Crash on Black Bear

Road_king

By the looks of the trail, it was wet. Been a crazy year for rain, but never the less, no way should you attempt BB in the rain. Get off that mountain by 1:00 pm.

Here is the story by Denver News 7, looks like no one was hurt.
http://denver.cbslocal.com/2014/09/01/none-injured-in-rollover-on-mountain-pass/

View attachment 98220

You are going to experience rain on every trail in the San Juan's - unless there is flash flood warnings there is not a problem. Black Bear included - the traction is good rain or shine. An easy trail that commands your COMPLETE attention!

Until a few years ago the the Telluride Rotary club had a tour that included up Black Bear backwards - over to Poughkeepsie - then back down Black Bear for the incredible BBQ. The first time we did that run it rained like hell on the way back!

They still have that permit and just BB Backwards was run two days this summer - really fun and a bit interesting going up from Telluride in the rain!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

2RedRigs

You are going to experience rain on every trail in the San Juan's - unless there is flash flood warnings there is not a problem. Black Bear included - the traction is good rain or shine. An easy trail that commands your COMPLETE attention!

Until a few years ago the the Telluride Rotary club had a tour that included up Black Bear backwards - over to Poughkeepsie - then back down Black Bear for the incredible BBQ. The first time we did that run it rained like hell on the way back!

They still have that permit and just BB Backwards was run two days this summer - really fun and a bit interesting going up from Telluride in the rain!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Last year we waited for hours for a bulldozer to come up to clear the trail of boulders. I got tired of waiting and headed back. Glad I did sounds like a couple of them went into the wall because things were so slick from the rain the night before and the mud left over from the bulldozer stirring stuff up. This is a pic of how far I made it that day before I turned around. About 30-40 vehicles waiting to make it down.
20130730_115813.jpg

pvanweelden

Jordan Blase just posted these pics from today to Crawlorado Jeepers FB.
I can't believe it is still sitting there.
1409704939174.jpg
1409704973018.jpg

Sent from my SM-N900V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
So happy everyone is OK. Phew! If you've been on the pass you know if you go over the side you may stop rolling when you reach Telluride. It is one scary shelf road. I've posted this shot before. This may have been taken in the early 1970's before the pass was maintained. Black Bear today is not a huge 4 wheeling challenge but it is treacherous as hell if you're not attentive or it is wet. My pucker meter is almost always pegged when I'm on it. The last time I did it was in a SWB GMC PKUP. Haven't been back in my JK and may not.:yup:
blackbear.jpg

Tree Frog

Anybody wanna bet there is a big wrinkle in the driver seat?

Thanks for the update pics. It really does not look too bad from that view. The one the LE officer posted looked to be a really bad place.

Just gorgeous scenery, logged down on Bucket List.

There is never a " good place" for this to happen but from what I've seen, this looks like it could have been worse if it was somewhere else on this trail.

Oregonjeeper

Its an amazing trail with great views.. You spend a few weeks there running all the trails around there... :thumb:.. Its a jeep must do trail for sure :beer:

pvanweelden

yeah ^ my first thought was that he was hugging the inside too much, but if you listen at the end- the driver says "we slide right off" which to me means he wasn't paying enough attention to where he was going...

Oregonjeeper

My buddy lives up there and what he said was the guy was going to high on the hill(was Scared of the edge) and rolled ....:grayno:

pvanweelden

yeah, i'm not huge fan of being that close to the edge on shelf roads, but i would rather remain as level as possible than to be off camber leaning into the edge. He stopped briefly before it, but then continued going higher up the hillside, which i why i figured he didn't realize he was going higher up it (distracted).

Top Bottom