1. What kind of winch do u own?

Engo E9000

2. Pros/Cons?

Pros
Inexpensive...cheap
Read very good reviews about product

Cons
None so far

3. What kinda line do u use? Steel or Synthetic?

Steel

4. Ever had to use it?

Nope

David1tontj

I didn't know synthetic will just drop to the ground..... Think I may switch.... And I have been looking at arb on board air

I know this is over a year old, but I had to chime in. I love synthetic line, I've had it for about 11 years...I got it after I broke my steel cable, And I was always told the same thing, that it would fall to the ground..... Well- I broke it about 2.5 years ago and guess what?? It didn't fall to the ground! It shot back to the truck. Now I will say, it doesn't carry the energy of a steel line, so, when it did come back to the truck, it didn't hurt anything like a steel cable would have... Just ended up in a pile in front of my rig.

Basically, it IS safer because it doesn't carry the energy, but the whole dropping to the ground thing is a myth..

My ride- 2001 power wheel, 11" plastic tires, upgraded battery, boat sides, custom bumpers, tow hooks, new paint.

David1tontj

Ok I found this related to the rope installation on a drum that had wire rope previously. It was in the instructions for my synthetic rope install.

Note: When installing synthetic winch rope on a winch that has previously run wire rope, it is required that both the
winch drum and fairlead are closely inspected for any damage, nicks, or burrs that may damage the synthetic rope.
Using sandpaper, a scuffing pad, or equivalent, make sure drum and fairlead surfaces are free of any damage. It is
your responsibility to make sure the winch drum, fairlead and other items particular to your installation are free of
damage. We recommend a new aluminum hawse fairlead be used with your new synthetic rope.

And Overlander is correct as far as the fairlead. You need a hawse instead of the roller fairlead.

:thumb:

I know this is a year old, but I just read the whole thread, and had to put it out there for people- I've been running a roller fairlead with my winch rope for 11 years and it seems to work great.

When I swapped it from steel I didn't want to give up my roller because it just makes more sense to me to reduce friction on the rope... And rope was not popular back then so I didn't realize it would be so trendy to run the aluminum fairleads with rope.

Thought I'd throw it out there so people knew they don't "need" an aluminum fairlead.

My ride- 2001 power wheel, 11" plastic tires, upgraded battery, boat sides, custom bumpers, tow hooks, new paint.

M_Savage

Caught the Bug
hey guys. I know this thread is pretty old, but I just read through it and found some very useful information. I am looking into the market for a winch and am currently interested in the Warn Zeon 10-S or the Warn Power Plant. there is a fairly big price difference between the two. So my question is this: is the Powerplant worth the extra money for the winch and the air compressor, or should I save the money in price difference and get an ARB on board Air?
I am not looking at doing Air lockers for many years so I would just be using it to air up the tires. also it seems like a pain to have to open the hood to air up every time; however, if the ARB is better and saves me money by just doing the Warn Zeon then I guess I can get over having to open the hood to air up.

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
hey guys. I know this thread is pretty old, but I just read through it and found some very useful information. I am looking into the market for a winch and am currently interested in the Warn Zeon 10-S or the Warn Power Plant. there is a fairly big price difference between the two. So my question is this: is the Powerplant worth the extra money for the winch and the air compressor, or should I save the money in price difference and get an ARB on board Air?
I am not looking at doing Air lockers for many years so I would just be using it to air up the tires. also it seems like a pain to have to open the hood to air up every time; however, if the ARB is better and saves me money by just doing the Warn Zeon then I guess I can get over having to open the hood to air up.

I decided on the power plant. Actually came out cheaper. A quality warn like the zeon is around 1100 bucks, then I would have gotten the arb twin for another 500 bucks, add the mounting bracket for under the seat for another 100 bucks. Total was 1700. I got the power plant for 1650 with a free prolink.. warn also has rebates every now and then. Plus I don't have to open my hood.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I decided on the power plant. Actually came out cheaper. A quality warn like the zeon is around 1100 bucks, then I would have gotten the arb twin for another 500 bucks, add the mounting bracket for under the seat for another 100 bucks. Total was 1700. I got the power plant for 1650 with a free prolink.. warn also has rebates every now and then. Plus I don't have to open my hood.

Only down side is if you plan to run air lockers you have to invest in a compressor so you would be into it more. But I agree that the powerplant is a great option.

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
Only down side is if you plan to run air lockers you have to invest in a compressor so you would be into it more. But I agree that the powerplant is a great option.

true, i would throw a little arb under the hood. my plan is to run the factory ones until they die. money pit..

M_Savage

Caught the Bug

would you need the ARB Twin compressor or could the single be enough for four 35' tires? but it does makes sense to probably get the Power Plant since im not going to be running air lockers.

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
would you need the ARB Twin compressor or could the single be enough for four 35' tires? but it does makes sense to probably get the Power Plant since im not going to be running air lockers.

I used my single high output arb to fill my 33s and it took about seven minutes a tire to go from 12 - 40 psi (I was going to be traveling a long distance which is why I put so much air. Not sure if it helped with mgps.) Reviews ive read claim that the powerplant is faster than the twin arb. And after reading this thread I think that's what I'm going to get the powerplant and just wait for my rubicon lockers to fail.

2014 JKUR

Winch mounting

Being new, I've skimmed through this thread and did a search on mounting and I haven't found what I'm looking for.

So could anyone please clue me in on the requirements for mounting a winch to my factory bumper? (Working on a tight budget here so a new bumper isn't in the cards at this time.)

I'm following the advice I've read here by making my first upgrade recovery gear. Makes sense to me and I've been given the green light to get what I need by the boss (my lovely wife).

My budget will allow for the WARN VR10000 and assorted essential recovery gear as mentioned in Eddie's recovery gear thread.

The big question for me is: do I need a mount plate? I'm guessing yes but when I added my winch to my shopping cart there was no suggestion for required additional equipment (purchasing through Quadratec as they are local to me and offer free shipping). I also took a look at the mounting instructions and that left me still uncertain.

Any information/recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help!

-Dave

Siebermd

Installed my Merry Christmas to me present. Its a Superwinch Tiger Shark 9500. I am very happy with it. I swapped out the cable for synthetic that I had on my old winch. Did some driveway recovery by pulling my Honda Element up a slight incline. Very impressed with this winch and its price. I dont think there is a better deal out there.

photo 1.jpg
photo 2.jpg

Marauder

Installed my Merry Christmas to me present. Its a Superwinch Tiger Shark 9500. I am very happy with it. I swapped out the cable for synthetic that I had on my old winch. ]

Just an FYI, Superwinch highly recommends that you do not use synthetic line in that version of their winch as it was not designed for it and i may cause failure. They have all kinds of warnings about it.

mcflurry301

Just an FYI, Superwinch highly recommends that you do not use synthetic line in that version of their winch as it was not designed for it and i may cause failure. They have all kinds of warnings about it.

I have the same winch, and didn't see all the warnings when I bought it. If I would have known before I would have gone with something different to put synthetic line on. Other then that I have about 20 pulls and 2 of them being super tuff ones. Hasn't let me down yet. Just the sticker has come off!!

Marauder

I have the same winch, and didn't see all the warnings when I bought it. If I would have known before I would have gone with something different to put synthetic line on. Other then that I have about 20 pulls and 2 of them being super tuff ones. Hasn't let me down yet. Just the sticker has come off!!

You can read the instructions or go to their website and see the warnings. I am only passing on what I have read in an attempt to keep people safe.

Siebermd

Superwinch has made the change to placing the drum brake outside of the drum on other winches. This takes the heat from the brake away from the Line. This heat can damage synthetic line. If you are winching up the side of a mountain for long periods, you are risking this damage. Having this knowledge, and knowing to avoid overextending your pulls, and watching for heat build up is mandatory on all winches. Superwinch seems to be the only company saying this. There are several entry level winches on the market that come with synthetic line, and they arent saying anything. Safe operation and knowing your equipment goes a long way.

Siebermd

We use several Superwinch products at my workplace. We use them for hauling heavy boats on and off of trailers. They make a fantastic winch.

holy_crap

Superwinch sells this winch with synthetic rope as the 9500 SR , they have made the modifications necessary to the SR model to make it compatible with synthetic rope.

Last edited:

vince21

For those asking about milemarker. I bought a 9k milemarker hydraulic for my tj a few years back, and it's been on my jk for the last year and a bit.

Pros:
Physically small, for lbs rating.
Pulls like a train all day without over heating, great for long hard pulls.
Realible; I read milemarker was the winch of choice for US military vehicles.
High and low gear.
Very quite.
Waterproof; it has been submerged several times, and operated while completly submerged in water, and the lovely thick mud that you find everywhere around here.
Served me well on countless occasions.
Parts/accessories easily available.

Cons:
Install may be intimadating to some but is very straight forward.
Engine must be running to operate.
Some say risk of power steering pump damage, however I had no issues on my tj or jk with factory pumps.
May experience pump noise if lines have too sharpe of turns.
Slow line speed compared to a good electric winch, however no change in speed under load.
Stiff controller cable in recent -30 weather gave me grief on one occasion. Lead to a loose connection, so took some wiggling to get it working.

I am currently running a steal line, it's in good shape so I will hold off on switching to synthetic as much as I would like to.

Last edited:

holliewood61

Warn 8274

Pros: line speed, pulls much more than the rated 8k, external brake so no heat issues with synthetic line, will hold around 130 ft of 3/8" line, and durable. Mine is 36 yrs old.

Cons: weight and size. Foot forward mounting limits mounting options

Synthetic or steel: synthetic. It offsets some of the weight of the winch and is safer.

Have you used it: more times than I could count

Plus its the only winch that looks at home on a cj.

Last edited:
Top Bottom