WRITE-UP : DIY License Plate Rear Cross Member Relocation Mount

stoneman

Guess you had to do something as the stock bumper would end up doing even more damage as you wheel but i am just not a fan of nothing on the back. I know EVO makes the fascia cover and it looks ok but i like the looks of this ACE Hammertown fascia better and comes with recovery frame brackets. http://www.aceengineeringandfab.com/ACE-JK-Hammertown-Rear-Armor_p_229.html
Your JL looks awsome though and man i love those beadlocks!!!!!!
To be honest i have not really found any rear bumper for my jk yet that i do like, seems they are all similar with the exception of this one seen here on amazon https://www.amazon.com/Topfire-Alum...&sr=8-4-fkmr1&keywords=im+from+topfire+bumper i really dig the design but it isn't perfect for me either unless they would make it with the frame horn inserts with d ring connectors that would slip into the rear frame horns like the ACE Hammertown and then it would be my perfect style rear bumper.

Cheers on the awsome looking JL and happy wheeling

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Guess you had to do something as the stock bumper would end up doing even more damage as you wheel but i am just not a fan of nothing on the back. I know EVO makes the fascia cover and it looks ok but i like the looks of this ACE Hammertown fascia better and comes with recovery frame brackets. http://www.aceengineeringandfab.com/ACE-JK-Hammertown-Rear-Armor_p_229.html
To be honest i have not really found any rear bumper for my jk yet that i do like, seems they are all similar with the exception of this one seen here on amazon https://www.amazon.com/Topfire-Alum...&sr=8-4-fkmr1&keywords=im+from+topfire+bumper i really dig the design but it isn't perfect for me either unless they would make it with the frame horn inserts with d ring connectors that would slip into the rear frame horns like the ACE Hammertown and then it would be my perfect style rear bumper.

You don’t like the exposed crossmember but you like the ace fascia that looks like an exposed crossmember. That makes no sense. We get you are an ace fanboy, you made that really clear but that has absolutely nothing to do with this thread. Move along.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

stoneman

You don’t like the exposed crossmember but you like the ace fascia that looks like an exposed crossmember. That makes no sense. We get you are an ace fanboy, you made that really clear but that has absolutely nothing to do with this thread. Move along.

Man you really showed how much of a jerk you are!
Nothing to do with a fan boy of any after market products and it looks nothing like bare unexposed frame horns and i will move on when im good and ready.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Man you really showed how much of a jerk you are!
Nothing to do with a fan boy of any after market products and it looks nothing like bare unexposed frame horns and i will move on when im good and ready.

Not a single person mentioned ace in here. You felt the need to come save us all and tell us about ace.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I’m regretting less and less not getting the steel bumper package nor the LED upgrades.

You did good by NOT getting the steel bumpers. The LED group... I dunno, I'm really liking them.

I would say considerable improvement in the stock JL lights. I haven’t seen the new JL LEDs headlights, but at $800, that’s steep. I may consider aftermarket if/when something more affordable is out there. Of course, there is always a bulb swap, which is cheap.

Just pop in new bulbs already! I guarantee you you'll like them WAY BETTER than what you have now :yup:

Actually, we wanted to do this regardless of the bumper doing damage and we were kicking ourselves for NOT removing it ahead of Moab. We just really love this look but clearly, to each their own. Me personally, I think fascias look gay regardless of who makes them. I mean, they're 100% cosmetic and completely useless. As far as that Chinese Topfire shit goes, I saw it in person at SEMA last year and they made my #1 UGLY list.

https://wayalife.com/showthread.php...D-and-the-UGLY?p=971107&viewfull=1#post971107

But hey, that's just me. :cool:

longarmwj

The Evo one is a hundred times cleaner then the ACE one though? :thinking:

JAGS

Hooked
You did good by NOT getting the steel bumpers. The LED group... I dunno, I'm really liking them.

I knew I’d want something from aftermarket on the bumpers so that was the main reason. But it sucks the issues you had as the factory steel option should be better for the price.

I’m hoping my frugalness will allow me to upgrade cheaper on the LED. Personal preference, but I don’t like the rear stock LED housing. And the LED stock fogs don’t seem to swap in all bumpers.

Just pop in new bulbs already! I guarantee you you'll like them WAY BETTER than what you have now :yup:

No kidding! Been so damn busy haven’t even had time to do a swap. I need to look up the bulb numbers and just order them.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Let There be Light on the License Plate
ADDENDUM 04/26/18

Ever since I removed our Jeep JL Wrangler's factory rear bumper and relocated the license plate on to the cross member, I've been meaning to install a light for it. Being that the factory license plate location was in the bumper and the wiring for the light was already there, I figured it would be a piece of cake to do and it was. Recycling the wiring on the factory bumper, I simply cut off the plug for the light, soldered on a couple of license plate LED light bolts and just like that, my licenses plate is now illuminated at night again.

For those of you who are interested, these are what I got for lights:
Rupse 2pcs License Plate Screw Bolts

And, here's what they look like installed.
20180425204658-7f8d8b3f-me.jpg

20180425204654-1631b23e-me.jpg

Finally, what they look like when on.
20180425204646-2d85add9-me.jpg

20180425204630-f456af3f-me.jpg

20180425204634-293e58e3-me.jpg

20180425204642-14832855-me.jpg

A few pics outside at night.
20180425204702-8f22edb0-me.jpg

And yes, they put out a crazy amount of light for being so tiny!
20180425204726-eb33a0f6-me.jpg

20180425204712-d2e52a68-me.jpg

20180425204718-2ae52f2b-me.jpg

:cool:

TrailHunter

Hooked
Those screw Led’s are slick! Never seen those before. Would be really awesome if they offered a brake light at the end of it for spare tire applications. Cool fix [emoji1417]

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Well Son of A B@$#!!! Lol... I never would of bought the ORO setup if I saw those... Just when you think you’re done with something... Haha.. thanks for the link. [emoji1363]

LOL!! Having run an ORO in the past, I can tell you these are nicer. I would have run them on my JL but thought it would look weird to have 3rd brake lights on my cross member :crazyeyes:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I installed these on mine and they lasted about 2 weeks. Obviously they’re not all like that, so I hope you have better luck.

It's all about quality control and honestly, it wouldn't surprise me in the least if these things only last a couple of weeks.

Top Bottom