Long arm kit ?

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
Any recommendations for cutting it? Or the best way to go about it ?

Sent from my XT907 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Sawzall, I like flap wheels on a right angle grinder also. Might have to set it at full bump with tires on and see what needs trimming.

olram30

All I know is what I myself personally install on my jeep, which has been several different lifts as well as the other 10-12 lifts per year I install on others. Our group are not by any means heavy hardcore rock bashers. We are all mostly daily drivers and trail riders with a somewhat medium level of income.
So most of the jeeps I build do very well.

That pretty much sums up majority of the forum also. The best lift is one that fits a person's budget and needs.
Looking at the last jkx, the dynatrac jeep ran 37" tires and the enforcer kit.
Evolander runs coil overs with just lower control arms, everything else is pretty much factory. Point is you just need quality parts and you can tackle just about anything.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Any recommendations for cutting it? Or the best way to go about it ?

As others have mentioned, just mark off what you think you need to trim and use a sawzall. In a pinch, I have used a hacksaw in the past and it works too. If you need to clearance more, a grider with a flap disc does well.

All I know is what I myself personally install on my jeep, which has been several different lifts as well as the other 10-12 lifts per year I install on others. Our group are not by any means heavy hardcore rock bashers.

Wow, you're so cool. But, I never questioned what "you" know, just what you were recommending. And, unless I am mistaken, the Rebel assembled RK kit is not something you have personally installed.

We are all mostly daily drivers and trail riders with a somewhat medium level of income.
So most of the jeeps I build do very well.

Yeah, I just run a trailer queen and magically have money growing on trees. I've never turned a wrench in my life.

snopro

Banned
As others have mentioned, just mark off what you think you need to trim and use a sawzall. In a pinch, I have used a hacksaw in the past and it works too. If you need to clearance more, a grider with a flap disc does well.

Wow, you're so cool. But, I never questioned what "you" know, just what you were recommending. And, unless I am mistaken, the Rebel assembled RK kit is not something you have personally installed.

Yeah, I just run a trailer queen and magically have money growing on trees. I've never turned a wrench in my life.

Last time I seen Moby and Rubicat was at off-road Evo getting stuff installed. Your "money" income is quite more than 99% of the people I help. I'm sorry I came across like I was posting that. I didn't quote your last post.

snopro

Banned

I try to help people by showing them how to work I their jeeps so if they can actually be self suciffent on the trail. I'm not on here trying to bash anyone. Like I stated several times. I know you maintain your jeeps and fix them them when you go out on your several trips every year.
Some people I help out can only afford one trip a year and can't put several thousands of dollars in thier jeeps.

olram30

Just going to put this out there..

Attachments

• 1412264556934.jpg
    1412264556934.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 126

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Last time I seen Moby and Rubicat was at off-road Evo getting stuff installed.

Well yeah, wouldn't want to get grease under my fingernails. :cool:

Your "money" income is quite more than 99% of the people...

:cheesy: Like I said, my money magically grows on trees. Not like I've ever had to work hard and save for any of the things I have. I mean, who does that? :crazyeyes:

...I help.

Wow, you help people? Maybe someday I can help someone and be cool just like you.

snopro

Banned
So back to the subject, I think if your goal is 37's and long arms and daily drivers-
these guys on this forum are pretty knowledgeable for full rock crawling setups. I mostly help out short arm setups and daily drivers. Maybe a long arm system needs 3.5 or larger lift.

snopro

Banned
Well yeah, wouldn't want to get grease under my fingernails. :cool:

:cheesy: Like I said, my money magically grows on trees. Not like I've ever had to work hard and save for any of the things I have. I mean, who does that? :crazyeyes:

Wow, you help people? Maybe someday I can help someone and be cool just like you.

Why do I bother, I should remember this forum is supposed to follow " Do What I Say" and not fit the build for the person

olram30

So back to the subject, I think if your goal is 37's and long arms and daily drivers-
these guys on this forum are pretty knowledgeable for full rock crawling setups. I mostly help out short arm setups and daily drivers. Maybe a long arm system needs 3.5 or larger lift.

I don't have a "full rock crawling" set up. A good set up is one that can do great both on and off road. I mostly help people with short arm and regular coil set ups also.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I try to help people by showing them how to work I their jeeps so if they can actually be self suciffent on the trail.

You got me there. I wouldn't know anything about trying to help people by showing them how to work on their own Jeeps so that they can actually be self-sufficient on the trail.

I'm not on here trying to bash anyone.

Never said you were. From what I can tell, you're just here to prop yourself up and humbly declare how awesome you are :yup:

Like I stated several times. I know you maintain your jeeps and fix them them when you go out on your several trips every year.

"Several trips" a year is a lot. You sure I even get out that much? As far as maintaining and fixing my Jeeps go, not sure how I can do that when my Jeeps are always at EVO getting stuff installed :idontknow:

Some people I help out can only afford one trip a year and can't put several thousands of dollars in thier jeeps.

It's so cool that you help people that can barely help themselves. I mean, you're like a St. Francis of the Jeep community. Me, I've never offered up my garage to help anyone with anything. As far as money goes, I wouldn't have any idea what it's like to scour the recycler for used parts and save a little from every check with the hopes of buying a used set of tires. It's so cool that guys like you exist. :daydream:

snopro

Banned
"Several trips" a year is a lot. You sure I even get out that much? As far as maintaining and fixing my Jeeps go, not sure how I can do that when my Jeeps are always at EVO getting stuff installed :idontknow:

I was only going off what you stated in another post about 9 runs in two months and you had issues. Most of us "flatlanders" here in Minnesota and Iowa are lucky to get out on a total of 3-4 runs all year.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
these guys on this forum are pretty knowledgeable for full rock crawling setups.

Don't know how a guy like me could know anything at all when all my work is done at Off Road Evolution. Of course, I wouldn't know anything about daily drivers as I only have 137,000 miles on my 2007 JK and a mere 70,000 miles on my 2012 JK. This is of course to say nothing about my old 2009 JK that I sold with just 50,000 miles on it. I know, pitiful but it's hard to rack up miles when you don't use your Jeeps as a daily drivers.

I mostly help out short arm setups and daily drivers.

Yeah, the only setups I've ever run are long arms kits. Hell, with all my money, I was able to get Jeeps from the factory with them on! :thumb:

Maybe a long arm system needs 3.5 or larger lift.

"Need", no. You just wouldn't see any benefits of long arms at 3" of lift or less.

Why do I bother, I should remember this forum is supposed to follow " Do What I Say" and not fit the build for the person

You bother because it seems it's the only way can prop yourself up and make yourself feel important.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I was only going off what you stated in another post about 9 runs in two months and you had issues.

Must have been a lie. You yourself said that I only get out "several" times a year. :idontknow:

Most of us "flatlanders" here in Minnesota and Iowa are lucky to get out on a total of 3-4 runs all year.

Again, according to what you said, that's all I do.

snopro

Banned
"Need", no. You just wouldn't see any benefits of long arms at 3" of lift or less.
Does a person loose travel by only running 3 inches on a long arm or is it recommended to go bigger to allow larger tires?
Why I ask is I personally like to go long arm but want to keep LCG

JRoc

Not to high jack this thread...

I'm still new to the Jeep world, so forgive me for asking. I have been compiling my build sheet and have been torn between the Evo 4" enforcer and the Clayton LA kit. The Clayton kit is definitely more expensive. Can someone please explain what a "radius front" is and how this compares with the Evo Enforcer set up? :thinking:

I will be building a rock crawler and am only interested in the LA kits for ride quality. This will be my daily driver as well, because I don't make the money that some guys on here do, so it seems...:grayno: Any clarification would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Does a person loose travel by only running 3 inches on a long arm or is it recommended to go bigger to allow larger tires?
Why I ask is I personally like to go long arm but want to keep LCG

There really is only one reason to run long arms and that's to help restore your suspension geometry when lifted tall enough to start effecting your ride quality adversely. At that height, long arms will also help allow for proper axle travel without the swiping you would see with short arms. The JK factory length arms are way longer than the old TJ and up to 3" of lift, there simply isn't enough change in the geometry to warrant the need for long arms. If you are wanting to stay 3" or less, I would save your money and just stick with a good set of factory length arms.

olram30

I'm still new to the Jeep world, so forgive me for asking. I have been compiling my build sheet and have been torn between the Evo 4" enforcer and the Clayton LA kit. The Clayton kit is definitely more expensive. Can someone please explain what a "radius front" is and how this compares with the Evo Enforcer set up? :thinking:

I will be building a rock crawler and am only interested in the LA kits for ride quality. This will be my daily driver as well, because I don't make the money that some guys on here do, so it seems...:grayno: Any clarification would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

I don't know the cost of the clayton kit, but evo has a nice 4" double d long arm kit. This comes with just about everything you need for a good cost.

http://www.offroadevolution.com/store/proddetail.php?prod=EVO-DD-LONGARM

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Well, to be clear, you are comparing apples and oranges here. The EVO Enforcer kit is standard kit that utilizes factory length arms. The Clayton kit is a "long arm" kit in that it require you to cut off the factory mounts off your frame rails and install new ones more toward the center so that you can run longer arms. EVO does sell a Double D kit which is a true 4-link long arm kit and that's what you should be comparing the Clayton kit to.

Regarding radius arms, they are great on vehicles like desert race trucks where you have big vertical travel of the axle. However, by it's design, radius arms are in a state of bind the moment you try to force them to articulate. If you were to disconnect the radius arms at the frame, they would stand straight out like a diving board. See image below:

attachment.php

In fact, if you were to grab each end of the radius arms and try to push them in opposite directions, you would find it very difficult to do as your axle holds them firmly in place. Think of your sway bar - not the links but the actual sway bar itself - it is basically a torsion bar that wraps around with 2 arms that the links are attached to. That's essentially what your front axle and radius arms are like only, your axle is no torsion bar and it will not twist. believe it or not, there are companies that have made axles that allow for this kind of rotation on the axle but without it, you have bind. Now, having said all that, you can force radius arms to flex but in order to do so, an enormous amount of stress is placed into your bushings as they get squashed and stretch and in time, these bushings will fail.

Being that you want to build a Jeep that will need to flex, I would recommend that you not get a kit with radius arms.

JK1

I don't know the cost of the clayton kit, but evo has a nice 4" double d long arm kit. This comes with just about everything you need for a good cost.

Agree i have the Double d kit and it is amazing on the road and off.. My only complaint is the rear brackets for the lowers. i smaked the shit out of them on the rocks but they hold up. I wish i would have went with the high clearance kit but didnt have the coin to do the evolever so that will be an upgrade in the future for sure... also if you go to coil overs down the road this is a great kit to have first.:beer:

Top Bottom