BY PERMIT ONLY : Devil's Canyon Trail Run 2013

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
NOTICE: THIS TRAIL IS ILLEGAL TO RUN WITHOUT A PERMIT

Years ago, I had heard of a short but badass trail down by the Mexican border called Devil's Canyon that used to be a part of the original stage route that connected San Diego to Yuma. From what I had read, it was established back in the mid 1800's, improved upon in the early 1900's to help accommodate the first automobiles but, was soon abandoned after the completion of U.S. Highway 80. This trail did see some use again during the construction of Interstate 8 back in the 1960's but a major storm in the 1970's would all but erase it from history.

From what I have gathered, back around 2006, a few guys decided to look into this old route to see if it could be run and, before you knew it, Devil's Canyon was quickly becoming a hot trail in the San Diego area that everyone wanted to run including me. Unfortunately, this renewed interest in this trail and increase in traffic ultimately lead to its closure just 6 months later. Since then, I had all but forgotten about this trail but when I started getting word that people were running it again and legally, I decided I needed to look into it. After doing some research, I found that the BLM was in fact allowing limited access to Devil's Canyon BUT, by permit only. And, after going through the arduous process of trying to obtain one myself, I can tell you that it might as well still be consider CLOSED!

Seriously, the whole thing is a joke. Not only do you have to apply for a permit 180 days in advance, you are only allowed to run the trail on one of seven Saturday's between October 1st and April 30th and it cannot be on a Saturday following a previous run. In addition to that, you are limited in the amount of vehicles that can participate in your run, required to pay $100 just to apply for the permit, need to fill out a 27 page application that includes plans for medical emergencies and evacuation routes and if that weren't enough, required to provide liability insurance for $500,000 per occurrence/$1,000,000 aggregate! Even if you are willing to jump through all the hoops, that last part is the kicker. Pretty much every insurance company I called told me the same thing - the BLM doesn't want you on that trail!

So you know, I first started to look into running this trail back in September of 2012 but wasn't able to get an approved Saturday to run it until April 27, 2013. Of course, there was the matter of insurance and up until Thursday, April 25th, I wasn't sure it was going to happen. If it weren't for Off Road Evolution stepping in and helping us out with insurance, none of this would have been possible - THANK YOU OFF ROAD EVOLUTION!!

With that, here are a few pics from our epic Devil's Canyon run. As you will see, we decided to make things more interesting and run it from east to west or, from bottom to top. If there was any doubt, it really is a challenging trail and made more for a short wheel base 2-door. While everyone in our group was running a long wheel base Jeep JK Wrangler Unlimited, everyone was at least on 37" tires or bigger and most were running EVO MFG coil overs. I hope you enjoy.

Here are a couple of pics I found online of what Devil's Canyon used to look like...
2-81_9855-Mountain-Springs-Grade.jpg

4-91_18564-948-Devils-Canyon-1911-1915.jpg

After 7 months, a lot of work, a lot of money and the help of Off Road Evolution, we have the golden ticket in hand...
main.php

A day before our big run, we headed out to the trailhead with Moochie to do some reconnaissance on foot...
main.php

main.php

If you haven't been out in this area in a while, a ton of HUGE windmills have been erected out here...
main.php

Hooking up with the WAYALIFE crew the night before - CHEERS!!
main.php

Bright and early on trail run day - time to strip down...
main.php

main.php

On our way out to the trail, we made a stop along a concrete section of Old U.S. Highway 80 to air down...
main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

10:00 am and it's already over 90°F - Time to rock-n-roll!!
main.php

So excited to run this trail I totally spaced out and ran the whole first obstacle connected - Duh!
main.php

Trail Bud tried to kick things off taking a harder line through the first obstacle. Unfortunately, the sand on either side of the boulder left him high centered and in need of a tug off...
main.php

Tony to the rescue...
main.php

On a better line and flexing his way through...
main.php

Stephanie doing a great job of working the rocks...
main.php

Tony saying, "oh yeah, that's my girl"...
main.php

Et heading on in...
main.php

Moochie taking some time to stretch before things get going...
main.php

Don getting it on...
main.php

Ray having some fun...
main.php

Derek giving a wave as he made his way up the end of the obstacle...
main.php

Working our way up the canyon...
main.php

Of course, not even a 100 feet up and we were back into the rocks...
main.php

main.php

main.php

Nah, we aren't having a good time...
main.php

main.php

Et kicking things up a notch...
main.php

Moochie taking his time...
main.php

Don giving us a wave...
main.php

Derek calling this one a high five...
main.php

Time to load-em up and move on out...
main.php

Moving on up the canyon...
main.php

main.php

main.php

Lacking power steering, I feel off my line, got a bit high centered and needed a bit of help off...
main.php

Take 2...
main.php

Trail Bud decided to take the opposite line but got hung up too...
main.php

After getting pulled off, he was back on track and flexing his way through...
main.php

Stephanie making her way through...
main.php

Et following closely behind...
main.php

Moochie working his way up...
main.php

Followed by Don...
main.php

and Ray...
main.php

and Derek...
main.php

Working our way toward Devil's Canyon Bridge #2...
main.php

What do you know, more big rocks up ahead...
main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

More pics below...

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Devil's Canyon Bridge #2...
main.php

Time for some lunch under the cool shade of the bridge...
main.php

Dave using the opportunity to review some of the pics he's been taking...
main.php

Unfortunately, our camera battery died and so we missed a few photo op after lunch but, was able to snap a few with our iPhones and eventually got enough of a charge to start up again here. Hopefully Dave, Tony and others will have grabbed a few to fill in the blanks from here.

On the move again...
main.php

Scoping out the next obstacle ahead...
main.php

Past the half way point, the obstacles started to get bigger and more challenging. But, at least we now had shade...
main.php

With my power steering toast, I was forced to pick lines I would have rather not taken just so that I could get setup for the next set of rocks...
main.php

Time to break out the winch...
main.php

With 40" tires and EVO coil overs and steering, Trail Bud just wiggled his way up...
main.php

Tony taking the wheel and working his way up...
main.php

Unfortunately, I don't have any photos of it but, here's Moochie negotiating a tough section near the top of this obstacle where Tony had just taken on a bit of body damage...
main.php

Don carefully working his way past the point where Tony had hit the door sill of his Jeep...
main.php

Ray crawling his way up...
main.php

Derek almost to the top...
main.php

Checking out the trail ahead...
main.php

Looking back...
main.php

Working our way up to Devil's Canyon Bridge #1...
main.php

main.php

Looking up at Devil's Canyon Bridge #1 at sundown..
main.php

Thanks to a broken front axle shaft on Don's Jeep and a torn off break line on Ray's rig, things slowed up a bit on the last and hardest rock garden that climbs out of the canyon...
main.php

After snapping one winch line getting Don up onto level ground, it was time to get him fixed up...
main.php

Finishing up the trail under the cover of darkness...
main.php

More pics can be found here:

BY PERMIT ONLY : Devil's Canyon Trail Run 2013 Photo Gallery

Again, I am sorry for not having more pics from this epic trip. There were a lot of other cameras out there and I do hope others will post up their pics to help fill in the blanks and give us different perspectives of the day as well. A REALLY BIG THANKS needs to go out to Moochie for helping us out by taking most of the pics you see here on this thread. Without him, there we would of had next to nothing to post up. Of course, we did do a lot of filming and will be sure to make a video for everyone to see as soon as we can.

I hope you enjoyed our trip up Devil's Canyon. :cool:

10frank9

Web Wheeler
Wow. Looks like one hell of a trail run with lots of challenging obstacles and fun. Thanks for sharing and as always. See you soon. :thumb:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Looks like a ton of fun! Bummed I couldn't make it out there with your guys.

It was a long ass day but a ton of fun. Wish you could have been there.

What happened to your steering?

We've tried installing a PSC ram on our 2012 JK without a new pump or reservoir. Needless to say, it's never worked and ultimately fried our factory pump about 2 months ago. I just haven't had the time to do anything about it but couldn't pass up this one in a lifetime run. Needless to say, we went into this broken and it was hell to do.

JAGS

Hooked
What an awesome trip and congrats for all of you that had the chance to run Devil's Canyon. :thumb: Great pics as always (Cindy and Eddie) and if you hadn't pointed it out, we wouldn't know we missed anything. I can only hope at some point in time that my rig and it's driver will be capable of doing such a trail in the future.

LoPo

Caught the Bug
We've tried installing a PSC ram on our 2012 JK without a new pump or reservoir. Needless to say, it's never worked and ultimately fried our factory pump about 2 months ago. I just haven't had the time to do anything about it but couldn't pass up this one in a lifetime run. Needless to say, we went into this broken and it was hell to do.

oh man! That had to of been rough on the 'ole arms! Nicely done though! :clap2:

mcpuck

Caught the Bug
oh man! That had to of been rough on the 'ole arms! Nicely done though! :clap2:

Yea, after a couple months wheeling with no power steering I wouldn’t want to arm wrestle Eddie that’s for sure! :cheesy:

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Yea, after a couple months wheeling with no power steering I wouldn’t want to arm wrestle Eddie that’s for sure! :cheesy:

:cheesy: I can only imagine the pain he must have been in on this trail. Panamint valley was hard enough.

MTG

Caught the Bug
Great trip report! :rock:

Knowing the hoops you had to jump through for the permit, I regret not making the drive down even more. :grayno:

Dr.McNinja

Maybe the combination of you guys doing such a good job as stewards of the trail, combined with documenting how big of a pain it is to get a permit, will convince somebody in Ca that they can make a little money off of this by making the fee less and the paperwork easier.

Great run guys.

Top Bottom