Would you like to add a tip?

JAGS

Hooked
For me, this is not about tipping but rather, being forced to tip in order to pay for something. That was the only option that the OP was given and to me, that is wrong.
A tip has always been for a service offered above and beyond. Doing your job and making me a sandwich to which I take a leave or like Starbucks and getting a coffee and leaving doesn’t deserve a tip. That is your job that you are getting paid to do.
Totally agree. Not having an option for no tip is BS and I’d hate to be the cashier/worker at this place as they know it makes folks uncomfortable.

I don’t mind having an option to tip at checkout. If they are friendly, provide good service, or get to know me and my order, I have no prob tipping a buck or couple bucks. But I shouldn’t feel obligated to tip for standard or mediocre service. Companies should pay their workers fairly. Example….no tip jar or tip payment option for In-n-Out. And they always provide some of the best customer service.

GP NOIR

Hooked
I don’t mind tipping, but it should be my choice. When I get poor service, not only will I leave no tip, but have walked out without paying. One night a restaurant gave us horrible service, spilled our order, lied to us and gave equally poor service to other guests.

At first we gave them a break because it was Covid, the chef called in sick, they were understaffed and everyone was inexperienced. However, they were unprofessional about the whole thing. After finishing our drinks, we walked out and told the cashier we weren’t paying for anything.

Another time I told the guy at Subway no sticker on the sandwich wrap. He stuck a sticker on it and when I pointed out I asked for no sticker he said “What’s the big deal?”

I walked out without a word.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I don’t mind tipping, but it should be my choice. When I get poor service, not only will I leave no tip, but have walked out without paying. One night a restaurant gave us horrible service, spilled our order, lied to us and gave equally poor service to other guests.

At first we gave them a break because it was Covid, the chef called in sick, they were understaffed and everyone was inexperienced. However, they were unprofessional about the whole thing. After finishing our drinks, we walked out and told the cashier we weren’t paying for anything.

Another time I told the guy at Subway no sticker on the sandwich wrap. He stuck a sticker on it and when I pointed out I asked for no sticker he said “What’s the big deal?”

Stealing and not leaving a tip are two different things.

GP NOIR

Hooked
I didn’t steal. I told the restaurant we weren’t paying for the orange juice due to such poor service and they agreed.

When I walked out of Subway, I did not take the sandwich.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass

I didn’t steal. I told the restaurant we weren’t paying for the orange juice due to such poor service and they agreed.

When I walked out of Subway, I did not take the sandwich.
Funny how the story changes or you add the rest of it. Saying you told them you weren’t paying and walked out is stealing. That’s what you said. Just because service is poor doesn’t mean you don’t pay for product.

Funny how the story changes or you add the rest of it. Saying you told them you weren’t paying and walked out is stealing. That’s what you said. Just because service is poor doesn’t mean you don’t pay for product.
In some cases "service" is an essential part (or even a greater part) of the "product", and if the expected service is not provided, the business should owe the customer for "damages" because the customer has been harmed.

TrailHunter

Hooked
In some cases "service" is an essential part (or even a greater part) of the "product", and if the expected service is not provided, the business should owe the customer for "damages" because the customer has been harmed.
“Harmed”.. “Damages”.. You’re eating a meal… Lol

Or you could just man up, pay the bill.. and either hope for a better experience next time… or go somewhere else.

GP NOIR

Hooked
You fail your attempt to Disarm Trap. An eruption of purple gas with pink sparklies engulfs you and you now self identify as "DiscoOverlander". Gain +3 to your Charisma until your next post.

Ddays

Hooked
You fail your attempt to Disarm Trap. An eruption of purple gas with pink sparklies engulfs you and you now self identify as "DiscoOverlander". Gain +3 to your Charisma until your next post.

Lol you two fall & hit your heads or something this morning?

Frustration with shitty service is understandable, especially these days, but leaving without paying isn't right any way you cut it, purple sparkles & all.

Aceisback

Hooked
Great point! For fast food, In-N-Out sets the bar and is a place I actually wouldn’t mind tipping.
In my experience I would put Chik-Fil-A all alone at the top. But In N Out a very close second. I have NEVER gotten a meal at either one that was not hot. Five Guys serves good hot food also, but as far as service is concerned they’re nowhere near as busy as the other two.

People expecting a tip is gotten way out of control. They expect one for everything these days. My family and I have been in the customer service business for 70 years. Not once have we ever asked for a tip from anyone or let our employees ask. We get paid to do a job. I can’t stand when you go to a restaurant and pay cash and they ask you in you need change. I tip when we go out to a restaurant but on to go ordered I do not

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
It's funny because tipping is just a thing here in America. Most countries include "service fees" in the bill or sometimes, not at all.

Again, I'm all too happy to tip and well if it's deserved but to be "forced" to tip is just wrong to me.

GP NOIR

Hooked
Frustration with shitty service is understandable, especially these days, but leaving without paying isn't right any way you cut it, purple sparkles & all.
It was pink sparklies! (In case anyone is unsure of my odd sense of humor, this is mock petulance)

If a made to order Jeep accessory was the wrong color or a change you asked for was not incorporated and the maker refused to work with you about the problem and gave you attitude, would any of you feel obligated to pay for it? I'm not asking if you would pay for it anyway. I'm asking if you would feel obligated.

Top Bottom