Which hood latches

Kyle7R

Are you here in CO already? We were up in Ft Collins this morning.
We sure are, got here late last night. I wish I had known, coulda used a hand with the heavy stuff! Lol.

I'll shoot you my number in a PM, if you're up here again give me a buzz. We were thinking of maybe doing some exploring this weekend if we can.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using WAYALIFE mobile app

tyscty

After having the rugged ridge latched on for almost three years Ivan honestly say what a mistake. The have rubbed spots on the hood (due to width) and on the bid/hood seams because they close so tightly. I mean that's why I bought them because I wanted my hood to stop flopping but didn't want rust spots on a 3 year old rig. No going back to stock clips with daystar bands.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
After having the rugged ridge latched on for almost three years Ivan honestly say what a mistake. The have rubbed spots on the hood (due to width) and on the bid/hood seams because they close so tightly. I mean that's why I bought them because I wanted my hood to stop flopping but didn't want rust spots on a 3 year old rig. No going back to stock clips with daystar bands.

Where are they rubbing? Do you have photos? Could it be because they are adjusted too tight?

VeruGE*144

Caught the Bug

What?

.....…...............................................................
MY BUILT/REBUILD: http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?44123-Rebuilt-of-a-Billet-Silver-mall-crawler&p=859931#post859931

jeeeep

Hooked

wow, you must have them on really tight if they're making contact with the hood - if I recall the instructions indicate to adjust just so the hood slightly compresses the hood bumpers.

mine aren't on very tight and the hood doesn't flutter at all.

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug

Are you running them on a Hard Rock style hood? I had read (somewhere??) before I purchased mine, that the RR latches need to be shimmed or trimmed to clear the Hard Rock hood. Hell, I read it on the internet... so it must be true. Anyhow, I've had no problems with mine in 3 years.

Good call on not getting the Drake's. They are trash. Mine literally fell apart after being on for only 1 year. Brittle plastic and not that great of a design.

devonn216

I've had the Drakes for over a year and overall I have had no problems. I like the look as well. They are a little harder to deal with because you have to get the holes to line up in order to slide the pin through instead of just having an easy latch style. I would recommend them though. They look great and they are pretty stout. Not sure why HighwayTrout's fell apart. That sucks.

Kyle7R

Good call on not getting the Drake's. They are trash. Mine literally fell apart after being on for only 1 year. Brittle plastic and not that great of a design.
How did they fall apart? I don't recall much (if any) plastic on mine, though they are packed away right now so I can't check.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using WAYALIFE mobile app

gheller

The reason I bought mine in the first place was that I kept hearing about hood flutter with Jeeps and so the RR hood latches were one of the mods I had waiting before taking delivery. Never got around to installing them.

I never experienced hood flutter yet, and have had her up to 85mph on the parkway, windy days, cross winds, etc.
I do still have the air dam (modified to fit with the new bumper) and also have the Bolt hood lock which probably helps.

Anyway, I'll get to installing the RR latches soon as they look better than the stock ones.

Sent from Earth to Space and back...can ya give it a second!? WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

WJCO

Meme King
Glad we ended up with the Rugged Ridge ones. Easy, fast install. Look good and feel well-built. Instructions were easy to follow.

IMG_20170404_151441_831.jpg

Top Bottom