2.5 or 3 inch teraflex lift?

Aedawsey

I have been back and forth about these two lifts for too long now. Does anyone run either of these lifts and if so did you encounter any problems, like replacing the front driveshaft? Need some help, I want the taller look and I know I won't get it with the 2.5 inch lift.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I have been back and forth about these two lifts for too long now. Does anyone run either of these lifts and if so did you encounter any problems, like replacing the front driveshaft? Need some help, I want the taller look and I know I won't get it with the 2.5 inch lift.

what size tires are you looking to run? do you want a coil lift or have you looked at the BB?

i run the 2.5" coil lift with bilstein shocks. all i have to say is that the ride is stiff and i would steer away from it. that being said ride is 100% subjective.

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
Which kits exactly are you looking at? 2.5 budget boost or the 3" coil spring lift?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

What you need to know is that the TF 2.5" coil lift will yield over 3" of lift and the 3" lift over 4" and really, all the things you'd really want with that much lift should be taken into consideration such as drive shafts. If you have a 2007-11 with an auto, you will need a new front shaft. If you have a 2-door, you will need a new rear drive shaft and adjustable upper control arms to set your pinion angle sooner than later. if you have a 2012-up, you will need a new front shaft. Also, at that height, your steering geometry will be off enough that you'll want to install something like an EVO drag link flip/front track bar relocation bracket to correct it.

If you do not want to address your drive shafts, I would stick with the 2.5" coil spacer lift and run it with their shock extensions. This will give you exactly 2.5" of lift and will help prevent your drive shaft from having the problems typically associated with more lift and greater droop.

If you're dead set on running taller coils, as mentioned, TeraFlex makes some of the stiffest riding coils I have ever run. But, ride quality is 100% subjective.

Aedawsey

I was considering the 2.5 inch teraflex lift with shocks because I heard that was the best bang for you buck but if those coils ride stiff than which lift or combo would you suggest around that area. http://www.quadratec.com/products/16190_2500_07.htm
This is the 2.5

Should I steer away from teraflex because I want a smooth ride due to the fact that 99% of my driving will be pavement due to the fact that my jk doesn't have 4 wheel drive. Sucks.... I know... 😤
Thanks for the feedback everyone, I want to pull the trigger soon just want to make sure I'm spending my money right. I want to run 33s or 35s down the road just for the look.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I was considering the 2.5 inch teraflex lift with shocks because I heard that was the best bang for you buck but if those coils ride stiff than which lift or combo would you suggest around that area. http://www.quadratec.com/products/16190_2500_07.htm
This is the 2.5

Should I steer away from teraflex because I want a smooth ride due to the fact that 99% of my driving will be pavement due to the fact that my jk doesn't have 4 wheel drive. Sucks.... I know... 
Thanks for the feedback everyone, I want to pull the trigger soon just want to make sure I'm spending my money right. I want to run 33s or 35s down the road just for the look.

if you just want it for looks then i would look at the 2.5" budget boost they have with shock extensions. its A LOT cheaper, you keep your factory ride quality, and you get the look you want.
http://www.quadratec.com/products/16190_0005_07.htm

Jackal01

This is the 2.5

Should I steer away from teraflex because I want a smooth ride due to the fact that 99% of my driving will be pavement due to the fact that my jk doesn't have 4 wheel drive. Sucks.... I know... 

Many here like the Enforcer lift for the plush ride coils. I have not ridden in a rig with that lift but based off the reviews and comments I think it is probably a very nice ride. The lift also comes with everything you need, minus drive shafts and other components if needed. But there is also a big price difference in the lifts. You can buy the coils separately from ORE. 2.5"-3" lift on 35s is a good, solid setup. Do it right the first time even if it is outside your budget. If it means saving more and it taking longer you will ultimately be happier. I could do my phase two in a few months if I went with a cheaper lift but I want the Enforcer so I am saving for a year to get everything (plus other things ie: armor) I need to do it right and the way I want it.

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
Evo coils are worth it for sure, I had the tf lift and got tired of the stiff ride so I swapped the coils out and couldn't be happier. If I was to do it again I just would have gotten the enforcer the first time around and spend a little more than upgrading almost everything from the tf 2.5" lift.

Aedawsey

if you just want it for looks then i would look at the 2.5" budget boost they have with shock extensions. its A LOT cheaper, you keep your factory ride quality, and you get the look you want.
http://www.quadratec.com/products/16190_0005_07.htm

Why does everyone steer away from those body lifts though? I feel like using those to lift my vehicle wouldn't be as good as coils.

My other concern is the lost in height those longer coils provide, like Wayalife said a 2.5 actually gives you about a 3 to 3.5, that is if I don't add extra weight to it.

Aedawsey

Evo coils are worth it for sure, I had the tf lift and got tired of the stiff ride so I swapped the coils out and couldn't be happier. If I was to do it again I just would have gotten the enforcer the first time around and spend a little more than upgrading almost everything from the tf 2.5" lift.

How long did you run the tf lift? And how much actual height did you get from the two and what's the price difference?
Also one more question, did you have to replace anymore parts after you installed the new EVO coils like the front driveshaft?

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Why does everyone steer away from those body lifts though? I feel like using those to lift my vehicle wouldn't be as good as coils.

My other concern is the lost in height those longer coils provide, like Wayalife said a 2.5 actually gives you about a 3 to 3.5, that is if I don't add extra weight to it.

this isnt a body lift, this is a coil spacer lift. you retain your factory coils but add this spacer to the top of them. as mentioned this will give you exactly 2.5" of lift and keep the factory ride quality. i know a bunch of people on a budget that run this exact lift and a one other who runs it just for looks like you mentioned you wanted to do. go read thru this write up and you can see how it is installed :yup: http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?3976-Jeep-JK-Wrangler-2-5-quot-Budget-Boost-Installation-Write-Up

Teraflex's coil lift will give you about 3.5" because its so stiff. trust me, i run the 2.5" coil lift (and so did hinrich as he mentioned) and it got us that high but with a sacrifice of ride quality.

JKWrang

I run the Teraflex 2.5 and I really like it - like was said above ride is 100 %subjective and it just so happens I like a stiffer ride in a Jeep . It's all in what you pay for and what you want, I also have a four door. There are days I do notice some of the things that I did not get with the Teraflex lift but all in all with the bilsteins I feel like for me I made a good choice. For what it's worth if I had a larger budget I would have gone with the enforcer for a more complete kit
Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

JKWrang

It's worth noting that since you don't have 4 wheel drive you won't have the front drive shaft issue

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
It's worth noting that since you don't have 4 wheel drive you won't have the front drive shaft issue

This is correct. I don't believe any 2WD 2-doors were made either so, he should be fine with his factory drive shaft.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
this isnt a body lift, this is a coil spacer lift. you retain your factory coils but add this spacer to the top of them. as mentioned this will give you exactly 2.5" of lift and keep the factory ride quality. i know a bunch of people on a budget that run this exact lift and a one other who runs it just for looks like you mentioned you wanted to do. go read thru this write up and you can see how it is installed :yup: http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?3976-Jeep-JK-Wrangler-2-5-quot-Budget-Boost-Installation-Write-Up

Teraflex's coil lift will give you about 3.5" because its so stiff. trust me, i run the 2.5" coil lift (and so did hinrich as he mentioned) and it got us that high but with a sacrifice of ride quality.

What he said, a "coil spacer" lift are literally spacers that sit on top of your coils. A "body lift" are pucks that physically raise your body higher off your frame. The two are not the same.

Like cozdude, I personally would recommend a "coil spacer" lift or, what is known as a budget boost as it will give you what you are looking for and do it for cheap.

Aedawsey

When you guys say stiff what do you mean? Most of my miles will be on highway so how will I notice the stiffness If the most I hit is a pot hole.
Also if I don't need to replace my front driveshaft because I don't have four wheel drive than can I go with a 3 inch teraflex lift without fear?
I appreciate the recommendation and I'm keeping that in mind I just feel like I won't get the look I want with that budget boost.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
When you guys say stiff what do you mean? Most of my miles will be on highway so how will I notice the stiffness If the most I hit is a pot hole.

For me, I feel the stiffness mostly ON PAVEMENT. Speed bumps, pot holes, rail road tracks, drive ways - it just gets annoying but, that's just me. Bombing through the desert sucks too. On the rocks, you're going so slow that it makes no difference.

Also if I don't need to replace my front driveshaft because I don't have four wheel drive than can I go with a 3 inch teraflex lift without fear?
I appreciate the recommendation and I'm keeping that in mind I just feel like I won't get the look I want with that budget boost.

How big of a tire are you hoping to run? 37's? The TeraFlex 3" lift will yield you OVER 4" of lift and it'll look silly with just 35's or smaller. But, if you're going after that 1980's sky high look, that's a different story :cool:

Aedawsey

For me, I feel the stiffness mostly ON PAVEMENT. Speed bumps, pot holes, rail road tracks, drive ways - it just gets annoying but, that's just me. Bombing through the desert sucks too. On the rocks, you're going so slow that it makes no difference.

How big of a tire are you hoping to run? 37's? The TeraFlex 3" lift will yield you OVER 4" of lift and it'll look silly with just 35's or smaller. But, if you're going after that 1980's sky high look, that's a different story :cool:

The biggest tire I'm aiming for is 35s, I'm not trying to go sky high, I just want to sit nicely off the ground but the reason I feel like I need to go with a lift bigger than 2.5 because most of the pictures I see of jeeps with that lift don't seem that tall. I might just need to see some better before and after pictures.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The biggest tire I'm aiming for is 35s, I'm not trying to go sky high, I just want to sit nicely off the ground but the reason I feel like I need to go with a lift bigger than 2.5 because most of the pictures I see of jeeps with that lift don't seem that tall. I might just need to see some better before and after pictures.

I have personally installed and tested the TeraFlex 2.5" and 3" and 4" lifts. They are ALL a lot taller than what they are advertised to be. If you really want a 3" lift to clear your 35" tires, I would recommend that you get their 2.5" lift. Even at that, I would also recommend that you get a set of adjustable front lower control arms as your caster will be off enough to warrant a correction. Without it, your handling will feel flighty at highway speeds.

Top Bottom