2.5 or 3 inch teraflex lift?

Aedawsey

I have had 3 different suspensions on my jk in the last year and the teraflex lift was by far the worst riding one I had.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Why was it so bad? Was the stiffness just unbearable? I don't get how the lift can be subjective if so many of you guys say you dislike it. Lol

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
Why was it so bad? Was the stiffness just unbearable? I don't get how the lift can be subjective if so many of you guys say you dislike it. Lol

Some people like a firm mattress and some like a soft one. Just depends on your preferences.

JKWrang

Think about it this way: 20 years ago Dodge trucks were notorious for riding stiff and feeling like you were banging around endlessly in the cab because of the suspension's stiffness. Now trucks and jeeps have all gotten such a smooth ride compared to their predecessors the argument that a car handles so much more smoothly is invalid today.

So with everyone demanding a more comfortable ride, a stiffer-than-stock spring rate would feel awful to most who are looking for a perceived upgrade (and if youre spending a grand or so you definitely want to feel your $$$ gave you all the improvments you are looking for!)

Like I said, I like it... but the ride IS rigid on occasion. Thats the subjective part. Mechanically the 2.5" budget coil lift is not inferior, the springs dont sag like lower prced competitiors but they are unforgiving, especially in a 2 door with the short wheel base and lower weight.

You really should find someone who has this lift nearby to test it out. Thats what I did. I rode an AEV and a Teraflex and I picked what I liked best.
Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
http://m.quadratec.com/products/product.php?pid=16502+4414+07

Is this a better choice guys than the teraflex coils? I like that is has the bilistien shocks already with the kit.

Between the TeraFlex kit and this, yeah, I'd say it's a "better" choice but the coils will still be on the firm side. If you don't need it in a hurry, I would recommend that you wait till the next Rancho rebate is released as you can get this kit and save a ton of money:

http://www.quadratec.com/products/16031_450X_PG.htm

Aedawsey

Between the TeraFlex kit and this, yeah, I'd say it's a "better" choice but the coils will still be on the firm side. If you don't need it in a hurry, I would recommend that you wait till the next Rancho rebate is released as you can get this kit and save a ton of money:

http://www.quadratec.com/products/16031_450X_PG.htm

This forum is awesome! You better believe I'm going to get this decal on my wrangler. Anyway.
You think that rancho lift has everything I need? Are the coils better than aev and teraflex stiffness wise? Also when does that rebate come out? Lol
Sorry I'm full of questions

Gun

Considering you have 2WD and will not be off-roading much, I really believe you should get a 2.5" or 3" coil spacer kit. You will keep you current jk coils and if you do shock extensions instead of new shocks you will keep your current shocks too. Your ride will be about as close to stock (minus bump steer and flighty caster). You will save money and you can get the exact lift height you want.

Aedawsey

Considering you have 2WD and will not be off-roading much, I really believe you should get a 2.5" or 3" coil spacer kit. You will keep you current jk coils and if you do shock extensions instead of new shocks you will keep your current shocks too. Your ride will be about as close to stock (minus bump steer and flighty caster). You will save money and you can get the exact lift height you want.

Will the coil spacer kit sag if I put and aftermarket bumper on? And does that spacer kit need any extra parts or will it ride smooth the way it is?

olram30

Will the coil spacer kit sag if I put and aftermarket bumper on? And does that spacer kit need any extra parts or will it ride smooth the way it is?

What springs are on now? There should be a little tag on them. Sag is such a weird term. But any spring will compress with added weight.

JKWrang

Sagging coils does not refer to weight-related conpression. It refers to the coil's tendency to be reduced permanently in height, spring tension, etc because the coil strength was not sufficient for the application.

Rough country is stated to have this problem frequently

Last edited:

olram30

Sagging coils does not refer to weight-related conpression. It refers to the coil's tendency to be reduced in height, spring tension, etc because the coil strength was not sufficient for the application.

I should have been more specific, a poor quality coil such as rc or teraflex have been known to sag. Last I heard teraflex quit replacing coils and just send out a spacer. But people confuse the term sag and compress with quality coils such as evo plush or even oem coils. Any coil will compress with weight.
Also adding a spacer to a set of 19/60 coils is going to be different than adding them to 17/56 coil set.

JKWrang

I should have been more specific, a poor quality coil such as rc or teraflex have been known to sag. Last I heard teraflex quit replacing coils and just send out a spacer. But people confuse the term sag and compress with quality coils such as evo plush or even oem coils. Any coil will compress with weight.
Also adding a spacer to a set of 19/60 coils is going to be different than adding them to 17/56 coil set.

Thats probably WHY TF offers pucks and not replacements: people add a front bumper and then their tires rub and they call TF with their panties in a bunch not making the connection. Hahaha

I figure if my coils sag ill just be persuaded to go to plush rides instead lol

Aedawsey

Sagging coils does not refer to weight-related conpression. It refers to the coil's tendency to be reduced permanently in height, spring tension, etc because the coil strength was not sufficient for the application.

Do you think the ride improved a lot with the bilstien shocks?

Aedawsey

19/60 coils? 17/56 coils?

olram30

19/60 coils? 17/56 coils?

Jeeps have different coil ratings. Most sports and saharas have a lower number. Rubicons usually have a higher number. You'll still get 2" with a spacer regardless if coil number. Lower number, softer coil, higher number stiffer coil.

Aedawsey

Jeeps have different coil ratings. Most sports and saharas have a lower number. Rubicons usually have a higher number. You'll still get 2" with a spacer regardless if coil number. Lower number, softer coil, higher number stiffer coil.

You have all that gear on your jeep and you didn't lift it?

Top Bottom