GraniteCrystal build thread

Drove to Aspen via Independence Pass today. Absolutely gorgeous. At times it's more or less a one lane road on the side of a mountain. Lake at the beginning was stunning; already planning on going back to camp there.

Drove through Leadville on the way over, which completely surprised me with its charm. Thinking of going back to explore that sometime. There are some good trails near there as well, so two birds one stone.
View attachment 207640

Outside Leadville there was a series of boulders, painted, with drill holes in them and other markings. No idea what the significance is but seemed like a photo shoot was warranted.
View attachment 207641

This is entering Independence Pass from highway 91:
View attachment 207642

Panoramic from near the top:
View attachment 207645

Continental Divide. Crazy to think two snow flakes from the same cloud will end up in different oceans just depending on which side of the ridge they fall.
View attachment 207643

Saw this guy in Aspen. Old Jeepster, completely restored. It was a thing of beauty.
View attachment 207644

Tomorrow we explore Aspen and hopefully do a trail! The occasion for the trip is the wife's birthday so we'll see what she wants to do :)

Good day when you can drive to aspen :) looks like a good time

Aspen Day 2

Day started off with a hike to Maroon Bells, possibly the most photographed spot in Colorado. Each of the two peaks is over 14,000' elevation. Here is the view from the bottom of Maroon Lake.
IMG_20160611_093839.jpg

We chose to take the hike up to Crater Lake, 1.8 miles up the trail. There were some cool rock formations on the right:
IMG_20160611_121401.jpg

Crater Lake coming into view:
PANO_20160611_113525.jpg

View of the the Bells from Crater Lake.
IMG_20160611_103440.jpg

In the afternoon, I went on a little solo adventure, the first foray into actual offroading the Jeep. It was a very gentle introduction, but still a lot of fun. Practiced getting it into 4Low, testing out Hill Descent (very cool), airing down the tires (easy), airing up the tires (took about 40 minutes and then my little Amazon compressor crapped out right on the last tire).

Here is a shot about half way up. I ran Annie Basin, just outside of Aspen.
IMG_20160611_142851.jpg

The view from nearer the top with a storm coming in:
IMG_20160611_145508.jpg

This is as far as I made it for obvious reasons. This road here continues on and then summits Aspen Mountain at Sundeck Restaurant before dropping down the mountain under the gondolas and straight into the heart of Aspen. I really wanted to run it, but couldn't from this direction and found the gate locked at the other end. There is another road that heads south (Upper Hurricane) that was also snowed over. I could see a few vehicles farther up that were fighting their way through. Not what I was looking to do while travelling solo.
IMG_20160611_150822.jpg

View on the way down via Midnight Mine road:
IMG_20160611_154055.jpg

My crappy compressor that overheated. We'll have to see if it'll start up tomorrow:
IMG_20160611_155226.jpg

Had plenty of time to take pics while waiting for the tires to air up. Got a little mud on Scout up near the top:
IMG_20160611_160226.jpg

And some timelapses of the drive up:
https://youtu.be/ZBL9ufba9Xw

And the drive down:
https://youtu.be/xJ4xR7JlmeM

That is some great scenery in that area! Looks like you had a great day. And that compressor, yea.... Nothing like gaining first hand knowledge!! [emoji6]

Day started off with a hike to Maroon Bells, possibly the most photographed spot in Colorado. Each of the two peaks is over 14,000' elevation. Here is the view from the bottom of Maroon Lake.
View attachment 207885

We chose to take the hike up to Crater Lake, 1.8 miles up the trail. There were some cool rock formations on the right:
View attachment 207887

Crater Lake coming into view:
View attachment 207894

View of the the Bells from Crater Lake.
View attachment 207886

In the afternoon, I went on a little solo adventure, the first foray into actual offroading the Jeep. It was a very gentle introduction, but still a lot of fun. Practiced getting it into 4Low, testing out Hill Descent (very cool), airing down the tires (easy), airing up the tires (took about 40 minutes and then my little Amazon compressor crapped out right on the last tire).

Here is a shot about half way up. I ran Annie Basin, just outside of Aspen.
View attachment 207888

The view from nearer the top with a storm coming in:
View attachment 207889

This is as far as I made it for obvious reasons. This road here continues on and then summits Aspen Mountain at Sundeck Restaurant before dropping down the mountain under the gondolas and straight into the heart of Aspen. I really wanted to run it, but couldn't from this direction and found the gate locked at the other end. There is another road that heads south (Upper Hurricane) that was also snowed over. I could see a few vehicles farther up that were fighting their way through. Not what I was looking to do while travelling solo.
View attachment 207890

View on the way down via Midnight Mine road:
View attachment 207891

My crappy compressor that overheated. We'll have to see if it'll start up tomorrow:
View attachment 207892

Had plenty of time to take pics while waiting for the tires to air up. Got a little mud on Scout up near the top:
View attachment 207893

And some timelapses of the drive up:
https://youtu.be/ZBL9ufba9Xw

And the drive down:
https://youtu.be/xJ4xR7JlmeM

Bitchen!! Thanks for sharing.

Man, you're making me want to move.

Great photos. Looks like you're having a great time up there.

That area is gorgeous up there. Jealous of your scenery for sure.

Beautiful Pics! A Wonderful Outing for sure!

That is some great scenery in that area! Looks like you had a great day. And that compressor, yea.... Nothing like gaining first hand knowledge!! [emoji6]

Bitchen!! Thanks for sharing.

Glad you enjoyed! Aspen has not disappointed. We head back today so we'll see what the day holds. Might do Independence Pass in the reverse direction.

What is that sound?

There's a new rattling sound when accelerating. It only lasts about half a second doesn't happen every time. I noticed it yesterday before going offroading. Only thing that's changed recently is adding Evo ProTek skids. I checked all bolts this morning and they're at least finger tight. Thoughts?

Here is a video. Sound happens at 6 second mark. Turn your volume way up and listen for it in the background a few times.

I had my exhaust crossover skid bend into the exhaust and it started to rattle after 100 miles or so. Just needed to drop it and bend it back. Took a pretty substantial hit to bend it though.

Otherwise check for loose heat shields too

I don't hear it but since you installed skids, take a look at the exhaust. Probably touching somewhere.

I had my exhaust crossover skid bend into the exhaust and it started to rattle after 100 miles or so. Just needed to drop it and bend it back. Took a pretty substantial hit to bend it though.

Otherwise check for loose heat shields too

Thanks guys. Makes me feel better about driving home with it that way. I'll check it out more thoroughly once we get back.

Looks awesome. Planning our first trip there this September and this has given me some good ideas. Thanks for sharing

Spent tonight getting ready for the trail run on Saturday.

First matter of business was to try and figure out that vibrating sound I posted a video of a few days ago. I checked everything in the engine compartment and the underbelly of the Jeep. Only thing I could find that might be causing it was one of the mounts for the exhaust was contacting one of the new skid plates.
IMG_20160616_202215.jpg

I loosened up the skid plate till there was a gap, cut 12 or so pieces of electrical tape, each 2 inches long, then put the tape over the skid plate as a cushion to dampen any vibrations. We'll see how it holds up over the next few days and if that was even the source of the vibrations.
IMG_20160616_204534.jpg

First time with all 4 doors off!
IMG_20160616_215059.jpg

Figured out the best method for strap down the new Rotopax in prep for the weekend:
IMG_20160616_215138.jpg

Checked all fluids too. Bring on Slaughterhouse Gulch!

Top Bottom