Detailing your jeep

Primo82

Caught the Bug
You can use a machine to apply wax but you should really clay before that. You risk adding swirls if you don’t clay prior

Ok, just trying to reduce the swirling motion I gotta make when cleaning the exterior. Sounds like one of those buffers will help, but not with the aspect I had initially thought.

None of it was bad in and of itself, but the repetitive scrubbing motion 7 times (Scrubbing with soap, shammying, clay barring, wiping off detail solution, applying wax X 2, then removing wax) was a pain in the ass and I had muscle and joint aches after...

jesse3638

Hooked
Sounds like you're putting in the right amount of elbow grease.

I was using the circular motions for years however its recommended to go back and forth in straight lines, especially with a clay bar. This reduces swirl marks.

Sent from my SM-G973U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Primo82

Caught the Bug
Sounds like you're putting in the right amount of elbow grease.

I was using the circular motions for years however its recommended to go back and forth in straight lines, especially with a clay bar. This reduces swirl marks.

Sent from my SM-G973U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Good to hear, paper pushing obviously doesn't work these muscles! Jeep looked great for about 17 hours then it rained.

I did actually go back to forth with the claybar, was going to say 'swirling and jack-off motions' but thought that was digging in the weeds a bit to far. Cheers!

bigcale

Caught the Bug
What do you guys use to clean the soft top cloth and the windows? I tried the stuff for convertible tops from 303 and was not overly impressed.

WJCO

Meme King
What do you guys use to clean the soft top cloth and the windows? I tried the stuff for convertible tops from 303 and was not overly impressed.

Windows, just water and a clean microfiber cloth, maybe a mild soap if they're really dirty.

We tried a ton of stuff over the years for the fabric and something that we found recently actually works. Nonsense from Chemical Guys (dilute it with water like 10:1), spray it on the top and use a detailing brush and brush horizontally and vertically. Then spray it off with water and dry it. Then use VRP from Chemical guys and rub it in with a cloth or brush (both directions again). So far that seems to work better than anything we've tried (including Bestop's own chemicals).

I just took this picture right now and we did the cleaning about 2 months ago (as you can see, us short people didn't reach the very top).

DSC07638.jpg

DSC07642.jpg

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Posted in the boat thread but figured I would post here as well.

Spent 9 hours the other day getting the boat ready. Used the torq 10fx with an orange pad to first compound it. Used 4 orange pads total due to how bad the oxidation was
Adjustments.jpg
Adjustments.jpg

Then for the polish/sealant I used the black pad to spread it and let it sit for about 10 mins. Used a green microfiber to buff it off.
Adjustments.jpg

Applied some butter wet wax the next morning to finish it off.

Andy5160

Hooked

Spent 9 hours the other day getting the boat ready. Used the torq 10fx with an orange pad to first compound it. Used 4 orange pads total due to how bad the oxidation was
View attachment 345667
View attachment 345668

Then for the polish/sealant I used the black pad to spread it and let it sit for about 10 mins. Used a green microfiber to buff it off.
View attachment 345669

Nice

Did you get Nick to help?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

dcbjk

Caught the Bug

View attachment 345667
View attachment 345668

View attachment 345669

Bro that looks sick CGs never fails to impress

Clutch

Caught the Bug
Which clay bar are you guys using from Chemical Guys? They have 3 different ones. My Jeep is a black 2013 that has never been clayed, not sure if I should use the black/heavy or something else.

WJCO

Meme King
Which clay bar are you guys using from Chemical Guys? They have 3 different ones. My Jeep is a black 2013 that has never been clayed, not sure if I should use the black/heavy or something else.

Short video:

Long video:

Chemical Guys. lol

Kills me that I supported them the last few years by buying so much product. Last week they blocked me on social media because I commented on their hand sanitizer post on Instagram. 🤣

Top Bottom