Getting ready to drop some money

JeepJeep75

8 hours is about what it took me to weld my gussets on. I raised the front end up, undid my shocks and track bar, and unloaded all the pressure off the springs to raise them up out of the way. Then removing paint and test fitting, then the SLOW process of welding an inch at a time and cooling with a wet rag. Then cleaning welds up to paint and reassemble front end. Add in water breaks (or beer) and lunch and your looking at an 8 hour job easy. My front and rear control arm skids and rear track bar bracket welding added another full 8 hour day. I could have paid someone to do this, at a much faster rate but I enjoy working on my own stuff at my own pace.

So I called TrailJeeps to check on my order that I had placed so it would be here this Saturday (tomorrow) there must've been some sort of miscommunication because they told me they weren't sending it until Monday. This is an inconvenience because I had the guys free this weekend that are going to help me with the installs. On the other side TrailJeeps has great customer service and is going to express ship it Monday along with a compensation of some sort (not for sure though). Has this happened to anyone else? It just goes to show that all companies make mistakes but the good ones take care of the mistakes to make it better.

JoeB-JKURX

8 hours is about what it took me to weld my gussets on. I raised the front end up, undid my shocks and track bar, and unloaded all the pressure off the springs to raise them up out of the way. Then removing paint and test fitting, then the SLOW process of welding an inch at a time and cooling with a wet rag. Then cleaning welds up to paint and reassemble front end. Add in water breaks (or beer) and lunch and your looking at an 8 hour job easy. My front and rear control arm skids and rear track bar bracket welding added another full 8 hour day. I could have paid someone to do this, at a much faster rate but I enjoy working on my own stuff at my own pace.

I have rear control arm skids and found, after they were welded into place that I couldn't get the arm out of the mount until I actually rotated the axle back far enough to take it out. It really is stuck in there at both ends until you move the axle back. I realize that most folks don't take their control arms out often but you won't enjoy this if you do have to take them out.

JeepJeep75

I have rear control arm skids and found, after they were welded into place that I couldn't get the arm out of the mount until I actually rotated the axle back far enough to take it out. It really is stuck in there at both ends until you move the axle back. I realize that most folks don't take their control arms out often but you won't enjoy this if you do have to take them out.

I ran into that problem right away upon reassembly. Your right about the arm no longer swinging up into the the lower mount on the axle without hitting the new skid. All you have to do is take the bolts out of BOTH ends of the control arm, shove the axle end in the pocket first, then pull the LCA forward a little and both bolt holes line up, no axle twisting needed. Same thing on the front with the LCA skids in place. Had to take both bolts out of LCA, pop axle end in first, then swing arm into frame pocket. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1471102004.142007.jpg this pic might help everyone visualize what we are talking about. [emoji106]

R3D4UM

If you haven't ordered it yet you could save yourself some money on the winch. I just got the same one on Amazon for $971.28.

If you haven't ordered it yet you could save yourself some money on the winch. I just got the same one on Amazon for $971.28.

I changed my order and just got suspension part, wheels, tires, gussets, and the tire carrier. Good to know though... Can you post the link? Does it come with line or do you have to buy it separate?

R3D4UM

I changed my order and just got suspension part, wheels, tires, gussets, and the tire carrier. Good to know though... Can you post the link? Does it come with line or do you have to buy it separate?

Sorry wanted to post that link. It comes with the rope, 100' I believe.

Anything else I should get for the install of any of this, should have the tools. I am going to go get paint, self etching primer, anti seize, and a hand spray gun that goes on spray paint.

swampdog

Anything else I should get for the install of any of this, should have the tools. I am going to go get paint, self etching primer, anti seize, and a hand spray gun that goes on spray paint.

Acetone or brake cleaner to wipe the metal down with before the primer.

Okay so just about every shop I've called says I should buy new ball joints and install those while they weld on the C gussets. Also they say that it's not going to drive anything like stock.. So my question is, what is it like driving with a 4" lift and 37" tires on the highway (70+ mph) and do I need to get new ball joints? Also what would you guys say is an acceptable price to install 5.13 gears alone and then possibly welding on the C gussets and rear track bar? I've already bought it all so there's no real turning back now haha but I'll enjoy any and all info/ knowledge that'll come my way.

Clutch

Caught the Bug
You don't need new ball joints just because of the gussets. If you have some miles on your jeep, it may not hurt, but not needed. I had my gussets and front LCA skids welded on for $50/ hr, not bad in my opinion. Gears are outrageously expensive here, $2600 front and rear for labor and materials. Some places are more like a grand.

Got my 4.56s installed front and rear for around $1700

You don't need new ball joints just because of the gussets. If you have some miles on your jeep, it may not hurt, but not needed. I had my gussets and front LCA skids welded on for $50/ hr, not bad in my opinion. Gears are outrageously expensive here, $2600 front and rear for labor and materials. Some places are more like a grand.

Found a guy that will install them for $600 then he'll weld my c gussets and rear track bar for $160 and install nitro front sleeves for $160.

Clutch

Caught the Bug
Sounds like a deal as long as he knows his shiz! I spent $150 for my welding. But as I said gears are crazy expensive, so it'll be stock rubi gearing for me.

Top Bottom