Factory softop or trektop?

Twiztid11

The black diamond fabric which is the original on is the cheaper one. Should be about $600. The twill fabric one is about $1000. The twill is thicker and more high end looking. It's like something you see on a high end sports car. It's also more finished on the inside and provides better sound deadening or so they say. I have the black diamond one and it's what most of them you will see around are. I have only seen a couple twill regular tops and no trek top NX twill tops.

Im not a fabric expert but I'm assuming that either way they will be the same color of black fabric? On the north ridge site it looks grayish

2014 JKU, manual, stock....for now.
Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
i persoanlly like my factory soft top on my 2 door and if i need a replacement quadratec and best top my replacement tops for around $300

Ldogg

The twill from what I have seen is really black. The black diamond is just like the OEM top from what I have seen.

Here it's more like my fenders because of the sun. It's also over a year old, and we are at 7000' above sea level so the sun is stronger. In less direct sunlight it's black.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1401898533.356549.jpg

Twiztid11

This is the color of my top, looks a bit darker unless yours was once this color?

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1401899239.277721.jpg

Twiztid11

I agree that looks like twill to me. Is it "soft" to the touch and thick?

I do remember the sales man saying I had a premium or twill top which he said was a more sturdy type of material. (This is gonna sound wrong). It is pretty thick but I don't know if I would say its soft. :cheesy:

Ldogg

I do remember the sales man saying I had a premium or twill top which he said was a more sturdy type of material. (This is gonna sound wrong). It is pretty thick but I don't know if I would say its soft. :cheesy:

I haven't seen one in person so I was just judging by pics. They have a twill version and it's the more expensive one. Do you have the tension bar that connects to the door surrounds now? Also does your rear window slide into a channel on the tailgate bar? You may be able to buy the replace a top Trektop NX in twill and the two top brackets and use your existing hardware. If you plan on selling your top though people will need that hardware.

Twiztid11

I haven't seen one in person so I was just judging by pics. They have a twill version and it's the more expensive one. Do you have the tension bar that connects to the door surrounds now? Also does your rear window slide into a channel on the tailgate bar? You may be able to buy the replace a top Trektop NX in twill and the two top brackets and use your existing hardware. If you plan on selling your top though people will need that hardware.

I just checked the Twill Trektop on Quadratec and it does look similar to the same material as mine for $1200. Im not sure if I have the tension bar that connects to the door surronds, but my rear window does slide into the tailgate. I wouldn't have much of a need for the factory top if I got the trektop. So it would probably depend on how much I could sell the factory top for then hopefully in the end I would be spending the same amount as if I were to get the black diamond.

Ldogg

I just checked the Twill Trektop on Quadratec and it does look similar to the same material as mine for $1200. Im not sure if I have the tension bar that connects to the door surronds, but my rear window does slide into the tailgate. I wouldn't have much of a need for the factory top if I got the trektop. So it would probably depend on how much I could sell the factory top for then hopefully in the end I would be spending the same amount as if I were to get the black diamond.

I bet you could easily get $600 for your soft top.

Twiztid11

I bet you could easily get $600 for your soft top.

That's what I'm thinking. I guess it really comes down to the color of the two. If the black diamond is the same color as mine then I'll just get that.

I already have the factory soft top with the sun rider option which has door surrounds. Does the trektop have door surrounds too or would that be an optional package?

If you already have the door surrounds you do not need order them with the Trektop.

Sent from my fRuit product using WAL

JAGS

Hooked
If you already have the door surrounds you do not need order them with the Trektop.

From what I was told (not from bestop directly) is that the door surrounds are slightly different between factory top and trektop. This was from someone who has run both. Stopped short of actually contacting bestop.

pvanweelden

From what I was told (not from bestop directly) is that the door surrounds are slightly different between factory top and trektop.

This was true for my 07 unlimited, not sure if later bestop went to the same cable design on the soft top as the trek top uses.

Edit- looks like the door surrounds have been updated to work with all bestop tops.

Last edited:
From what I was told (not from bestop directly) is that the door surrounds are slightly different between factory top and trektop. This was from someone who has run both. Stopped short of actually contacting bestop.

I could be wrong and it will not be the first or the last. Thank you Jags for setting the record straight.

Anyone know what is different about them? Maybe this would explain why my plastic side tabs won't stay locked in.

JAGS

Hooked
This was true for my 07 unlimited, not sure if later bestop went to the same cable design on the soft top as the trek top uses.

Edit- looks like the door surrounds have been updated to work with all bestop tops.

I could be wrong and it will not be the first or the last. Thank you Jags for setting the record straight.

In all honesty, I hope I'm wrong and an update has been made per Paul in that all bestops surrounds are the same.

I have a 2013 premium (twill) top with 2013 surrounds on my 2012. Would be stoked if I could just get trektop nx replace a top.

- Jason

Last edited:

JAGS

Hooked
Door surrounds are different between factory and trektop. The top mounts differently to the surrounds.

Damn, so I was right the first time. :grayno: ^^^This is what I was told when I first asked a few months back. Would be cool if you could swap between tops.

Top Bottom