How far will insurance cover your modified JeeP?

Brankz

When I contacted my insurance with my 2 door they told me that with my record they will only cover my jeep no mods or nothing 😓
I have full coverage but my record is not the best lol 😁😏

mo0s3

geico lets you add the parts on the policy btw. I just added my roof rack, roof top tent, sliders, bumper and tires for a extra $3 a month .

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
I would love to hear your results.....my guess is you are going to be supremely disappointed. Most people just plain don't understand how insurance works.

If I buy a new rubicon for 45K, I pay insurance to cover a 45K vehicle. If I then turn my rig into Moby, that's now worth 125K, but still pay my insurance company for a 45K vehicle, they are not going to cover anything more than the stock vehicle...which is all I'm paying for.

On my personal jeep, I pay for additional coverage of aftermarket parts (GEICO), which is why if things ever get stolen, I get paid for them, because I paid to have them covered. I don't see how people expect to increase the insurance companies risk, by adding value to the vehicle without paying for it, and then expecting to get their money back.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
geico lets you add the parts on the policy btw. I just added my roof rack, roof top tent, sliders, bumper and tires for a extra $3 a month .

Bingo. It's a pretty small fee. The only thing I don't have insured are my wheels/tires and my winch. Winches are considered commercial items and geico can actually drop you for it, and the wheels/tires aren't worth it...the cost is too high to insure them.

jeeeep

Hooked
Allstate provides additional coverage for mods as well..of course for additional $$ but it may be worth it depending on the mods you have.

Irish JK

Caught the Bug
I would love to hear your results.....my guess is you are going to be supremely disappointed. Most people just plain don't understand how insurance works.

If I buy a new rubicon for 45K, I pay insurance to cover a 45K vehicle. If I then turn my rig into Moby, that's now worth 125K, but still pay my insurance company for a 45K vehicle, they are not going to cover anything more than the stock vehicle...which is all I'm paying for.

On my personal jeep, I pay for additional coverage of aftermarket parts (GEICO), which is why if things ever get stolen, I get paid for them, because I paid to have them covered. I don't see how people expect to increase the insurance companies risk, by adding value to the vehicle without paying for it, and then expecting to get their money back.

FYI, every single insurance company has their own individual policy and fine print and they do not all work as you have described with Geico above.

I wish there was a place I could take my Jeep and simply get it appraised as it sits. Then, insure it for that value. This is what I have done for all of my classic cars. Like a modified Jeep, a classic or restored car has lots of hours of labor in it to make it what it is. The problem is, you can get a classic car accurately appraised fairly easily. I don't know of anyone doing it for off-road type vehicles.

I have a writer for my bicycles where I was able to take a pic and state a value, then they added them to my policy for that stated value. I wish it were this easy for the Jeep. (I'm willing to pay, but this type of policy doesn't seem to exist.)

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
FYI, every single insurance company has their own individual policy and fine print and they do not all work as you have described with Geico above.

All insurance works the same exact way. You pay a certain amount of money to insurance a certain amount of risk. You cannot increase the risk without changing the amount of money needed to cover it. I have been on forums for a long time, and have never saw ANYONE get paid for mods other than whatever fit into their insurance policy money wise. If you insure a rubicon, you get paid for a rubicon, not a rubicon with a roof rack, a 50" rigid bar, a dynatrac 60, 37s on slabs, a hemi swap, and an aev hood. Believe what you want, but insurance isn't really a secret. If you want full value for your add-ons, you need to pay for the coverage. Oh, and BTW, the sh!t people are told by their idiot insurance agents is usually not even remotely close to reality, and many people find that out the hard way.

thardy

Banned
All insurance works the same exact way. You pay a certain amount of money to insurance a certain amount of risk. You cannot increase the risk without changing the amount of money needed to cover it. I have been on forums for a long time, and have never saw ANYONE get paid for mods other than whatever fit into their insurance policy money wise. If you insure a rubicon, you get paid for a rubicon, not a rubicon with a roof rack, a 50" rigid bar, a dynatrac 60, 37s on slabs, a hemi swap, and an aev hood. Believe what you want, but insurance isn't really a secret. If you want full value for your add-ons, you need to pay for the coverage. Oh, and BTW, the sh!t people are told by their idiot insurance agents is usually not even remotely close to reality, and many people find that out the hard way.

I believe we all understand that fact. The problem is that a lot of insurance companies don't have a way to modify the policy in that manner. Or at least they don't advertise it.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass

I insured my first JK for all the parts. It was totaled in a crash. The insurance came back and says the agent was wrong on insuring it that way. They wouldn't cover the extra parts.

Long story short, I removed every single mod off the jeep. Including the gears, which happened to be connected to the e lockers.. Lol.

I believe we all understand that fact. The problem is that a lot of insurance companies don't have a way to modify the policy in that manner. Or at least they don't advertise it.

Right... I have discussed this with my agent (who works with several insurance companies) I want to cover my 13' Rubicon and add $10kish to the value (That I am willing to pay for) The problem is they have no way of doing this. They will add specific items with receipts, but the installation and or labor has no value. Including things I've made myself.

My issue with this is. If Joe-blow hits and totals my rig. Buying a new (or comparable) rig and a pallet of parts hardly puts me back to where I was....

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
I insured my first JK for all the parts. It was totaled in a crash. The insurance came back and says the agent was wrong on insuring it that way. They wouldn't cover the extra parts.

Long story short, I removed every single mod off the jeep. Including the gears, which happened to be connected to the e lockers.. Lol.

Wow, so they even screwed you when you actually had your parts insured, now imagine if you didnt? BTW, if they collected extra money from you all that time, they owe you the coverage, regardless of the fact that it was done incorrectly.

When my buddy crashed my M3 years ago, my mods weren't covered and the car was totalled, but since the parts aren't covered the insurance company had to let me take them all off (2 wheels that survived, spoiler, lights, stereo, etc)

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug

Absolutely possible, and if that's the policy you have, then you modify at your own risk, knowing full well that you are going to lose your money if your rig ever totals. That's cool, I did it for years on most of my rides back in the day...I knew the risk, and did it anyway. My point for posting what I did was simply so people understand that unless they pay for extra mod coverage, they won't be covered, and no matter what their agent tells them, big corporate isn't going to shell out extra cookies when it comes time to dip into the milk.

rogerk93

After reading a thread yesterday I switched to State Farm. After telling the insurance agent my jeep is modified she told me State Farm is very good regarding modifications and all she needed was the receipts to make copies of. That's what we spent an hour doing today. I've read many post on This form and others how State Farm came through paying for the mods after an accident.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
After reading a thread yesterday I switched to State Farm. After telling the insurance agent my jeep is modified she told me State Farm is very good regarding modifications and all she needed was the receipts to make copies of. That's what we spent an hour doing today. I've read many post on This form and others how State Farm came through paying for the mods after an accident.

I would like to hear from someone that had statefarm that paid for just a base vehicle, and got a high dollar item covered, like a gobi rack, a dynatrac axle, a rigid 50", etc. Maybe they cover rugged ridge hood latches, but I refuse to believe they are going to cover an evo DTD coilover setup for 20K. As I said earlier, what your agent told you isn't going to be what statefarm corporate going to cut a check for.

Kickrocks

I would like to hear from someone that had statefarm that paid for just a base vehicle, and got a high dollar item covered, like a gobi rack, a dynatrac axle, a rigid 50", etc. Maybe they cover rugged ridge hood latches, but I refuse to believe they are going to cover an evo DTD coilover setup for 20K. As I said earlier, what your agent told you isn't going to be what statefarm corporate going to cut a check for.

I totaled my LJ back in December and it was highly modified down to custom currie housing. I purchased the Jeep with 45k for 17k with all the addon already done to it. When I contacted my State Farm rep who i have dealt with for 16 yrs just told me to come in and get pictures taken of the jeep. I never did, and because I purchased the jeep with all the mods already preinstalled I didn't have any receipts, except a few that I had from my own add ons. When I flipped my jeep on the bridge my insurance company (STATE FARM) was awesome. They gave me 50% of todays value of all the add ons with no receipt except the few that I provided. Now, this is because they could physically inspect the jeep and see that it was highly modified. The adjuster actually told State Farm to get in contact with me to get the list of modification. I actually made money on because the Jeep Appraised at 21k stock and they gave me an addition 10k for the the modification. Again with little to no receipt. I did take my wheels and tires off because they had less the 10k miles on them. So I will be sticking with State Farm for as long as I own a modified Jeep.

If you want I can provide a copy of my mods and what I submitted to state farm to back my claim up. And then the Check for my 2006 LJ

Irish JK

Caught the Bug

You have but you refuse to listen.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
I totaled my LJ back in December and it was highly modified down to custom currie housing. I purchased the Jeep with 45k for 17k with all the addon already done to it. When I contacted my State Farm rep who i have dealt with for 16 yrs just told me to come in and get pictures taken of the jeep. I never did, and because I purchased the jeep with all the mods already preinstalled I didn't have any receipts, except a few that I had from my own add ons. When I flipped my jeep on the bridge my insurance company (STATE FARM) was awesome. They gave me 50% of todays value of all the add ons with no receipt except the few that I provided. Now, this is because they could physically inspect the jeep and see that it was highly modified. The adjuster actually told State Farm to get in contact with me to get the list of modification. I actually made money on because the Jeep Appraised at 21k stock and they gave me an addition 10k for the the modification. Again with little to no receipt. I did take my wheels and tires off because they had less the 10k miles on them. So I will be sticking with State Farm for as long as I own a modified Jeep.

If you want I can provide a copy of my mods and what I submitted to state farm to back my claim up. And then the Check for my 2006 LJ

I believe you, but I considered switching to state farm because someone made this same claim a while back in another thread. I called them and the person on the phone told me what you just said, they cover, don't worry, etc, but when I asked them to provide that to me in writing, they couldn't, and in my experience, with insurance companies, if it's not in writing, it's as good as non-existent. Do you have your aftermarket coverage in writing?

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
You have but you refuse to listen.

It's your vehicle, I could care less what you do. Im posting for others to learn because they may not know and get told the wrong information. My personal experience with modified vehicles, including all my friends that had different companies, is that aftermarket stuff is never covered. Not their expensive HRE wheels, not their turbo kits, coilovers. If your insurance covers your parts, great, my posts aren't meant for you.

Top Bottom