First Look at the 2015 Jeep Renegade - Yea or Nay?

Sharkey

Word Ninja
I know I'm alone on this one, but I think there is a market for these. With a small lift, bigger tires, and some other exterior upgrades, it could be a perfect starter Jeep for a new driver or even a beach rig.

LoPo

Caught the Bug
At first I was like gross, then I saw it in Anvil and I was like just take all my money. That Anvil paint color for me is like putting bacon on anything, it makes it all better. :D

Oh, it's OK, it'll work for an entry level MPG conscious buyer.

JKWrang

I know I'm alone on this one, but I think there is a market for these. With a small lift, bigger tires, and some other exterior upgrades, it could be a perfect starter Jeep for a new driver or even a beach rig.

If you look back to the 1st or 2nd page you see I said this. Ergo you have a supporter on this. Youre not alone! :rock:

Sent via secret squirrel underground network.

Charlie Mike

I completely agree!

Not going to lie... the more I look at this thing, the more i like it! I wouldn't trade my JK for it, but seeing the possibility of a small lift with slightly bigger tires, yea, looks like a fun rig to drive. And it does actually have a similar face to the Mighty FC.

Ldogg

My oldest will be driving in a few years and I can see that being a great vehicle for him. There is a market and I bet they sell a ton of them.

JAGS

Hooked
I've seen some other angles of this and a bit more realistic "in person" shots and different colors inside the tradeshow hall. It's obviously not meant or going to replace our love for the wrangler. Looks similar to the Honda Element and Zion SUV, but a bit bigger perhaps? Those have/had their share of buyers.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
My oldest will be driving in a few years and I can see that being a great vehicle for him. There is a market and I bet they sell a ton of them.

Same boat here. My oldest is almost 12. I imagine one of these used could be had for a decent price by then.

GCM 2

So I see some of you are warming up to this little Jeep ;) I actually dig it, it's not like they intend on replacing our beloved JK's with this ride. Its in the same category as the Scion xB, the Kia Soul, Nissan Cube, etc. and I think it could give those vehicles a reason to sweat and step up their game. I'm looking forward to seeing one on the streets with some aftermarket parts :rock:

CZEBJKU

Why not?

Just saw this on Jalopnik - check it out....

I saw a different artical about the new Renagade. The top model is supposed to be Trail Rated with a 1.7 litre 170 hp and 180 ftlbs of torque (dont quote me on that). Not to bad for a little guy. My wife would love it. What about craming a supercharge 3.6 in with some coilovers undernieth and some 33s? It would not be my first choice for an off road capable machine but it is still a Jeep for someone!

highoctane

Caught the Bug
Not gonna lie, I'm looking at trading in or selling my '13 Grand Cherokee Trail Hawk for a new JK 4dr this year, and getting one of these Renegades for the wife. Prob a well equipped 2wd/fwd model if possible. Should be better than the Patriots we've looked at and decided against.

Either way, I've been saying I plan to get back into a JK for awhile. After over a year with out one, by God I'm getting another one this year.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
:cheesy: Been on the road and so I haven't been able to keep up with the forum as much as I would prefer and now see that this thread really took on a life of its own :crazyeyes:

As others have stated, I think this Renegade is being geared toward a very different audience and I actually could see how it would do well with kids who would otherwise look at a Scion or the like. If anything, Chrysler is a little late to the game but, better late than never as I always like to say. For me personally, I think it looks better and will sell better than the new Cherokee but of course, that's just me. :yup:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
There's a lot more details on this Renegade on AllPar. Here are some highlights...

Jeep Renegade All Wheel Drive Systems
There are two all wheel drive systems on Jeep Renegade, one of which is restricted to (and standard on) the Trailhawk model.

The 2015 Jeep Renegade Trailhawk has front tow hooks (in some markets), skid plates, all-terrain tires, and fascias that allow better approach and departure angles; it also has more ground clearance than other Renegades. Renegade Trailhawk has 8.1 inches of wheel articulation.

Jeep Active Drive is the basic AWD system; it uses a power transfer unit (PTU), and has yaw correction, balanced torque distribution, and brake traction control to reduce both understeer and oversteer. The system also uses a fully variable wet clutch for control of rear wheels, moderating torque for slippery roads or performance — unlike Jeep Cherokee, which uses dog clutches. Renegade Trailhawk adds a two-speed power takeoff unit; the low range locks the front and rear drive shafts and adds a 4.334:1 gear reduction for a “crawl ratio” of 20.1:1. The system also adds (but only in low range) Hill Descent Control and Hill Ascent Control, to automatically control the speed, from a user-selectable 1 mph to 5 mph, using the throttle and brakes. When in low gear, stability control is shut off entirely.

Untitled-1.jpg

The AWD systems both use the driver-selectable Selec-Terrain traction control system, which controls the powertrain, drivetrain, and brake computers, and stability control.

•Standard mode is automatic, staying in front wheel drive most of the time, but splitting torque as needed.
•Sport limits traction control, increases stability-control thresholds, and targets a front/rear torque split of 40/60 for a rear-drive feel.
•Snow starts in second gear, sets brake controls for slick surfaces, and goes into full time 4x4, preferring a 60/40 front/rear split.
•Mud/Sand is similar but has modified brake controls, and prefers rear wheel drive.
•Rock, on Trailhawk only (because it is only available in low gear), is similar to Mud/Sand but increases brake lock differential capacity, and locks the differential.

Jeep Renegade Powertrain: Transmission and Engines
Untitled-2.jpg

The 948TE automatic transmission, built by Chrysler using a modified ZF design, has a stunning 9.81 ratio spread, with a low first gear and a tall top gear; the wide ratio spread delivers an aggressive first gear ratio of 4.71 for low-end performance and small gear ratio steps which provide smooth transitions, while the overdrive comes in at 0.48:1. Renegade TrailHawk adds a rock-crawl ratio of 20:1 by using a 4.334:1 final drive with the 4.71:1 first gear. This transmission has Electronic Range Select, so drivers can limit the highest gear it will go into.

The system can dynamically choose from over twenty shift maps for specific conditions, choosing based on engine characteristics, longitudinal and lateral acceleration, grade changes, temperature, speed, and electronic stability control demands. (ZF actually allows for many more shift maps, but so far Chrysler has not taken them up on it; Cherokee has 40 shift maps available, still just a fraction of the total allowed by ZF.)

North Americans can choose between the Fiat 1.4 Turbo and Chrysler TigerShark 2.4 four, both coupled to the nine-speed automatic standard. The 1.4 turbo has more power outside North America, along with a stop/start system.

The rest of the world can get the a variety of engines, though most are only available with front wheel drive:
•1.6 liter EtorQ (based on Chrysler Tritec), 108 hp, 112 lb-ft, with start/stop system; front wheel drive, five-speed manual only.
•1.4 liter MultiAir engine with 138 hp/170 lb-ft with stop/start system, manual six-speed transmission, and front wheel drive.
•1.6 liter MultiJet II diesel with Stop/Start system (Europe only), six-speed manual, and front wheel drive; 118 hp, 236 lb-ft
•2.0 liter MultiJet II diesel with Stop/Start system (Europe/Asia-Pacifica) with AWD only, and nine-speed automatic or six-speed manual; 103 or 125 kW output with 258 lb-ft of torque.

You can read a whole lot more on this new Jeep here:
http://www.allpar.com/SUVs/jeep/renegade.html

Hack12

:cheesy: Been on the road and so I haven't been able to keep up with the forum as much as I would prefer and now see that this thread really took on a life of its own :crazyeyes:

As others have stated, I think this Renegade is being geared toward a very different audience and I actually could see how it would do well with kids who would otherwise look at a Scion or the like. If anything, Chrysler is a little late to the game but, better late than never as I always like to say. For me personally, I think it looks better and will sell better than the new Cherokee but of course, that's just me. :yup:

I'm still having a difficult time getting completely on-board with the aesthetics of this thing. However, I completely understand that Jeep is aiming at breaking into a market of consumers that have polar opposite wants/needs to many of us. I certainly can't, and won't, fault them for that. Companies that don't expand their horizons and play to multiple markets of consumers are destined for failure. Of course there are exceptions to that theory, but I would argue that they are very few and far between. I'm sure that we'd all prefer a Jeep brand that can adapt and thrive, so long as they don't forget their roots and keep making the vehicles that singlehandedly forged their popularity.

That being said, I still think it's ugly. :puke:

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
I am slowly starting to like this actually. Deffintily a cooler option than a scion or other like Greg pointed out.

Kenny-g

Caught the Bug

If you look back to the 1st or 2nd page you see I said this. Ergo you have a supporter on this. Youre not alone! :rock:

Sent via secret squirrel underground network.

x3 I think it's going to sell well and compete very well against the Subarus in the small AWD CUV segment.

I completely agree!

Not going to lie... the more I look at this thing, the more i like it! I wouldn't trade my JK for it, but seeing the possibility of a small lift with slightly bigger tires, yea, looks like a fun rig to drive. And it does actually have a similar face to the Mighty FC.

This is pretty much what I've been saying all over FB and in here hahahaha I think it'll be cute in the driveway next to my JK lol would be for hte wife mainly of course ;)

Top Bottom