TeraFlex Hinged Tire Carrier Break

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Wait, are those the round ARB led's? How much from China direct?

:cheesy: Well, being that they're like $700 a piece here in the U.S., they probably cost about $7 a piece but, you have to order 7,000 of them :crazyeyes:

LeighP

Those are a Chinese copy of the ARB light......we get them here in Aust, supposedly not a bad light and pretty good value for money.
They are, apparently, not produced by the manufacturers of the ARB Intensity light.....which are supposed to be made in the USA, but who knows for sure?
I'm sure there is someone, some place, that wants to pay $700 per light for the ARB originals....I just don't know anyone that does.
Lightforce is now also making a very similar light to compete in this style, as well.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Those are a Chinese copy of the ARB light......we get them here in Aust, supposedly not a bad light and pretty good value for money.
They are, apparently, not produced by the manufacturers of the ARB Intensity light.....which are supposed to be made in the USA, but who knows for sure?
I'm sure there is someone, some place, that wants to pay $700 per light for the ARB originals....I just don't know anyone that does.
Lightforce is now also making a very similar light to compete in this style, as well.

Negative. ARB lights are made by Rigid Industries. Rigid industries assembles their lights in the USA, but all their components come from China (I've seen the shipping manifests.) Im also fairly certain, based on what I have seen, that Rigid's circuitboards are manufactured either by Aurora or by Hanma. The Aurora 7" lights are far more powerful and a LOT less expensive.

Last edited:

Ziloh22

Not familiar with Yunliang and I can't read Chinese but, here it is on their website too.

View attachment 111835

Eddie. Isn't it sad ? I work for an electronics company and deal with our manufacturers day to day and travel there to deal with production etc. don't even want to talk about what I've seen... I know a lot of people mentioning rigid etc. it's sad how many companies are knocked off, and not to mention how many companies jump on these low end manufacturers out there.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Eddie. Isn't it sad ? I work for an electronics company and deal with our manufacturers day to day and travel there to deal with production etc. don't even want to talk about what I've seen... I know a lot of people mentioning rigid etc. it's sad how many companies are knocked off, and not to mention how many companies jump on these low end manufacturers out there.

There is a flipside to this argument, economically speaking......Rigid was hardly the first offroad light maker, they were just the first to mass market in the USA.
Some might argue that taking an inexpensive product (ie all lightbars basically) bringing it here to the USA, assembling it, and reselling it for a 400% profit is kind of unscrupulous. Rigid doesn't make anything in their lights. Not the housings, not the screws, not the PCBs, not the LEDs, not the Lexan, not the gaskets, and not the wires. They simply glue it all together. Companies that manufacture rigid parts also make their own LED bars, and some are actually superior. The PCBs are made in china, as are the gaskets, the screws, the housings, the wiring, and the harnesses. The LEDs and Lexan are made in Taiwan. If someone made a light that said rigid industries on them, then you can call them a knockoff...competing products are hardly knockoffs.

Oh, and before you say it, for the record, I own both Rigid lights, and Aurora lights, and have actually dealt with both of them customer service wise, so my opinions are not internet rumors or things I've read.

Ziloh22

There is a flipside to this argument, economically speaking......Rigid was hardly the first offroad light maker, they were just the first to mass market in the USA.
Some might argue that taking an inexpensive product (ie all lightbars basically) bringing it here to the USA, assembling it, and reselling it for a 400% profit is kind of unscrupulous. Rigid doesn't make anything in their lights. Not the housings, not the screws, not the PCBs, not the LEDs, not the Lexan, not the gaskets, and not the wires. They simply glue it all together. Companies that manufacture rigid parts also make their own LED bars, and some are actually superior. The PCBs are made in china, as are the gaskets, the screws, the housings, the wiring, and the harnesses. The LEDs and Lexan are made in Taiwan. If someone made a light that said rigid industries on them, then you can call them a knockoff...competing products are hardly knockoffs.

Oh, and before you say it, for the record, I own both Rigid lights, and Aurora lights, and have actually dealt with both of them customer service wise, so my opinions are not internet rumors or things I've read.

Do not disagree one bit. I have always owned and still do own rigid D2s and I also own a handful of pods and light bars from factories that I have personally dealt with through work. And technically speaking "public" open molds like most lighting would not really be considered a knock off. But ARB bumpers, carriers and such are 100% knocked off by the factory that I previously mentioned, guess there was a little misunderstanding of my " knockoff " comment.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Do not disagree one bit. I have always owned and still do own rigid D2s and I also own a handful of pods and light bars from factories that I have personally dealt with through work. And technically speaking "public" open molds like most lighting would not really be considered a knock off. But ARB bumpers, carriers and such are 100% knocked off by the factory that I previously mentioned, guess there was a little misunderstanding of my " knockoff " comment.

To be honest, the only thing "knocked off" would be the design, as steel is steel, and I agree, unlike LED bars, bumpers do have their own lines and asthetics so they indeed can be knocked off. One funny thing I came across a while back...my front bumper is Rampage...I love it, built like a tank with some of the best powdercoating of any part I have ever bought but it is made in China....however, there are ebay fakes of this bumper....which I found funny....China ripping off China. :D

IMHO, there are sensitive items, and non sensitive items. I didn't want a bargain basement made in China rear carrier....Im terrified of a sh!t carrier dropping a tire on the highway, I end up killing a family of 5, and lose everything...I have a wife, 2 kids, etc.....it's not worth it to me, so I wanted something that I wouldn't have to worry about. Some parts, like sill armor (not sliders) don't matter. For the consumer, cost of diminishing return is a factor. I will pay for a premium part only if it's truly worth it. If it's priced 5x the price for no apparent reason, then I may look elsewhere.

I do agree with you about the "after hours" manufacturing. I just read this today...check it...
http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2014/11/23/counterfeit-tires-pose-consumer-risk/

MTG

Caught the Bug
Wanted to bump this thread as I saw a spare tire bouncing down the highway yesterday. :eek:

noroad

hahaha so i posted a pic of a broken carrier on there web page where people are showing it off and they just delete the pic!

Voodoo Actual

hahaha so i posted a pic of a broken carrier on there web page where people are showing it off and they just delete the pic!

TeraFlex put out a video showing how to properly adjust their carrier. Maybe the failures are from improperly adjusted carriers. Maybe not.

I do know that my welds failed:
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1427585715.106389.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1427585734.915311.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1427585755.245523.jpg

What are people doing about this? Replacing their gate?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
TeraFlex put out a video showing how to properly adjust their carrier. Maybe the failures are from improperly adjusted carriers. Maybe not.

I do know that my welds failed:

What are people doing about this? Replacing their gate?

As Dennis himself said, IF the their tire carrier breaks, it had to of happen because YOU didn't install it right. If you're okay with being blamed for their substandard $700 product that's supposed to be better than stock breaking, just be sure to keep an eye on it. Of course, it's not as if they haven't installed their own products on their own Jeep and have them fail. :rolleyes2:

As far as what people are doing about this goes, they are installing REAL tire carriers that take the spare OFF the tailgate like they should. EVEN IF the TeraFlex tire carrier were made of kryptonite and would never break, you WILL still destroy your tailgate if you catch your spare on a ledge. The whole thing is a terrible idea and one that so many suckers are buying into.

Top Bottom