Hinrichs 2.0

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
Thought they were the evo copies, then after seeing the "pre runner" ones they look damn close to poison spyder ones....neat

So no news from the dealer which I didn't really expect, at least the tow truck driver was cool. Maybe ill hear something tomorrow.

In other parts news, Sliders show up on monday, and skins on thursday :thumb:. I do have the evo trans skid waiting, and also other minor things to do, well and the cage but I am nervous about drilling the side holes wrong again.

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
Just got a call from my shop about my jeep since he knows the Service manager at the dealer well.....and its exactly as I thought it would be.

They said it steers fine up on the lift which I knew would be the case with no load. They do not want to touch anything because its "too highly modified". I knew they would say that, but the dealer thinks the locker is engaged and welding the gussets may have fried the locker....

So my guy is going up to grab it today, and we will look into it further. I am going to try and work out a deal with him working at nights to pay off the hydro setup while we are tearing into it anyway. Who knows when I will ever get to drive it :grayno:

thardy

Banned
Just got a call from my shop about my jeep since he knows the Service manager at the dealer well.....and its exactly as I thought it would be.

They said it steers fine up on the lift which I knew would be the case with no load. They do not want to touch anything because its "too highly modified". I knew they would say that, but the dealer thinks the locker is engaged and welding the gussets may have fried the locker....

So my guy is going up to grab it today, and we will look into it further. I am going to try and work out a deal with him working at nights to pay off the hydro setup while we are tearing into it anyway. Who knows when I will ever get to drive it :grayno:

That sucks man. Especially since it hasn't seen much drive time either stock or modified.

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
I laughed about the locker being fried as I welded on the gussets as soon as I got the jeep and was driving it around for about a week after that on stock tires with no issues. I do think the locker isnt right as the other guy at the shop installed them, he is good but mistakes do happen. Im going to try and make it out tonight and have my friend look at it personally, I was looking into arb lockers, just incase, and even with his discount they are still a lot.

Do I win a prize for the lowest mile complete warranty void? :thankyou:

07JKSahara

I laughed about the locker being fried as I welded on the gussets as soon as I got the jeep and was driving it around for about a week after that on stock tires with no issues. I do think the locker isnt right as the other guy at the shop installed them, he is good but mistakes do happen. Im going to try and make it out tonight and have my friend look at it personally, I was looking into arb lockers, just incase, and even with his discount they are still a lot.

Is it like the locker won't disengage? Kind of like it wants to but won't? I've had that problem twice now with the e locker after new gears (once mine, once Stegertime). Try pulling the sensor out, it's the bottom plug. It's a 20 or 21 mm and pulls out gently after. Once it's out the locker should be free.

Thanks to ERAUGrad - Sometimes the sensor is installed a little off after gears and pushes the locker plate to the left. The pressure engages the locker and makes it impossible to steer on pavement. PM me for my cell # if you want a video of mine and I can take some pics of the fix.

07JKSahara

Is it like the locker won't disengage? Kind of like it wants to but won't? I've had that problem twice now with the e locker after new gears (once mine, once Stegertime). Try pulling the sensor out, it's the bottom plug. It's a 20 or 21 mm and pulls out gently after. Once it's out the locker should be free.

Thanks to ERAUGrad - Sometimes the sensor is installed a little off after gears and pushes the locker plate to the left. The pressure engages the locker and makes it impossible to steer on pavement. PM me for my cell # if you want a video of mine and I can take some pics of the fix.

I should say in this case, the locker is fine. But a your ECM is going to hate that it can't tell if you're locked or not. If you watch some vids on YouTube, when installing the "carrier" the sensor needs to be pulled out to catch the lip of the locker plate. If it's not, it will push against the plate and cause the issue.

I don't know if it's the problem, but I've seen it twice now and hope I can help somehow.

They can't void your warranty on speculation. Since the locker needs voltage for the coil to actuate, the "fried from welding" is absurd. If it's locked and the connector is unplugged it is a mechanical failure. I would be very careful opening the differential otherwise you could void the warranty. No matter what the problem is they bear the burden of PROOF that your modifications caused the failure.

Things I would try:
Get the SS off. Does that change anything?
Disconnect the D-Link (either end). How does it steer now? (The lift test should've tested this but I don't trust them)
If still hard, The problem is up stream in the pump or gear. How did your modifications damage this part in <300 miles?
If it is easy the problem is on the axle. Disconnect the tie rod. Does one wheel turn easy and not the other?
Note: Once the tires are off the ground it is pretty easy to check if the axle is locked or open..... If it's locked there isn't much point is going further.

Good Luck

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
They can't void your warranty on speculation. Since the locker needs voltage for the coil to actuate, the "fried from welding" is absurd. If it's locked and the connector is unplugged it is a mechanical failure. I would be very careful opening the differential otherwise you could void the warranty. No matter what the problem is they bear the burden of PROOF that your modifications caused the failure.

Things I would try:
Get the SS off. Does that change anything?
Disconnect the D-Link (either end). How does it steer now? (The lift test should've tested this but I don't trust them)
If still hard, The problem is up stream in the pump or gear. How did your modifications damage this part in <300 miles?
If it is easy the problem is on the axle. Disconnect the tie rod. Does one wheel turn easy and not the other?
Note: Once the tires are off the ground it is pretty easy to check if the axle is locked or open..... If it's locked there isn't much point is going further.

Good Luck

If I can stop out tonight, I will let you guys know whats going on. The dealer said it would steer fine when it was up in the air, thats why I feel the locker is engaged for some reason. Still weird that I could drive it out, minus no true full lock, then once the gears were swapped this started to happen....

thardy

Banned
If I can stop out tonight, I will let you guys know whats going on. The dealer said it would steer fine when it was up in the air, thats why I feel the locker is engaged for some reason. Still weird that I could drive it out, minus no true full lock, then once the gears were swapped this started to happen....

If it happened after the gear swap, I would say that 07JKSahara might have nailed this one on the head.

If it happened after the gear swap, I would say that 07JKSahara might have nailed this one on the head.

Sorry, I didn't read everything to catch up fully on when this started. Who did your gears? Did they not test drive it at all after the work? How about actuating the lockers? This is all part of the job. I would seek more info from them.

On the two Rubicon gear swaps I've done the plunger needed pulled out on the rear but not in the front. For the front the plunger's relaxed position was far enough out that I was able to simply reinstall the carrier after the sensor was reinstalled (has to be removed for pinion work). I don't know that this is the case in every axle but it's what I have experienced.

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
Sorry, I didn't read everything to catch up fully on when this started. Who did your gears? Did they not test drive it at all after the work? How about actuating the lockers? This is all part of the job. I would seek more info from them.

On the two Rubicon gear swaps I've done the plunger needed pulled out on the rear but not in the front. For the front the plunger's relaxed position was far enough out that I was able to simply reinstall the carrier after the sensor was reinstalled (has to be removed for pinion work). I don't know that this is the case in every axle but it's what I have experienced.

Its going back to the shop who did the gear swap. They tried to drive it after the swap but stopped due to the turning issues.

Strange part tho was after I installed the lift and tires, it wasnt hitting full lock.

Its going back to the shop who did the gear swap. They tried to drive it after the swap but stopped due to the turning issues.

Excuse me for saying this... but "Fucking DUH" If it was steering fine before they did their work and not after, you would think they would want to double check their work :doh:

07JKSahara

If it turns out that's the issue, you can plug the hole with a brake caliper bolt to drive it home/shop safely on pavement. Just be super careful and don't thread it too far in and damage anything. It's just a Band-Aid to get you home if your ECM is mad at you. It doesn't matter on non-rubi models.

Last edited:

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
Oh no it stayed at their shop for a week untill we towed it to the dealer and now its going back to his shop.

that makes MUCH more sense... lol :yup:

The locker sensor issue sounds like a meal ticket to me. Keep us posted! :thumb: I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Top Bottom