Wrangler Hi-Lift Jack & Mounting

noroad

I've seen the cracked tire carriers but haven't came across a thread where it actually fell of in traffic? Got a link? Haven't came across any threads about failures on their hi lift mount neither? :hmm:

I have seen a D-rind come of and bounce through a cars front end, to think that you would even consider something that might kill someone is just stupid. I havent seen it happen but, it is only a matter off till it does, not everyone checks their rig over the way they should. so Ill ask you this would you let your kid or mom drive home behind that broken tire carrier with 100 something pounds on it?

rob_p

Not exactly easy access but my hi lift fits perfectly under the back seat of my JKU.

More secure and you save some $$

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
With all this talk about Hi-Lift jacks, I have to wonder how many of you have actually used one where it was absolutely essential in your recovery. I mean, I see guys using one to jack up their Jeep dangerously high in the sky just to change a tire all the time but, that's far from what I would consider to be essential or even safe.

noroad

With all this talk about Hi-Lift jacks, I have to wonder how many of you have actually used one where it was absolutely essential in your recovery. I mean, I see guys using one to jack up their Jeep dangerously high in the sky just to change a tire all the time but, that's far from what I would consider to be essential or even safe.

Agree, its scary high and if someone isnt there to just hold that thing for get it! Buy a bottle jack and throw it in the little space in the back, boom!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Agree, its scary high and if someone isnt there to just hold that thing for get it! Buy a bottle jack and throw it in the little space in the back, boom!

The sad truth is that I personally own 3 Hi-Lift Jacks but haven't carried one with me on the trail in years. Not saying that they aren't useful tools, I just rarely see them ever being used in a situation where one was absolutely essential or where a simple bottle jack couldn't have done the same job better and safer. It seems to me that most guys just want one for how it makes their Jeep look and really, there's nothing wrong with that.

RubiHB

I plan on getting stuck in some muddy crap hole at some point while solo wheeling. Remember all the mud JKX got to see in IN and MI? Bumper with winch is in the works for late next year, but this will do till then. I hate mud, but sometimes it is the trail.

Not saying that they aren't useful tools, I just rarely see them ever being used in a situation where one was absolutely essential or where a simple bottle jack couldn't have done the same job better and safer.

Eddie has something here. I will sell you mine that goes on the roll bar. You just pay the shipping. How's that.

noroad

The sad truth is that I personally own 3 Hi-Lift Jacks but haven't carried one with me on the trail in years. Not saying that they aren't useful tools, I just rarely see them ever being used in a situation where one was absolutely essential or where a simple bottle jack couldn't have done the same job better and safer. It seems to me that most guys just want one for how it makes their Jeep look and really, there's nothing wrong with that.

Right and thats totally fine if people want it for look hack its their jeep. I have used them in the past and they are helpful in some spots but like you said a quick step back and a bottle jack might be the better way. They just scare me a little, when in the woods it just you and your friends so you have to do what you have to do but being safe should always trump a fix.

big dr

Anyone on here ever use the air bag lifts? We use them in Glamis on sandrails,, but never seen one lifting a Jeep on a trail.

shortyokc

Hi lift jack uses? Does the last one look safe?

Attachments

• 1418689578890.jpg
    1418689578890.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 151
  • 1418689589623.jpg
    1418689589623.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 151
  • 1418689640071.jpg
    1418689640071.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 150
I have the ACE hood mounts for my jack. I love 'em.

http://www.northridge4x4.com/recovery/ace-hi-lift-jack-billet-hood-mount

image.jpg

I've never used my jack.

I've never used my winch. Except to test it after install.

I carry a .45 on my left hip and 2 extra magazines of 8 rounds ea every single day I leave my house.

All of these things look cool. All of them are useful. I hope I don't have to use them. But I have them in case I do.

Better to have and not need than to need and not have IMO.

TheNoob

Lot of damn money to spend on something that you yourself have seen break. Just because one hasn't broken completely off and hurt someone yet doesn't mean that it couldn't.
I had not came across the thread on this forum regarding the issue before I got and installed mine. I also didn't pay anything close to msrp for it, I got a pretty damn good deal on it. It was a fraction of the price of most bumper+tire carrier combos I was looking at. Checking the mount is also easy, just open the tail gate. If I spot a crack I'm sure they'll send me a replacement right away. Maybe when I get a raise and can throw more money at the jeep I'll replace it with a quality bumper/tire carrier. For now it serves me well...

I have seen a D-rind come of and bounce through a cars front end, to think that you would even consider something that might kill someone is just stupid. I havent seen it happen but, it is only a matter off till it does, not everyone checks their rig over the way they should. so Ill ask you this would you let your kid or mom drive home behind that broken tire carrier with 100 something pounds on it?

So there isn't a thread where someone's TF mount actually broke and the spare bounced away in traffic?

I'm pretty anal and particular about my vehicles, and now that I'm aware of the issue I check it often. Mine wont be breaking off in traffic:thumb:

I've seen tools and random crap fly off construction trucks and cause damage. Shit always happens on roads, that's why I always keep my distance and also aware of my surroundings.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I had not came across the thread on this forum regarding the issue before I got and installed mine.

Sucks to be you.

I also didn't pay anything close to msrp for it, I got a pretty damn good deal on it. It was a fraction of the price of most bumper+tire carrier combos I was looking at.

And yet, YOU still ended up PAYING for something you didn't need. Just sayin.

Checking the mount is also easy, just open the tail gate. If I spot a crack I'm sure they'll send me a replacement right away.

How lame is it that you PAID for something that was "supposed" to be better than stock and yet, you now have to keep an eye on it just in case it breaks. I'm sure it's just me but, the best warranties are the ones I never have to call on but hey, to each their own :yup:

Maybe when I get a raise and can throw more money at the jeep I'll replace it with a quality bumper/tire carrier. For now it serves me well...

And with any luck, it will keep serving you well. God forbid it would break, fall off and hurt someone - certainly, I don't think anyone would hope for that to happen to you.

I'm pretty anal and particular about my vehicles, and now that I'm aware of the issue I check it often. Mine wont be breaking off in traffic:thumb:

I for one am glad to hear it.

I've seen tools and random crap fly off construction trucks and cause damage. Shit always happens on roads, that's why I always keep my distance and also aware of my surroundings.

Tools randomly falling off of construction trucks and causing damage would be the fault of the guy driving the truck and not putting his tools away properly. Of course, if your tire carrier, the one you PAID for and is supposed to be better than stock breaks off and hurts someone or worse, TeraFlex will be sure to say it was YOUR fault as well. How do I know? Dennis at TeraFlex has said as much.

teraflex-breaks.jpg

Gotta love company that will BLAME their customers when their products fail.

I used one back in high school to recover an FJ40 that was stuck. We used tow two straps one connected to the a Toyota truck and the other to the FJ40 with the Hi Lift in the middle. Not sure that was the correct way but in high school we know everything. We were able to move the FJ40 a little. It was not until the Jeep CJ7 showed up with a winch did we get the FJ40 out.

MarkW13

The pictures of high lift jack use for auto extrication are an important consideration on the trail. Yeah, i use mine to raise the jeep to a likely unsafe level for re-seating a bead or changing a tire, but i've used them for many other things as well.

My buddy broke a shackle bolt on a cj and we used the jack to pull everything together and get the bolt in. I've trained using them for auto x just in case hydraulic tools aren't available. I also used it to reposition a fender after it found a rock.

The reality is, they dont use hydraulic fluid, electricity, or gas and sometimes thats exactly what you need. I feel the same way about my 8 lb sledge with a short handle.

CerOf

I've been high centered on a stump,with no winch. Due to position, trees, etc, couldn't be pulled forwards or backwards without sustaining pretty good damage. Used my hilift to jack my rig up, pushed back end over (purposely fell off Jack) and was clear to continue on my way.

Brotherinlaws F350 was buried to the frame and no place to get bottle/scissor/floor Jack under it to lift. Used hilift at the driver front corner (aftermarket bumper) to get frame off the ground. Was able to get it high enough to dig out/around the tire to put a railroad tie underneath. Was then able to strap him the rest of the way out. Didn't have a winch then and ~5,000lbs rig pulling his 7,000lbs+ crew cab, long bed, 35" tire F350 resting on the frame in mud/soft ground, wasn't happening with out digging, etc.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Never said that a Hi-Lift wasn't a useful tool - just that most of the time, it's used to jack up their Jeep dangerously high just to change a tire. In over 20 years, I have "rarely" seen where one was "absolutely essential" in a recovery. Not saying that it "never" happens, just not very often and far from enough times to warrant everyone feeling the need to carry one. Of course, I just play at the mall so, what would I know.

MarkW13

Never said that a Hi-Lift wasn't a useful tool - just that most of the time, it's used to jack up their Jeep dangerously high just to change a tire. In over 20 years, I have "rarely" seen where one was "absolutely essential" in a recovery. Not saying that it "never" happens, just not very often and far from enough times to warrant everyone feeling the need to carry one. Of course, I just play at the mall so, what would I know.

Ha, I bet you don't even take moby to the mall.

I hear what you're saying about the high lift. I usually use it because thats what i have. I did add some bottle jacks to my compliment recently. You never know. The high lift may be retired now.

Top Bottom