Factory softop or trektop?

JAGS

Hooked
View attachment 86487 View attachment 86488
Good point about the noise JAGS, the twill is quiet but the Trek Top is really not much louder being more aerodynamic it helps. I attached a couple of photos one of the loop and the other of the connecting point for the tubes that make up the sun rider on the door surrounds, the OEM surrounds on my 2013 did not have these for sure. Hope this helps.

Yup. That's the missing element of the OEM top. I found it online at work but was getting ready to close up shop so didnt post. Great pic of the loop

Good work Jags- makes me wonder if the trek top surrounds work with a factory softtop, but not vice versa

Sent from my SM-N900V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Hmmm would be interesting. The rep I talked to did say the actual surround is the same. But not sure about compatibility.

- Jason

Fir-na-tine

Caught the Bug
The twill Trektop NX is a darker shade of black then the standard Trektop.......the standard Trektop has more of a smoother like feel and look and is a few shades lighter almost grayish looking......the twill Trektop has a suede like feel canvas fabric and a deeper dark black color.......I went with the twill despite the extra cake($$) I paid for it because it looked better than the standard.....it's windows are thicker......and the inside looks just like the outside as well.......no complaints from me .....fit and finish was excellent.......installed by myself in about 2 hours total +/-

~Woodrow~

image.jpg

JAGS

Hooked
The twill Trektop NX is a darker shade of black then the standard Trektop.......the standard Trektop has more of a smoother like feel and look and is a few shades lighter almost grayish looking......the twill Trektop has a suede like feel canvas fabric and a deeper dark black color.......I went with the twill despite the extra cake($$) I paid for it because it looked better than the standard.....it's windows are thicker......and the inside looks just like the outside as well.......no complaints from me .....fit and finish was excellent.......installed by myself in about 2 hours total +/-

~Woodrow~

View attachment 86530

I agree on all points only mine is the square back twill. Forgot about the windows being thicker.

- Jason

Ldogg

When I have to replace my Trektop NX I am going to go twill. The black diamond is black it's just that pic of mine is in direct sunlight.

Manvan

I have the Trektop NX. It comes with the door surrounds. If you replace a factory soft top with a trektop, keep the factory surrounds with the factory top and use the trektop surrounds with the trektop. The standard fabric in both tends to fade if you don't treat it with something occasionally. If you like the premium fabric look and don't mind the price, buy it. Either way, think about a spider shade. With the sunrider top back, the sun can still be brutal and in 5sec. You can have the sunrider down. I personally like the nd with the sides and back off and a tonau cover over the back. I have a jku btw. Either way also, the tailgate bar on the Trektop NX sucks. Get a factory tailgate bar on eBay or from Quadratec.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:
I have the Trektop NX. It comes with the door surrounds. If you replace a factory soft top with a trektop, keep the factory surrounds with the factory top and use the trektop surrounds with the trektop. The standard fabric in both tends to fade if you don't treat it with something occasionally. If you like the premium fabric look and don't mind the price, buy it. Either way, think about a spider shade. With the sunrider top back, the sun can still be brutal and in 5sec. You can have the sunrider down. I personally like the nd with the sides and back off and a tonau cover over the back. I have a jku btw. Either way also, the tailgate bar on the Trektop NX sucks. Get a factory tailgate bar on eBay or from Quadratec.

That's a point I was going to ask you guys. I also bought the Trektop NX from Northridge. I am happy with the look and it doesn't let water in like the hard top used to but the Tailgate bar is ridiculous. Once fitted I can only access to the cargo area by bending down to get my head under that poxy bar. Can you tell me if I buy the Factory Tailgate bar I will be able to open the Rear window like with the hardtop?

Attachments

• Driver side view.jpg
    Driver side view.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 214
Last edited:

Manvan

Sorry just saw this. The rear window is a lot easier to open and close with the factory window bar.

Fir-na-tine

Caught the Bug
I have never had a problem with the Bestop tailgate bar whatsoever.......it seals just fine for me......it rains monsoons pretty much every afternoon here in South Florida this time of year and I've had no leaks anywhere........I've read about the Bestop bar being inferior to the OEM Mopar bar but that hasn't been the case with mine......there are no gaps that I can see in or out and it clips in snug.......I've had this top for 10 months now and so far :2thumbsup:

~Woodrow~

Clark Griswold

I have never had a problem with the Bestop tailgate bar whatsoever.......it seals just fine for me......it rains monsoons pretty much every afternoon here in South Florida this time of year and I've had no leaks anywhere........I've read about the Bestop bar being inferior to the OEM Mopar bar but that hasn't been the case with mine......there are no gaps that I can see in or out and it clips in snug.......I've had this top for 10 months now and so far :2thumbsup:

~Woodrow~

I'll second that, no issues whatsoever and I had a factory softop before the Trek Top and don't really see there being a big difference.

turbineguy

I'll second that, no issues whatsoever and I had a factory softop before the Trek Top and don't really see there being a big difference.

On mine. The factory bar has two pieces of rubber that seal the corners that the Bestop Trek bar doesn't have. It also fits a bit snugger.

The Bestop surrounds have an extra slot on top of them that hold the cross bars into them, my 2009ish soft top surrounds don't.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

Rayz

I like the trek top nx, the factory bows are just a pita -and really limit what you can do, such as putting a rack across the back in place of a rear seat...in a 2door anyways..

Ak49Reaper

I started with the factory soft top and ran it till it was falling apart. I woouldnt ever go back to it. I upgraded to the trek top and it is a major upgrade in my opinon, to me its as quiet as my buddys hard top on the street. I also got the added benifit of hltinted windows. To me its alot easier to clean. I can flip back the top to just have driver and pass open up. I also like the zippers and how much easier it is to unzip my windows even wjth them full of mud and other crap. When this one gets worn im buying another. I would highly recomend the trektop

Sent from my SGH-M919 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Bumping this up before i pull the trigger and ditch the hard top. Im leaning twords the trektop but still cant decide. Help me out here

If your going from factory hardtop to trektop nx, im assuming it will come with all parts needed to make this switch?

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
If your going from factory hardtop to trektop nx, im assuming it will come with all parts needed to make this switch?

Yes when you order it it should come with new door surrounds and all the other hardware needed

Napalm

Medic I have ran both tops and now run a factory Mopar soft top. I wrote up a in depth comparison between the trek and factory soft top, it's towards the end of my build thread. You might check it out.

Yes when you order it it should come with new door surrounds and all the other hardware needed

Thanks Coz. Its hard to go topless in february. Lol. Wanted to be sure i had all the right parts.

Medic I have ran both tops and now run a factory Mopar soft top. I wrote up a in depth comparison between the trek and factory soft top, it's towards the end of my build thread. You might check it out.

Ill dig into it. So many trektop threads its hard find a good comparison...

Rayz

HELP issue with trek top...

so i took the rear window and sides out all good till i hit 60 on freeway then top started making a hell of a racket--i think its snapping on the sound bar.. what to do?...all straps and such are tight...

Top Bottom