Do those Monster Masher tires and 12,000lb. winch get you to the supermarket for Wonderbread?

jeeeep

Hooked
must be a painful life to have things only because they serve a purpose.

but with that logic, every Jeep I've owned has served a purpose - gives me fun, pisses off tree huggers and I love the looks I get from the Prius types and kids that think it's awesome looking. but most important it's what I want.

I've had several tell me I'm polluting the earth while I was idling, responded with I guess I'm not doing a good enough job cause you're still here flapping your lips like you matter and I care :cheesy:

:cheesy: :cheesy::cheesy:Thanks for caring enough to know where I live to look up wonderful 'ol Darlington! I'm flattered!

Why a Jeep? Once you've been here for awhile and get to know the personalities of the guys here, you'll see that pretty much most of the people here share a passion of the outdoors and getting out into them as much as possible. Our Jeeps are gateway vehicles to do that. Do we all need 12,000lb winches (mines 10,000 BTW ;)) and 'Monster Masher' tires? Nope. But having a built rig allows you to do more challenging things and go to places you normally wouldn't.

*Sigh* I'll indulge you here without any malice and explain why for me personally (and this is one of the reasons we all give 'waves' when we join up). I've worked my ass off for 30 years raising kids and getting my family business to the point where I could do all of this. Like many others out there, I couldn't afford any of this shit up until my kids got out on their own and got jobs, etc, etc. I've always had decent cars and even a truck or two that I modded what little I could afford to do but still have money to do all the stuff that kids do these days: Horse riding lessons, basketball, lacrosse, volleyball, and on and on. But I ALWAYS wanted "MY JEEP" and rather impatiently waited for the right time. Almost 3 years ago was finally time. So here I am.

You're right, unlike the guys out West most of us in the East aren't blessed with the ability to go to the end of the road and be in the wilderness in 10 minutes. But we do have a ton of opportunities to get out in the woods, we just have to work harder to find them. We have several offroad parks, and there are many many forest roads and some gnarly trails within a 2 hour drive from Darlington. I also built my rig so that I could go pretty much anywhere I wanted and have the ability to drive back home again. Been to Moab this year, several trips to our "mountains", Rausch Creek twice, and the couple miles of trails shared with my neighbor behind my house anytime I choose to. Besides one bent axle flange and a leaking thermostat housing I've had zero issues.

So there you have it. Do I drive it to the store? Yep. Do I sometimes drive it making sales calls in the Summer with the top off? You bet your ass! Do I go to get wonder bread with it? Sometimes. But I NEVER, EVER, use it to go get canadian bacon. I get the good stuff at a local butcher shop. ;)

I don't really know what your intentions were here. If it was to poke at a couple guys or just asking a general question? If the former, no biggie. If the latter, then I question why you are even here. This community is here because we all share several overlapping passions.And honestly, its no ones business why or how we choose to build our rigs or spend our money.

LOL. I didn't see this until now...he definitely called out Darlington. Nice response :thumb:. And totally agree I'm not wasting any of my precious MPG's on Canadian Bacon either.

ob_tj

Just curious as to 'why' someone would outfit any 4x4 vehicle when they aren't living in an area where it's essentially needed.
In the coastal logging industry, a 4x4 truck is a necessity ..... guess we're lucky here with the thousands of miles of logging road, and the wildlife, hunting, etc. just outside the door.
Didn't know that the eastern folks have 'parks' and designated trails to 4wheel drive in ..... do you have to pay/make appointments for these parks ?
As to the many folks that chose to respond, thank you ..... it's been a learning experience.
You may want to 'Google' British Columbia .... anywhere. We have a lot of 'playground' here ......
Will be looking for elk tomorrow .....
I live in town but still have some of the best trails near my house... the Rubicon, Fordyce, slick rock and niagara rim. Like I said earlier in this tread it's not about where someone lives. If getting out and wheeling is something that you like it doesn't matter where you live.

Ddays

Hooked
Just curious as to 'why' someone would outfit any 4x4 vehicle when they aren't living in an area where it's essentially needed.
In the coastal logging industry, a 4x4 truck is a necessity ..... guess we're lucky here with the thousands of miles of logging road, and the wildlife, hunting, etc. just outside the door.
Didn't know that the eastern folks have 'parks' and designated trails to 4wheel drive in ..... do you have to pay/make appointments for these parks ?
As to the many folks that chose to respond, thank you ..... it's been a learning experience.
You may want to 'Google' British Columbia .... anywhere. We have a lot of 'playground' here ......

:cheesy: And people make fun of Amercians for being self-centered! Are you really that dense as to what the rest of our country looks like or are you really just 16 and never been out of the 51st state? Either way have fun looking for Elk. Are they found on Google too? :idontknow:

srosario

Why a Jeep ?

i am one of the few here that built a mall crawler, and havent ever been offroad. its been 2 years owning jk. 1st year a 2wd and 2nd year to now a rubicon, and besides rains, its never been dirty.
AND I LOVE IT, love the comunity and fact that i have a choice to go where others cant.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

WJCO

Meme King
Are you really that dense as to what the rest of our country looks like or are you really just 16 and never been out of the 51st state? Either way have fun looking for Elk. Are they found on Google too? :idontknow:

I know, right ?!

He brings up a good point. I live in a big city right smack in the middle of the USA here in the Denver area. Guess I should have reconsidered and purchased a Prius. I mean, here are some pictures of what we run into in the city on a daily basis.

Here's the local Starbucks:

32580818855_04891fb6df_k.jpg

And here's a puddle at HomeDepot that I probably should have tried to avoid:

c2.jpg

What do you know? A fucking elk right here at Dairy Queen:

DSC04022.jpg

Local Bed Bath and Beyond:

32427896032_fb1def4288_k.jpg

Stop and Go Traffic on the way to work:

32201844380_06b46998fd_k.jpg

Here at Hobby Lobby, I almost didn't see the pedestrian:

IMG_20160813_103826826.jpg

Got a little close to the sidewalk at McDonalds:

32427852962_ec92d672ae_k.jpg

I may reconsider my decisions, solely based on this thread now.

Last edited:

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass

You also have a lot of fuck sticks. You being one of them.

Rocksalt

I know, right ?!

He brings up a good point. I live in a big city right smack in the middle of the USA here in the Denver area. Guess I should have reconsidered and purchased a Prius. I mean, here are some pictures of what we run into in the city on a daily basis.

View attachment 241849

View attachment 241850

View attachment 241851

View attachment 241852

View attachment 241853

View attachment 241854

View attachment 241855

LOL!

love2wheel

To the original poster, you cut trees down. Do you plant new ones? Considering how we all feel about the outdoors, and the fact that you partake in destroying it, has anyone here ever criticized you because of your occupation? I am no tree hugger by any means, but for you to start a thread like this is beyond ignorant. This world already focuses on all the negative. Finds any and all ways to create divide among us. And it's successful because ignorant, uneducated hypocrites are unable to think for themselves. This place and other places like this actually bring people together. As I'm sure you are starting to figure out by now. And if not you're welcome to disappear. People who focus on shit that creates divide are not welcome here. No matter how big or small the subject matter.

Sent from my LGL31L using WAYALIFE mobile app

jkris

I know, right ?!

View attachment 241849

View attachment 241850

View attachment 241851

View attachment 241852

View attachment 241853

View attachment 241854

View attachment 241855

By far probably the best response yet....

black pearl

Hooked
Why a Jeep ?

I have to agree with most everything said here why a jeep? Why not? I have one so I can get my family deep into nature where most vehicles can't go IMG_3742.JPG
IMG_4600.JPG
And on our way home we can do some curb crawling at a local store
IMG_4599.JPG
But then when we get home the jeep is more then a toy it's also a tool that is used to help tend to the fields IMG_4598.JPG

All in all bottom line is
It's more then just a jeep
Its WAYALIFE

Last edited:

Chris1015

Wonderbread doesnt exist by me anymore, the factory at I-55 and route 45 shut down. So if I had to voyage for Wonderbread, I may have to venture to great lengths.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom