DIY Spod- Waytekwire

pvanweelden

That's only 2 relays, so only 2 circuits. if that's all you need, go for it.
But you could buy the parts for a lot less than that.
Relays are $5, sockets $5, terminal strip $8= $28

ljvsnyder

figured it would still be cheaper to make, but I don't have a lot of time to make things. Can I do it yes, but if I can save myself a little time why not. The most circuits I will need is 5.

lostwolf

You can follow the rest of my writeup, but you will need to run one more wire to your switches for illumination. The illumination source wire is a small 20 gauge wire behind the power window switches in the dash. it is Orange/gray stripe.
Pin 6 connects to that illumination wire. Pin 7 and Pin 8 are tied together to ground. Pin 2 is the 12volt input from Fuse 6 in Relay Panel. Pin 3 is the switch output/relay input.

View attachment 72951

Will this work on 2012 and newer with the Can-Bus system?? Or do we need to run off the power outlet?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using WAYALIFE mobile app

Sharkey

Word Ninja
You can follow the rest of my writeup, but you will need to run one more wire to your switches for illumination. The illumination source wire is a small 20 gauge wire behind the power window switches in the dash. it is Orange/gray stripe.
Pin 6 connects to that illumination wire. Pin 7 and Pin 8 are tied together to ground. Pin 2 is the 12volt input from Fuse 6 in Relay Panel. Pin 3 is the switch output/relay input.

View attachment 72951

Will this work on 2012 and newer with the Can-Bus system?? Or do we need to run off the power outlet?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using WAYALIFE mobile app

Pre-2012's have a canbus too. But, to answer your question, you can tap the 12 volt outlet for switch power in a 2012+.

There's some great work and ideas in this thread :D I starting building mine before I even found this thread... would have saved me some R&D time. I had to hunt down all the parts myself. lol :crazyeyes:

pvanweelden

Thanks darkknight, I saw the Cooper Bussman relay panel in your build thread :thumbup:

Sent from my SM-N900V using WAYALIFE mobile app

UtahJohn

6 Speed manual switch panel install?

:clap2:This is a great thread. Thanks to everyone for contributing. I ordered the components today and look forward to assembly and installation once my Jeep and I are reunited.

Question: My Jeep is a 6 speed. I read the entire thread and searched for the optimum position to install the switches. I have a 2013. Overhead looks good. Under window controls is out. And in the console just does not appeal to me.

I see some pillar mounts. Also looks good. When I search and spec my Jeep it states that it will not fit. Who can direct me to one that works?

Any and all suggestions are welcome.

Last edited:

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
:clap2:This is a great thread. Thanks to everyone for contributing. I ordered there components today and look forward to assembly and installation once my Jeep and I are reunited.

Question: My Jeep is a 6 speed. I read the entire thread and searched for the optimum position to install the switches. I have a 2013. Overhead looks good. Under window controls is out. And in the console just does not appeal to me.

I see some pillar mounts. Also looks good. When I search and spec my Jeep it states that it will not fit. Who can direct me to one that works?

Any and all suggestions are welcome.

A pillar mounts from an '11 and up will fit. The center console switch mount will not fit because you have a 6 speed.

pvanweelden

the downside is the A Pillar daystars only have 4 switch locations- I have heard you can cut a spot for the 5th, but have not seen a pic or proof of that.
You could do the overhead, or below the steering wheel like Noroad did (pics in this thread)

Schweaty

Can anyone help with the removal of terminals? I screwed up again and put the 5th fuse wire in the 6th hole. Need to remove it but I broke the tool that was recommended. Not quite sure how to go about removing the terminals from the bussman.

pvanweelden

Send me a pic of how you currently have it

Just to clarify for anyone else- the numbers on the cooper busman panel are only there for identification purposes- fuse 5 does not have to go to relay 5, etc.

For each circuit you will need a fuse to provide power to the relay. that is done through the first step I showed with the red "jumper" wires.
I used fuse 1-5 for the 5 relays, but you could use 6-10 if you wanted to. doesn't matter what number fuse goes to what number relay, as long as each relay gets a power wire from one of the fuses.

Last edited:

noroad

Hey question for ya, so i shorted out my spod fixing my rock lights. Blow fuse number two replace that an circuit breaker but still no lights not even other lights in the spod work now any ideas

pvanweelden

Do you have a fuse or circuit breaker at the battery? Sounds like you have no power coming in- do any of your switches light up when turned on?

noroad

Do you have a fuse or circuit breaker at the battery? Sounds like you have no power coming in- do any of your switches light up when turned on?

No switches light up nothing. I just changed the circuit breaker off the batter still nothing!

No switches light up nothing. I just changed the circuit breaker off the batter still nothing!

Do you want me to come by and give you a hand? I have a testing equipment that might be able to help. I owned my own car shop a while back... I know my way around electrical circuits.

Sent from my NSA monitoring device... Using the WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom