Yet Another Death Wabble Fix Question

jonnyb19

well you already ordered items that you don't need so I'm kind of at a loss as to why ask?

Is it the stock track bar or is it adjustable? is there a track bar bracket? if there is a track bar bracket did you check to make sure it's tight? Have you checked caster?

what I would do is loosen the steering stabilizer, loosen the control arm bolts and the track bar bolts while the Jeep is on the ground then give the front end a good jounce (shaking) to get everything settled.

Tighten everything back to specs, check your caster angle, if it is far off you would have been better off with adjustable upper control arms instead of the AEV, if your caster is fine you just wasted money.

I have the synergy track bar and can tell you it will get noisy and depending on your axle side mount, mine required more torque that specified to keep it from moving.

Steering stabilizer you didn't need.

if there's a clunk in the drag link, chances are the adjuster is not in the proper alignment with the pinch bolts so it's not holding like it should.

post up some pics

There is no track bar bracket, it appears to be a pro comp adjustable front track bar. Like I said above, it flexes a lot just when someone turns the wheel. Also, I ha e removed it completely to inspect the holes, so it should be bound up. I will have to get an angle finder and check the caster, but from my understanding, if you lift it 4 inches with out some form of adjustable arm or drop bracket, it is gonna be off. I did align the adjustment sleeve already, but I'll check it again. The drag link does have some up and down play in the joints when some one turns the wheel.

jonnyb19

Then maybe go to that site and ask him? Sounds like you don't need any advice from us because you have already found the expert.:beer:

Even close to what I said. All I said was I WR he's his video, that was it. Didn't say it was the bible for solving the problem. I have read the thread here as well. I was just asking advice and u are the o e how criticized everything I brought up. I clearly am looking for any and all advice. I will listen to any suggestions you have, but to say I have discarded any suggestions is false.

jeeeep

Hooked
There is no track bar bracket, it appears to be a pro comp adjustable front track bar. Like I said above, it flexes a lot just when someone turns the wheel. Also, I ha e removed it completely to inspect the holes, so it should be bound up. I will have to get an angle finder and check the caster, but from my understanding, if you lift it 4 inches with out some form of adjustable arm or drop bracket, it is gonna be off. I did align the adjustment sleeve already, but I'll check it again. The drag link does have some up and down play in the joints when some one turns the wheel.

if you are getting up and down movement, I'd double check the track bar and clamp on it hard to keep it from moving. I had similar up and down movement and it was my track bar, it was torqued to spec but I ended up tightening it more until it clamped and that solved the up and down play.

are the track bar bushings shot?

Last edited:

Jeepers46

Have you checked the ball joints? The original post mentioned only 9k miles but stock JK ball joints are basically junk and can fail early, especially running oversized tires.

jonnyb19

Then maybe go to that site and ask him? Sounds like you don't need any advice from us because you have already found the expert.:beer:

Not even close to what I said. All I said was that I watched his his video, that was it. Didn't say it was the bible for solving the problem. I have read the thread here as well. I was just asking advice and u are the one who criticized everything I brought up. I clearly am looking for any and all advice. I will listen to any suggestions you have, but to say I have discarded any suggestions or advice from anyone Is false.

Red Knight15

Caught the Bug
My death wobble on my 08 was worn ball joints. That being said it did 93k miles on it. Just something else to look at.

Lance628

Your up 4 inches and have nothing to correct caster I would say that's a big issue

WJCO

Meme King
I'd say right now your best option is to replace the draglink and tie rod. Then do what is necessary to get the caster back in spec, this will probably require buying arms. I would contact ProComp and tell them what happened, you may need to get the bracket to get your track bar at a better angle. That would be what i would do to start with. Or you could just scrap this whole 4 inch kit and buy another that has all the parts with it. And don't forget your new drive shaft if you don't already have one.

jonnyb19

if you are getting up and down movement, I'd double check the track bar and clamp on it hard to keep it from moving. I had similar up and down movement and it was my track bar, it was torqued to spec but I ended up tightening it more until it clamped and that solved the up and down play.

are the track bar bushings shot?

It is flexing in the middle, it doesn't appear to be moving in the mounts. I will crank on it some more and see what happens though.

WJCO

Meme King
It is flexing in the middle, it doesn't appear to be moving in the mounts. I will crank on it some more and see what happens though.

Shouldn't be flexing in the middle. If it is indeed adjustable, make sure the jam nut is tight.

jonnyb19

Have you checked the ball joints? The original post mentioned only 9k miles but stock JK ball joints are basically junk and can fail early, especially running oversized tires.

I have checked them by eye and the seem fine, I will do it again though.

Boat Guy

Death Wobble

We recently had a DW beginning at 40mph on our 2014 JKU. Long story but 35" Mickey Thompson tires take a lot of lead. (ATX 9 1/2" rims) Spun the RF tire on the rim with 13lbs of air. All it took was a re-balance and problem solved. We took the easy way out and replaced the RF with the spare and the diagnosis was immediate. Simple and cost $14 to resolve (rebalance).

Scrambler

Not even close to what I said. All I said was that I watched his his video, that was it. Didn't say it was the bible for solving the problem. I have read the thread here as well. I was just asking advice and u are the one who criticized everything I brought up. I clearly am looking for any and all advice. I will listen to any suggestions you have, but to say I have discarded any suggestions or advice from anyone Is false.

I don't remember criticizing anything you said, nor saying you discarded any advice you have been given. You brought up a person, whom you obviously think highly of on the issue of death wobble, and I simply suggested that maybe you should ask him personally.

jonnyb19

Here are some pictures, working on uploading some videos. There is a picture of the front end, drag link adjustment sleeve and the ball joints. I know the ball joints picture doesn't prove anything, but figured I'd throw them in there. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1447436103.101866.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1447436124.577627.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1447436148.089759.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1447436162.663445.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1447436194.882255.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1447436214.106932.jpg

jonnyb19

I don't remember criticizing anything you said, nor saying you discarded any advice you have been given. You brought up a person, whom you obviously think highly of on the issue of death wobble, and I simply suggested that maybe you should ask him personally.
Well I'm sorry if I misunderstood. This is very frustrating and there is no one to take this jeep to to get help. I have to do it all by the Internet. Haven't made the first payment and it's already sitting in the street not doing shit. I'm sorta stressed.

Jeepers46

I have checked them by eye and the seem fine, I will do it again though.

I got my 08 with 30k on it. I went through the front suspension checking torque in the bolts and decided to try the pry bar under the tire test. Both lowers were completely shot, actually made a popping noise as I lifted on the tire.

Top Bottom