼‍♀️

WJCO

Meme King
I see that the default setting is 7. Was that causing too many hits? Also, is it safe to assume you can only change this on the cam itself? I see the setting on my computer and on the app but do see a way to change the setting on either.
Mine was on 7 from factory but I changed it to 5 right away. I was afraid the windy branches would trigger it. I changed it on the camera originally but app said different so I changed it there too. But two videos I watched said you can change it from the app remotely. Every time I've changed settings on the app though, it says it could take up to 24 hours.

WJCO

Meme King
Last night was our first night with no deer. But plenty of other critters. This fox is a real character though. He pays the data plan for sure. 90% of our camera triggers is this guy. He's fun to watch. Stops by like 20 times per night (last 3 nights). He's out there right now as I type this . We were thinking about trapping him because it would be so easy but he's not harming anything for us. Our neighbors down the road have chickens in the late summer but we haven't heard of any issues as of now. It's cool though to get instant notifications on the activity.

3a079293-03f7-4ffa-bb8e-22f3dcbee955.jpg 506fc609-0a61-4a19-a5a3-73d3e464ebb6.jpg

Top Bottom