Cobra 29 CB Radio Jeep JK Wrangler Installation Write-Up

jyazz06

coaxle cable on tail gate

will the rubber bushing on the tailgate leak of water in tale gate cause it is sticking on the side of bushing/

BlackKnight

Has anyone ever removed the dual DIN OEM head unit, and installed a CB and single DIN in it's place?? I'd think that would be a nice setup also...

Skirmish

Has anyone ever removed the dual DIN OEM head unit, and installed a CB and single DIN in it's place?? I'd think that would be a nice setup also...

I did with a Uniden 520. The bracket inside the dash makes it a pain to fit but its doable. Built the bracket out of thin gauge mild steel. Real pain to fit perfect.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1369156255.263799.jpg

BlackKnight

I did with a Uniden 520. The bracket inside the dash makes it a pain to fit but its doable. Built the bracket out of thin gauge mild steel. Real pain to fit perfect.

Nice to know it's been done/doable.. Hope to do something like that if I don't get the Nav, Else I'll look to tuck the CB above, in the armrest or under the seat to be out of direct sight. Less chance of a snatch and grab thief...

MurderedJK

Just installed mine today and I love it. Eddie, you're right...this is really the best sounding and working CB radio I've owned. I replaced my Cobra 75 which was good but really lacking in a lot of areas. The 29 LTD BT is totally worth the money! :thumb:

BTkillerr

I am actually ordering the 29 next week. A couple of questions:
1.Any suggestions on antennas? My brother has had firesticks but now he has a whip antenna ande loves it, just don't stand next to the trail when he rolls by...crazy!!
2. Do the antennas come with the coax and if not what coax is best?

Thx,

BTKillerr

Serg5000

I was looking around and found this thread. Installing a CB is a no brainer. However.
After reading the write up, I must say you have made it so that even the most Un-mechanically inclined can actually just buy a CB and install it. The detail of what to do. Where to do it. A d how to route the cable even. The details you took time to write will be priceless for those in need of some help with this install. Great job on this write up Eddie. It is sure to help lots of folks struggling with this task.

Ldogg

I am actually ordering the 29 next week. A couple of questions:
1.Any suggestions on antennas? My brother has had firesticks but now he has a whip antenna ande loves it, just don't stand next to the trail when he rolls by...crazy!!
2. Do the antennas come with the coax and if not what coax is best?

Thx,

BTKillerr

I have a 4' firestik firefly and love it. It's tailgate mounted and sticks up about 14" over my roof. The antenna did not include the coax or the stud. I used a firestik fire ring 18' coax on my 2door jk. The fire ring has a nice solid connector for the stud to mount on. Here you can see the ring at the bottoms of the mount, and the stud below the antenna.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1373763701.594441.jpg

BTkillerr

I have a 4' firestik firefly and love it. It's tailgate mounted and sticks up about 14" over my roof. The antenna did not include the coax or the stud. I used a firestik fire ring 18' coax on my 2door jk. The fire ring has a nice solid connector for the stud to mount on. Here you can see the ring at the bottoms of the mount, and the stud below the antenna.

View attachment 39820

With the 18' coax how did you handle the extra? Coil it? Cut it? I have read not to bend or kink it just trying to get set up so I don't have to stop and start the project too many times.

Thx

Ldogg

I ran it from that plug and down under the carpet, I had about 2' or so left and I just loosely coiled it under the glovebox. You need to be careful with it though. I had an issue with the first cable I had, I cut it on the tailgate hole after I ran it. I accidentally pulled it a bit and the edge of the hole cut a gash in the jacket and shorted the cable. The second time I ran it, I drilled a bigger hole in the rubber grommet and I was much more careful on the second one. You need a pretty good size hole in the grommet to fit the mini UHF connector on the cb end of the fire ring cable. Check out right channel radios for cables and antennas.

Hawaii 5-0

Any issues with running the power wire directly to the battery?

I see that Q tec offers a wiring harness to splice into the power outlet on the lower dash so it is ignition switched. Do I need to worry about screwing up the computer by direct wiring to the battery?

sean.m.adams33

I cannot get my cobra 29lx to tune! I've got it set to cal and on channel 1,20, and 40 I cannot get it within range. Running a 3' firestick which isn't supposed to need to be grounded. The antenna is all the way down. What am I doing wrong? Is it because the antennae isn't ground?
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1378832360.792091.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1378832375.505127.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1378832388.700103.jpg

TheDuff

The antenna itself doesn't need a ground, but the bracket its mounted to does. Run a ground wire to one of the bracket's mounting bolts to the frame (I ran mine to the bolt of one of the cheesy tie down things in the trunk)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using WAYALIFE mobile app

sean.m.adams33

I've tried tuning on 20 *edit: still no luck on any channel*. I installed it to my corner guards so I assumed that they were grounded somewhere. I just got back from ham radio outlet and we canceled out the coax. As I was screwing the antenna on and off the mounting stud the SWR was jumping all over the place.

sean.m.adams33

if you have the tunable tip Firestick that might be your issue as well. make sure that you adjust the tip. here is a link the JKmadness gave me for when i was tuning mine. it might be a little different since you have the SWR built in but it might be along the same lines of what you need to do.

http://www.rightchannelradios.com/tuning-cb-antenna-adjusting-swr

Thanks. The antenna is where it needs to be. It's at some point between the stud and the antenna. Gonna keep troubleshooting.

Ldogg

Did your coax have a nylon insert where the stud connects? I seen the nylon ring on top in your pic, if it has a lip it needs to face the mount plate. If there is another insert like used in the fire ring the lip there also needs to face the mounting plate

Top Bottom