How far will insurance cover your modified JeeP?

Just curious how did you explain to the purpose of the mods to the appraiser? You explained the use or safety of it?

A little of both! Whats the difference in a stock engine and a 545 that has milled heads, flat top pistons (10:1) with a lowered suspension and beefed up axles with a balanced drive line....running NOS? Hope that helps....;);)

RDE2ROK

:thumb: I'm glad they were willing to sit and talk with you. Congradulations and good luck on your next Rig!:beer:

el_chupo_

Yeah, if you are comfortable sharing, how did the numbers play out? With mostly recent additions and receipts (like the ORE stuff done just before it was teken), did they only cover parts, cover parts and some labor, etc?

I would also love to hear what the appraiser came up with as a value for your rig. It wont be the same for everyone, but some people buy modified rigs and dont have paperwork, would love to hear how that part went.

Glad you were able to get an amount you seem happy with, though I am sure thats not what you were wanting - wish you still had the Jeep, but congrats on the new one!

Last edited:
I am not trying to be an ass....I am not all the way settled with the insurance company (I don't have the trailer worked out yet-plus I had all my tools taken that were in the Jeep and in my big box on the trailer. I also had three spares taken-one for the trailer that was bolted to the trailer and two for my tow rig that were chained and locked to the trailer under the Jeep). Once I get all of this settled, I will post up how much I got for the jeep. There was talk of putting all the other stuff on my home policy but now they are talking of just putting it all under the jeep......

I will also put the name of the appraisal company so that others that may want to get an appraisal done, they can. When I did a search for them by name, there was an advertisement for them locally (i am in Utah, they are in Washington state) to do just that. Stay tuned for a little while longer for how all that turns out......

MTG and I were just discussing some of the details....this might help to get a better understanding of what I got back form insurance for now. I had bought the Rubicon new in 08'. I had done almost all of the work except gears and the last trip to ORE were they changed my rear control arm brackets and added the 3degree brackets to my rear axle tubings. They Frenched in bumpstops in the rear and added bumpstops to the front. They adjusted everything else so it would perform how everything was supposed to (they cleaned up my mistakes!) and did an oil change on everything. My receipts for everything including the labor to ORE and my radios (Ham and CB) totaled over $30,000. I got back the replacement value of the Jeep plus about 70% of the modifications and labor. That may shed some light for now.

ERAUGrad04

Caught the Bug
Really glad this worked out for you!

Having recently switched to State Farm, I'm glad to hear that they acknowledged and paid out for the aftermarket mods.

NevadaZielmeister

Caught the Bug
MTG and I were just discussing some of the details....this might help to get a better understanding of what I got back form insurance for now. I had bought the Rubicon new in 08'. I had done almost all of the work except gears and the last trip to ORE were they changed my rear control arm brackets and added the 3degree brackets to my rear axle tubings. They Frenched in bumpstops in the rear and added bumpstops to the front. They adjusted everything else so it would perform how everything was supposed to (they cleaned up my mistakes!) and did an oil change on everything. My receipts for everything including the labor to ORE and my radios (Ham and CB) totaled over $30,000. I got back the replacement value of the Jeep plus about 70% of the modifications and labor. That may shed some light for now.

Wow!! You did great!!! I can say that you approached this correctly and professionally. You did have to employ your own appraiser, but in the end it worked out. This can be a lessons for others and how to handle this.

This is one of the reasons I have always been with Statefarm. I have always had good luck with them.

el_chupo_

Wasnt trying to pry too much, sorry about that. That information you provided is great, kind of an idea of what to expect in a worst case. I dont need or want your exact numbers (didnt mean to come off that way, your business, not mine!), but replacement and % of mods/labor is a great way to think about how much a company might pay back. I have been with my current company for a few years, but State Farm is on the radar as they currently have our home insurance, and how they treated you is great to hear.

I do hope things work out on the rest of the stuff as well.

Last edited:
Wasnt trying to pry too much, sorry about that. That information you provided is great, kind of an idea of what to expect in a worst case. I dont need or want your exact numbers (didnt mean to come off that way, your business, not mine!), but replacement and % of mods/labor is a great way to think about how much a company might pay back. I have been with my current company for a few years, but State Farm is on the radar as they currently have our home insurance, and how they treated you is great to hear.

I do hope things work out on the rest of the stuff as well.

Hahahah, I didn't take it wrong at all!!! That was the reason for the thread in the first place. I think the key is to have an appraisal and do your homework to educate their appraiser. Receipts helped too!

seanb123

That's great! Now was this because the mods were so recent? In essence was anything prior to the ore trip covered?

Fir-na-tine

Caught the Bug
Scheduled a sit down with State Farm for Monday to work out coverage on my Jeep......it's almost completed and should be ready to go home soon and I want to have my coverage in place prior to leaving Trail Jeeps in route to South Florida.......I'll be sure to itemize each of the modifications with the price and a picture top, bottom, sides, front, and back......Hopefully the agents here in Florida will be on board with giving me the coverage I'm looking for......I also have looked into installing GPS locator with back up 24hr battery......I want to thank you for starting this thread and filling us in on what happened....I'm sorry you went through what you went through with the theft......I hate thieves and to me they are one of the lowest of low life's to exist......My house was burglarized a couple of years ago and they ransacked nearly every room and stole some sentimental jewelry from my grand parents......the feeling of being violated and the intense anger that followed took some time for me get over........Aspen good look with your next build I can't wait to see it.......Thank you again for posting the results

~Woodrow~

Scheduled a sit down with State Farm for Monday to work out coverage on my Jeep......it's almost completed and should be ready to go home soon and I want to have my coverage in place prior to leaving Trail Jeeps in route to South Florida.......I'll be sure to itemize each of the modifications with the price and a picture top, bottom, sides, front, and back......Hopefully the agents here in Florida will be on board with giving me the coverage I'm looking for......I also have looked into installing GPS locator with back up 24hr battery......I want to thank you for starting this thread and filling us in on what happened....I'm sorry you went through what you went through with the theft......I hate thieves and to me they are one of the lowest of low life's to exist......My house was burglarized a couple of years ago and they ransacked nearly every room and stole some sentimental jewelry from my grand parents......the feeling of being violated and the intense anger that followed took some time for me get over........Aspen good look with your next build I can't wait to see it.......Thank you again for posting the results

~Woodrow~

I'm glad others can takeaway what works for them. I am doing the same thing with trackers. I am actually looking into developing one with my brother. Maybe there is some good to come out of this.

Top Bottom