GraniteCrystal build thread

Lookin good. I bet that was the noise. If it happens again later, bring out the grinder. See you tomorrow.

Lookin good. I bet that was the noise. If it happens again later, bring out the grinder. See you tomorrow.

The build is looking great so far. It's comforting to know there'll be at least two Warns on the trail. BTW, I'm bringing a portable grinder to Slaughterhouse tomorrow just in case.:yup:

Looks good[emoji106]🏼 You'll never want to put them all back on again!

Yeah I know. Have kid though so at least the rears will probably go back on soon.

Rig is looking nice!:thumb:

Thanks! You coming tomorrow?

Nice rig. Looking good!

Thanks!

I sure hope so. Time will tell.

The build is looking great so far. It's comforting to know there'll be at least two Warns on the trail. BTW, I'm bringing a portable grinder to Slaughterhouse tomorrow just in case.:yup:

Sweet. Tools on the trail never a bad idea. See you tomorrow!

Wrapping the synthetic rope

Just got off the phone with Warn. All of this is common knowledge and available elsewhere, but I wanted to put it here for myself to refer back to later.

Anchor puck doesn't take any of the load
Free spool with no resistance one layer of rope around the drum
Find a nice open space like a parking lot and hook up to a tree or lightpost
Put some light pressure on the foot brake
Easier to do with 2 people: 1 person to work winch and guide the driver/rope, 1 person to drive Jeep back and forth to guide rope on winch and apply brake pressure
That first layer of wraps will cinch up and those are what take the load as they squeeze down on the drum
Wrap the rope back and forth over the spool; keep the abrasion guard (that black, 3' long cover that slides around on the rope) at the end near the hook.
Use a criss-cross pattern at about 30deg to keep the rope from cutting down into lower layers (this didn't come from Warn but from other discussions on Wayalife)
Abrasion guard is just meant as a sort of poor mans tree saver

Hoping to get out and do this later today in prep for tomorrow (though I highly doubt any winching will be necessary. Go prepared).

Rig keeps getting better and better. Also, great pics of recent trail travels -- thanks for sharing! And thanks for posting up the spool tips -- makes for any easy place to find it quickly :)

Thanks. Yep, we'll be fine on winches. I have a portable as well as some other tools. We should be good.

Just got off the phone with Warn. All of this is common knowledge and available elsewhere, but I wanted to put it here for myself to refer back to later.

Anchor puck doesn't take any of the load
Free spool with no resistance one layer of rope around the drum
Find a nice open space like a parking lot and hook up to a tree or lightpost
Put some light pressure on the foot brake
Easier to do with 2 people: 1 person to work winch and guide the driver/rope, 1 person to drive Jeep back and forth to guide rope on winch and apply brake pressure
That first layer of wraps will cinch up and those are what take the load as they squeeze down on the drum
Wrap the rope back and forth over the spool; keep the abrasion guard (that black, 3' long cover that slides around on the rope) at the end near the hook.
Use a criss-cross pattern at about 30deg to keep the rope from cutting down into lower layers (this didn't come from Warn but from other discussions on Wayalife)
Abrasion guard is just meant as a sort of poor mans tree saver

Hoping to get out and do this later today in prep for tomorrow (though I highly doubt any winching will be necessary. Go prepared).

Good luck setting up the rope.

Found a nice, upward sloping, 100 yard, gravel area with a big boulder at the end right next to a Staples. Winch rope stretched 👍Also scored some nice duffle bags off Craigslist for $15 total. Something to put recovery gear in.

Found a nice, upward sloping, 100 yard, gravel area with a big boulder at the end right next to a Staples. Winch rope stretched Also scored some nice duffle bags off Craigslist for $15 total. Something to put recovery gear in.

Sweet. Glad it went well. Nowadays you do something like that in the city and someone that is over-sensitive reports you as suspicious.

Anyone have suggestions on gear to bring?

I have:
Tree saver
Extra D ring (3 total)
Snatch block
Winch remote
Lightweight tie downs
Heavyweight tie downs
Zip ties
Gorilla Tape
Gloves
Blanket (secondary purpose of winch rope weight)
Screwdriver with bits
Electrical tape
Worm clamps

Last edited:
One thing I don't see is a socket set. And maybe a set of vice grips. But other than those two, that's all I can think about. List looks good[emoji106]🏼

Anyone have suggestions on gear to bring?

I have:
Tree saver
Extra D ring (3 total)
Snatch block
Winch remote
Lightweight tie downs
Heavyweight tie downs
Zip ties
Gorilla Tape
Gloves
Blanket (secondary purpose of winch rope weight)
Screwdriver with bits
Electrical tape
Worm clamps

One thing I don't see is a socket set. And maybe a set of vice grips. But other than those two, that's all I can think about. List looks good[emoji106]

Building up your tools is definitely a journey, something you add almost weekly. For tomorrow, I have a ton of sockets including 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2 drive sockets and attachments. Along with vice grips, pliers, etc. I'm more than happy to lend if something should happen.

Building up your tools is definitely a journey, something you add almost weekly. For tomorrow, I have a ton of sockets including 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2 drive sockets and attachments. Along with vice grips, pliers, etc. I'm more than happy to lend if something should happen.

One thing I don't see is a socket set. And maybe a set of vice grips. But other than those two, that's all I can think about. List looks good[emoji106]🏼

Yeah, sockets is on the long term plan. Thought of bringing my set from home but figured someone else would have some for this trip (thanks Doug). Long term may pick up some Kobalt set with case from Lowe's.

What are the vice grips typically used for?

Yeah, sockets is on the long term plan. Thought of bringing my set from home but figured someone else would have some for this trip (thanks Doug). Long term may pick up some Kobalt set with case from Lowe's.

What are the vice grips typically used for?

A common use is for if you break a brake line. You can just clamp it off and then zip tie it up and keep rolling. That's just one trail fix. I would get a good socket set just because you'll never know when you need them. Strange things always seem to come my way, somehow.

Earned my first stripes today on Slaughterhouse Gulch. Lots of fun. Got pretty nervous a few times but the Jeep performed flawlessly.

IMG_20160618_134849.jpg

Top Bottom