scull20's Build of "Equinso Ocha" (aka White Devil)

scull20

An aftermarket 1350 would have been ideal...but funds are tight after the lift and tires, so I haggled the junkyard down to $150. It was more than a free take-off but better than $1100 from the dealer.

Vibrations much better at highway speeds from the rear. Feeling something from the front past 80 mph, but might just be the tires as this point. I usually keep it around 70 on the highway as it is.

Here's the old shaft.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1463440070.237019.jpg

Last edited:

scull20

Not much in terms of updates lately. However, I ordered the new Tuffy Security Deck from Quadratec last month (bday gift from my fiancé, she's the best!)...and it was delivered today by the time I got home from work today.

I really debated on whether or not to order the old design considering there was still some left in stock online...but ended up going with this one.

There are zero exposed hardware ends that can be loosed (easily). There are flush/rounded carriage style bolt heads that are exposed that connect the side panels to the front panel (two of which are nearly impossible to get at by hand). There are large plastic knobs with threaded inserts to connect everything together that face inwards. The top has hardware built in that slides into slots and "locks" down to the sides. The rear gate keeps this from moving.

Lining up the holes and putting the hardware in to connect the sides and back was a chore...fitting these with removable plastic knobs is a joke because there's no way it's easily removable and replaceable. A second set of hands was almost a must, unless you're sporting an extra arm and hand.

I would've liked to see two struts included to lift it up the lid and perimeter walls/tie downs on the lid. Though, Tuffy makes it clear that anything stored on to must be secured to the jeep itself...because the top is not totally fastened down (it slides into slots and "locks" in place when the rear gate is closed, otherwise you can take it off in 2 seconds with a quick push/pull).

I also would have liked to see the back run parallel with the back of the back seats, rather than straight up and down. You definitely lose a few inches of storage space.

Beyond that, I'm not sure if want to put my dog in the back anymore once the top is removed. Most of the exposed edges do have a plastic molding on them, but I'm still leery he may end up hurting himself if he's moving around back there. Not to mention that at 105 lbs, he may be a bit more cramped than before with the loss of space at the back seats. The only thing I can think of is slipping a pool noodle with a slit in it over the edges if he's back there.

In the end...the back is definitely more secure (and smaller) than without it. I'll also feel more comfortable running topless/doorless being able to toss loose stuff back there from the store or papers for work, etc. without them blowing away. I think I'd have less gripes if it was $100 cheaper (yes I know it didn't buy it)...but I digress lol.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1465428365.659759.jpg

scull20

Had the doors and top stripped down to capitalize on the beautiful weather. Chance of rain tomorrow and I didn't feel like dragging the doors back out and putting the top up, so I moved stuff around in the garage and rolled the dice...cleared the top of the door by a hair! ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1465603793.318081.jpg

Napalm

Had the doors and top stripped down to capitalize on the beautiful weather. Chance of rain tomorrow and I didn't feel like dragging the doors back out and putting the top up, so I moved stuff around in the garage and rolled the dice...cleared the top of the door by a hair! View attachment 207665

Always nice to be able to utilize a garage in rainy situations.. Looking great!!!

scull20

Also...I noticed an intermittent squeal/squeak under load today. Not sure from where it's coming from. Seems to happen between 25-35 mph-ish. I'm going to pull the front DS on Sunday and see if I can still hear it.

scull20

Never pulled the driveshaft...but I jacked up the front and both the drivers side and pass side wheels seem solid...no play from unit bearing, ball joints or axle shaft u joints.

Thinking the squeal may be from a bad pulley somewhere. All I know is that it's driving me up the effing wall

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Never pulled the driveshaft...but I jacked up the front and both the drivers side and pass side wheels seem solid...no play from unit bearing, ball joints or axle shaft u joints.

Thinking the squeal may be from a bad pulley somewhere. All I know is that it's driving me up the effing wall

Maybe it's one of the repzza (idk how the fuck you spell it) joints on the DS. I would try pulling one at a time and driving to see if it goes away

scull20

Maybe it's one of the repzza (idk how the fuck you spell it) joints on the DS. I would try pulling one at a time and driving to see if it goes away

How would I pull the rear and check?...put it 4Hi and go around the block? Any negative repercussions from this? My front is an a u-joint style from Trail Jeeps, easy enough to pull and check, I've just been lazy.

scull20

Been nice to drive around doorless for the past week. Only got caught in the rain once. Hoping the weather will hold out and I'll be able to head to the shore next weekend like this.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1466291827.557423.jpg

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
How would I pull the rear and check?...put it 4Hi and go around the block? Any negative repercussions from this? My front is an a u-joint style from Trail Jeeps, easy enough to pull and check, I've just been lazy.

Yup just pull the shaft and put it in 4hi. No negative effects from it. Just take it easy in turns.

scull20

I also ordered a safari straps cargo net...not anything standard for the jeep that they make, just a 23.5x46, 1" cargo net. Then got some tie downs rings from the parts counter at my local dealership and bolted them down to where the hard top normally would be.

The intent here would be to reclaim some cargo space on top of the Tuffy deck. Without any extra clips, the net fits just about perfect when looped through the rings and cinched tight with nothing under it.

The last photo is an empty 14 gal gas can that we use to fill the boat up. I don't ever intend to put the can up there when full (don't trust it from going wild while driving)...but if it's empty I can at least make a trip to the boat with it up there, drop off my crap and then run out and fill it up after I empty out the "trunk" area below. I also don't trust the tie down locations 100%. I may look into a nutsert solution going directly into the tub.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1468613450.522904.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1468613467.214123.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1468613487.107757.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1468613502.498435.jpg

Last edited:

scull20

After several too many close calls with the rain, I decided to order a "rain-cover" for when I have the jeep stripped down. After reading some mixed reviews on the Bestop cover, I did some more searching and ordered a Rain Gear cover from jeepcovers.com. I ordered the top that is supposed to fit with the tops off totally as well as with a soft top folded down. I was concerned that the cover wouldn't work with the premium twill top folded down because it doesn't quite go AS flat as the standard vinyl top. I made a quick call to the jeep covers number to see what they thought about this issue, and was told that I should be ok even with the twill top.

The cover was delivered yesterday (sorry no pictures at the moment). The material is a very thick, "rubberized" style canvas that is very similar to a quality boat cover. I have no doubt that the cover can take a beating both from the sun, wind, rain, etc. The tie down cinch straps were great quality as well.

Unfortunately, the cover just did not fit well in the back over the folded down twill soft top (as I suspected). I couldn't get it to fit snug/flush against the body in the back, despite trying to adjust things multiple times. That being said, I will be calling to exchange the cover for the one that works with the top up. I never leave home without at least having the soft top folded down in the back...so I figure I'll just put the top up, then throw the cover over the top of it to cover up the door and rear window openings from the elements. The frame of the soft top itself should jeep water from pooling as well.

...more on this in a week or so when the new cover comes in.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I don't think you could have gone wrong with either one. I have the best top one and it has worked great for me, especially recently in a few of the sever storms that has rolled thru. I will text you some video lol

scull20

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1469661197.113781.jpg

Murphy needed a buddy, and Nicole and I wanted a new puppy, so we're picking up this little guy on Sunday! He's an 8 week old Red/White Pembroke Welsh Corgi.

...and he needs a name!

scull20

...and I bought this baby today. Daily beater for driving to job sites. After adding it to my insurance policy, with the jeep...my yearly premium dropped $100 lol.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1469661687.842126.jpg

Top Bottom