How far will insurance cover your modified JeeP?

Irish JK

Caught the Bug
It's your vehicle, I could care less what you do.

Perfect.

Im posting for others to learn because they may not know and get told the wrong information.

Which is exactly what you are doing.

My personal experience with modified vehicles, including all my friends that had different companies, is that aftermarket stuff is never covered.

Well your experience must be all encompassing so we should all take this as fact.

Not their expensive HRE wheels, not their turbo kits, coilovers.

Again, not always true, so do not try and tell everyone that it will not happen.

If your insurance covers your parts, great, my posts aren't meant for you.

So, what are your posts for then?

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Perfect.

Which is exactly what you are doing.

Well your experience must be all encompassing so we should all take this as fact.

Again, not always true, so do not try and tell everyone that it will not happen.

So, what are your posts for then?

My posts are meant for those that think they are rolling around with coverage when in reality, they don't. Most also don't understand the difference between aftermarket coverage and something that LOOKS like you got paid for an aftermarket part, because the fact is, most OEM retail prices are often higher than aftermarket. The retail price of a rubicon wheel is MORE than the retail price of a slab, which is why insurance would pay for a slab without blinking, but they are NOT covering an aftermarket part....there is a big difference. Same goes for a 10A hood vs a Rugged Ridge hood...or an Evo bumper vs a 10A bumper...the OEM costs more money. You really believe that StateFarm is going to cover Moby for full value if Eddie was paying to insure a 2008 Rubicon? If this is what you believe there is no point in discussing this further.

Irish JK

Caught the Bug
My posts are meant for those that think they are rolling around with coverage when in reality, they don't. Most also don't understand the difference between aftermarket coverage and something that LOOKS like you got paid for an aftermarket part, because the fact is, most OEM retail prices are often higher than aftermarket. The retail price of a rubicon wheel is MORE than the retail price of a slab, which is why insurance would pay for a slab without blinking, but they are NOT covering an aftermarket part....there is a big difference. Same goes for a 10A hood vs a Rugged Ridge hood...or an Evo bumper vs a 10A bumper...the OEM costs more money. You really believe that StateFarm is going to cover Moby for full value if Eddie was paying to insure a 2008 Rubicon? If this is what you believe there is no point in discussing this further.

The only part I agree with is this is no longer with discussing with you. You are talking theoretical, I am talking actual direct experience to these exact type of vehicles with one of these exact insurers.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
The only part I agree with is this is no longer with discussing with you. You are talking theoretical, I am talking actual direct experience to these exact type of vehicles with one of these exact insurers.

So it should be extremely simple for you to post Statefarm's customized vehicle policy, or anything on the subject directly from them.

Kickrocks

I never got a "custom" insurance policy. As I mentioned, I been with my State Farm Agent for 16yrs and never had a problem. I just know if you have a custom Jeep they would want to take pictures and have receipts. If you don't have receipts then they would like to take pictures, if it ever got stolen. Again, mine was totaled and they could see all the after market parts, and they gave me 50% of the today's value.

The appraisal company called today. They have reviewed my add ons/upgrades and are sending the results back to the insurance company. I should have an answer by tomorrow.

sean.m.adams33

The appraisal company called today. They have reviewed my add ons/upgrades and are sending the results back to the insurance company. I should have an answer by tomorrow.

Mine came back pretty close to what I had in (parts not labor of course). You should be good. Good luck brother.

Thanks everyone!!! The insurance company sent over the third party appraisal. They said they would call tomorrow with the offer.. I'll keep you posted. There are things to be learned through this.....

Well, its finally finalized. I picked up the check from them today. I feel VERY fortunate to have gotten what I did from them. This is how the rest of the story played out.

The 60+ pages of receipts went over to the third party appraisal service and they called me to go over them. At first he just wanted to give me a few thousand dollars for "some" of the modifications that I had done. They had, for the most part been done in the last year and a half and so that played into it in my favor. As I began to educate him on the reasons and purposes of the modifications, he began to change his stance. I offered to show him a few similar rigs that are for sale on the net and he continued to change his tune. I give him a simple example of buying a new Camaro and turning it into a drag car for performance reasons and thats when it hit him the hardest. He quickly understood what I was saying and thanked me for my time. We didn't even make it to the second of the three summary sheets.

I followed up the next morning with the total loss department and they said they had gotten the appraisal and would follow up with me the next day with their offer. The next day they called and offered me the appraisal rate plus taxes and deducted my deductible. I felt that that was a good offer and accepted. Two days later (today) I picked up the check from them. IF I hadn't educated the appraiser on the value of the mods, I would have been screwed.

I have learned a lot through this process and hope others will glean a few insights into their situation. I would not wish this on anyone!!!! I will have a location device in my new rig!

rogerk93

Well, its finally finalized. I picked up the check from them today. I feel VERY fortunate to have gotten what I did from them. This is how the rest of the story played out.

The 60+ pages of receipts went over to the third party appraisal service and they called me to go over them. At first he just wanted to give me a few thousand dollars for "some" of the modifications that I had done. They had, for the most part been done in the last year and a half and so that played into it in my favor. As I began to educate him on the reasons and purposes of the modifications, he began to change his stance. I offered to show him a few similar rigs that are for sale on the net and he continued to change his tune. I give him a simple example of buying a new Camaro and turning it into a drag car for performance reasons and thats when it hit him the hardest. He quickly understood what I was saying and thanked me for my time. We didn't even make it to the second of the three summary sheets.

I followed up the next morning with the total loss department and they said they had gotten the appraisal and would follow up with me the next day with their offer. The next day they called and offered me the appraisal rate plus taxes and deducted my deductible. I felt that that was a good offer and accepted. Two days later (today) I picked up the check from them. IF I hadn't educated the appraiser on the value of the mods, I would have been screwed.

I have learned a lot through this process and hope others will glean a few insights into their situation. I would not wish this on anyone!!!! I will have a location device in my new rig!

I've been following your story since it happened and really glad it all worked out.

rogerk93

Just curious how did you explain to the purpose of the mods to the appraiser? You explained the use or safety of it?

JAGS

Hooked
While the whole thing still sucks, at least you came away with about the best possible result.

Top Bottom