How far will insurance cover your modified JeeP?

Irish JK

Caught the Bug
Really? Based on what? What experience do you have?

I have very personal experience in dealing with State Farm in a total loss claim.

Please share your qualifications with us. Saying what I said is false is like telling a lawyer the law is wrong.

I have no need to share my qualifications and the second part of your comment is non sequitur.

That was why I offered the OP to contact me because all policies are different. Reading and understanding the policy is key. I cannot comment further until I have more info,

Oh, now you can't comment....I see

ScoobyCarolanNC

So Nevada says he worked/works in the industry & offered to help any way he can. He also said every policy is different & he doesn't know any details. He didn't have to offer & the last thing anyone should do is jump on a fellow member for trying to help one of us.

Frankly, I'd be lawyering up. Even just an hour consult (let's say $400) could help net a higher return & offset the loss. The more you know...

thardy

Banned
So Nevada says he worked/works in the industry & offered to help any way he can. He also said every policy is different & he doesn't know any details. He didn't have to offer & the last thing anyone should do is jump on a fellow member for trying to help one of us.

Frankly, I'd be lawyering up. Even just an hour consult (let's say $400) could help net a higher return & offset the loss. The more you know...

Not sure if you're referring to my comment or not, but it was not meant to "jump" on him. He has thrown his insurance knowledge and experience around I just about every possible way since he has joined, and if he is giving accurate and helpful information, awesome. But if another member feels the information that is being provided is inaccurate, I would hope they would explain the situation, just like Irish did. No jumping on here.

Hopefully the company will do right by the OP!

ScoobyCarolanNC

I prolly shouldn't have jumped in this. Aspenkid asked for help & advice so someone offered. I just didn't want to see his thread go off in another direction on anyone's part. No matter what the situation sucks.

Aspen, got pics & a parts list? Maybe we can start scouring craigslist/eBay/etc. ?

NevadaZielmeister

Caught the Bug

Thank you.

Also, I COMPLETELY agree with seeing a lawyer. That is usually the best thing to do, get exact and accurate consultation, which is protected. The only problem, it can get expensive. Take the trial I watched this week. Even though we defended my customer with a defense verdict, we still had to pay $25,000 defending him with experts, lawyer, etc.

My non-legal advise is free and you can then double check with an attorney for an hour consultation.

Thardy,

My knowledge of off roading is very limited, so I am helping the forum anyway I can. Thank you for the acknowledgment.

thardy

Banned
I prolly shouldn't have jumped in this. Aspenkid asked for help & advice so someone offered. I just didn't want to see his thread go off in another direction on anyone's part. No matter what the situation sucks.

Aspen, got pics & a parts list? Maybe we can start scouring craigslist/eBay/etc. ?

No worries man. We just don't want people getting mis-information either. And you're right, the whole situation sucks. No one should ever have to go through this. I've seen it WAY too many times in the racing world. Thieves are the scum of the earth, that is all.

Thardy,

My knowledge of off roading is very limited, so I am helping the forum anyway I can. Thank you for the acknowledgment.

I'll be the first to say I don't fully understand insurance, so your advice and knowledge is welcome. My only suggestion is to not be quite so defensive if someone contradicts what you're saying. :cheers:

Last edited:
Thanks all for the empathy!!! It does suck. For now, I'm going try to stick with the progress and non assumptions.

I contacted my insurance company and they have reviewed my 60+ pages of add ins and have sent them over to an appraisal company. I will post the name of the company when we are all settled, but I am trying to just give small details till I'm all settles( I would hate for it to bite me in the butt right now). I looked them up on line and they have some experience it looks like. I have talked with a local appraisal company for my side already and my attorney as well. I will post some more details as I feel appropriate. Stay tuned for the full story at the end though...

NevadaZielmeister

Caught the Bug
Thanks all for the empathy!!! It does suck. For now, I'm going try to stick with the progress and non assumptions.

I contacted my insurance company and they have reviewed my 60+ pages of add ins and have sent them over to an appraisal company. I will post the name of the company when we are all settled, but I am trying to just give small details till I'm all settles( I would hate for it to bite me in the butt right now). I looked them up on line and they have some experience it looks like. I have talked with a local appraisal company for my side already and my attorney as well. I will post some more details as I feel appropriate. Stay tuned for the full story at the end though...

Well done Aspenkid, well done. You are handling this perfectly and I wish you a good outcome.

Petthefish

Ouch brother hope it all works out. Makes me think that low jack on a built rig might be worth the extra cost in the long run. Or at least add a rider to your insurance to just cover the build cost. Good luck man.

SaddleTramp

For those with experience, any suggestions on what is the best preemptive actions or policies to work towards for these situations?

SmokinV10

Caught the Bug
I've had numerous modified vehicles with State Farm for years. Theyve always covered nearly the full replacement cost of the modifications when there was a claim. Now I've never had a total loss but my agent has told me to keep just the receipts and take a lot of pictures. Moreover he said that there is no "limit"in terms of modification value. I do know that they depreciate the mods but being that yours was "fresh" being picked up from ore, that's likely a difficult argument to make.

Irish JK

Caught the Bug
For those with experience, any suggestions on what is the best preemptive actions or policies to work towards for these situations?

Document everything you add on and keep receipts and have as many photos as possible. That is about all you can do.

Stated value policies are basically worthless. If you can get you insurer to put in writing that they cover parts costs of all attached modifications, you are way ahead.

el_chupo_

I dont work in insurance, nor have I had to worry about aftermarket stuff in anything outside of a theft case, but...

It might be worthwhile to calling up a shop like ORE, or if you have a local dealership that sells modified jeeps to get an estimated value (trade in or retail) on the vehicle and modifications as well. I am guessing it will be hard to find comps in your area with the mods you have, so even if it isnt exact, that information might help if they low-ball you.

And FWIW, I have been talking to my insurance people about modifications to vehicles, as well as some other items I own, and their suggestions on both is a separate rider when I exceed certain payout limits built into the base policy. I am very interested, especially on modified vehicles, though.

And to add to the chorus, I hope this works out, and sorry it happened!

rogerk93

After reading many post on how state farm was great with dealing with claims involving mods. I just switched from geico. Plus it was cheaper with renters insurance. I have read somewhere how geico would not cover any mods even with receipts.

NevadaZielmeister

Caught the Bug
After reading many post on how state farm was great with dealing with claims involving mods. I just switched from geico. Plus it was cheaper with renters insurance. I have read somewhere how geico would not cover any mods even with receipts.

You are correct about GEICO. I worked for them for 2 years and they did not cover anything like this... At all.

I've been with StateFarm since I was 16 (20yrs). I had a TJ that was broke into about 10 years ago. They were easy to work with and even covered my Flashlight that was stolen. I miss that flashlight...

P1TBU11

I've been with State Farm for over 5 yrs I know. I just got a renewal notice for the liability only ins on my 1996 Nissan pickup. It's basically tripled in the last 4-5 yrs. For 6 months it's $60 cheaper than the full coverage on my 12 JK. I called and asked why and my answer was "it went up". Quotes from other companies are less than half of what State Farm now wants. I'm fixing to tell them to kiss ass.

lulu2533

I have State Farm. I actually just had a conversation with my agent about all my added mods. She basically said take lots of pics and save receipts. We will see what happens if anything ever happens to my jeep bit so far they have been pretty cool with everything...

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Really? Based on what? What experience do you have? Please share your qualifications with us. Saying what I said is false is like telling a lawyer the law is wrong.

That was why I offered the OP to contact me because all policies are different. Reading and understanding the policy is key. I cannot comment further until I have more info, and then that is private information that should not be divulged over a public forum.

LOL! I know the extent of IrishJK's total loss experience and I believe him and have seen his proof.

Top Bottom