Winch question: Warn VR vs M Series?

Jk909

I'm glad this thread came up. Being on a tightish budget I recently decided I'd go with the M8000 for my lightly modded JKU on a budget. My thoughts being on a budget would be to get this for $600 with steel or $850 for synthetic...

View attachment 164313

I see quadratech has the steel version for a little less than Northridge. If someone is really worried about a minor price difference, a smart shopper would find a verified lower price and call their vendor of choice to get a price match. Maybe they would match, maybe they wouldn't, but you know someone has a better price out there if they don't. Just my dos centavos...

View attachment 164314

A couple of years ago my buddy went out wheeling and got stuck. His friend was winching him out with a warn with steel cable. The cable snapped, went through the windshield and basically took 1/3 of the dudes skull off of his head. After hearing about it and seeing pics I was too nervous to run steel cable. Lots of folks do and that's just fine but it's something that I won't forget.

USMC Wrangler

Nr will match and I'd personally go with synthetic line

A couple of years ago my buddy went out wheeling and got stuck. His friend was winching him out with a warn with steel cable. The cable snapped, went through the windshield and basically took 1/3 of the dudes skull off of his head. After hearing about it and seeing pics I was too nervous to run steel cable. Lots of folks do and that's just fine but it's something that I won't forget.

Synthetic is the plan the more I've read about it. Might as well for the minor price difference. It's not worth hurting or killing someone to me.

ITLL GO

Just picked up the M8000 in steel line based on everyones feedback for my CJ. It's a V8 so not worried about the weight. However, I'm saving up for the a synthetic Warn for my Jk. I also got one of my retailers to price match Amazon.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1441980763.017415.jpg

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Just picked up the M8000 in steel line based on everyones feedback for my CJ. It's a V8 so not worried about the weight. However, I'm saving up for the a synthetic Warn for my Jk. I also got one of my retailers to price match Amazon.

Congratulations on your new winch! An M8000 is more than enough for your CJ and really, I know several guy with one on their 4-door JK and they still work great. :thumb:

ITLL GO

Congratulations on your new winch! An M8000 is more than enough for your CJ and really, I know several guy with one on their 4-door JK and they still work great. :thumb:

Thank you Eddy. After everyone's story's and experiences, it was truly the best investment for me. Once again WOL saved my wallet. I'm gunna have to pick up a sticker or banner soon!

WJCO

Meme King
Congrats. I too got a Warn (Zeon). The price hurt at first but I'm sure glad I have it. Prior to buying it, I couldn't find any negative feedback about Warn other than the price! It was worth the peace of mind for me to just fork out the $. Used it for the first time (other than playing in the yard with it, :) ) about 2 weeks ago. Got stuck going uphill with a large rock in front of each front tire and rear diff sitting on a slanted rock. The winch got us out in about 30 seconds. I got to tell my wife that we probably saved ourselves a 1000 dollar tow (based on where we were at) so the winch was worth the money, and we didn't have to spend the night with the kids in the woods. The price tag hurts less now for both of us since it saved us!

WJCO

Meme King
I have the snythetic as well (mainly for the weight savings). I love the winch. It's sharp looking too. I have a WJ not a JK, but still love the winch.

Top Bottom