Holy gods of horsepower - Hellcat 707 HP

SmokinV10

Caught the Bug
Everyone who says "it's too much hp" or the "chassis isn't set up for this" or "it can't corner" is being pretty presumptuous. I've had a 1k + whp viper that started as a 450 hp (crank) that was road race capable. I've had a Renntech Mercedes E55 AMG that put down 570 whp that was so stable that you could leave the line ALMOST without your hands on the wheel. 707 crank hp is a lot by any standard but is not the craziness that you may make it out to be. Depends what the Chrysler engineers do to engineer the overall platform.

Hobolobo

Everyone who says "it's too much hp" or the "chassis isn't set up for this" or "it can't corner" is being pretty presumptuous. I've had a 1k + whp viper that started as a 450 hp (crank) that was road race capable. I've had a Renntech Mercedes E55 AMG that put down 570 whp that was so stable that you could leave the line ALMOST without your hands on the wheel. 707 crank hp is a lot by any standard but is not the craziness that you may make it out to be. Depends what the Chrysler engineers do to engineer the overall platform.

Those cars are designed for a track though, whereas the Challenger is just another highway going muscle car. Look pretty, go fast in a straight line. But, as you said, if they change the overall platform of it, it may make a tolerable corner or two.

2013CGJKU

You are talking about real cars with less HP.

If you spent the money to up the HP in that Viper but it was still road race worthy, I know you spent even more money on suspension and brakes than you did on the motor. I know you are familiar with the term "Snakebite"... it didn't come from nowhere.

Renntech and AMG with less HP than this silly Dodge... come on man. The difference in engineering theory and capability with those two companies compared to Dodge. Not even on the same planet.

All we are saying (which is the truth) is that if Dodge took the current SRT Challenger and just slapped a 707 hp drivetrain in it, it's gonna be a shit box with tons of HP.

Levi

2013 CG JKU 6-speed

No presumptions on my part... As I mentioned, I have driven two of the lesser HP versions, (one auto and one manual) in a track environment and they sucked butt. I have also left several at the tree at my local drag strip on test-n-tune night when we had our 67' Camaro. If there is a smart driver behind the wheel they will catch you down track, but they can't launch for anything.

Irish JK

Caught the Bug
I think a lot of people misinterpret this car. It is not, never has been nor was ever intended to be some sort of super handling track/canyon carver, 0-60 number layer (a la GTR), or a lightweight driving experience car (ie Lotus or stripped Porsche). Rather this is a car that has always been aimed at the man who just wants to head out on the highway alone, no place to go but cruise.

Whenever the Challenger is brought up, it is lumped together and compared with the Mustang and the Camaro, which are the first instinct competitors on paper. But the Mustang and Camaro are and always have been "pony cars". They are the smaller, lighter, secretary's cars which eventually had bigger motors stuffed into them. The Challenger was from a different class being a "muscle car". In today's cars both the Camaro and Mustang have much smaller interiors and far less trunk space. Go try and sit an adult in the back of all three, the Challenger is the only one that is even close to reasonable.

Out of all 3 of today's cars, on the highway there is no question the best riding car is the challenger. Does it have it's drawbacks, certainly. If you go and look at the pictures from the concept car that was originally shown a decade ago, the rocker sills were tucked in a good 4-5" which gave the car a much lighter appearance (I have a great pic somewhere I'll have to find that I took at the NAIAS right down the sill showed the tuck). Alas, when the car made it to production corporate accounting won over and the challenger had to match the structural dimensions of its corporate siblings. The interior is so-so at best (Although the 2015 update looks like it might be a nice advance), it is heavy even for a "muscle car" and so on. But much of the original concept car was brought into production. And that is an important point I think we should all be thankful for whether you like the car or not. It is one more option which only pushes Ford and GM to be better themselves. I am greatful that cars like this do exist. They take piles of money to develop and are never going to make a manufacturer any significant profit in return. We could instead go back to the late '80s and '90s where the only cars produced are boring FWD sedans instead and all three domestic manufacturer's would only make larger profits.

Do I care if the Hellcat(insert GT500 or ZL1) can out 0-60 a GTR, or keep up with a GT3 RS in a canyon, or track with a Lotus....the answer if you buy this car is no. You buy this car to be somewhat practical everyday, be able to take the kids around the block, do some smokey burnouts to relive your high school days, do some 40-110mph highway pulls and cruise across deserted open stretches of blacktop. A 392ci 475hp version do this just fine, a 707hp version will just have a bit more fun even though it is no more practical.

Oh yeah, all from your local dealership with a warranty.

2013CGJKU

Looks like you might need to carry oil for that Chrysler engine too! :yup: Did you notice the burnt oil on start? :shock: Not something I want to see on a new engine.

So the only good part about the car isn't very good either... haha!

Levi

2013 CG JKU 6-speed

I agree with a lot of what you are saying Irish. While the car isn't for me, I know some people that fit the cars personality well.

Another note that popped into my head while reading you post is I am somewhat happy to see the new Fiat owners willing to go nuts on something so totally impractical. Hopefully they will carry that attitude into the next generation Wrangler.

Irish you are spot on. Let's keep it real here. Mustangs and Camaros are chick cars. Plain and simple.
Lol

This 707 hp Challey is a mans man car.

2013CGJKU

Irish you are spot on. Let's keep it real here. Mustangs and Camaros are chick cars. Plain and simple.
Lol

This 707 hp Challey is a mans man car.

BUT! Are any of them worthy of oohs and aahs? Nope.

The Mustang and the Camaro drive better... but really are chick cars.

The Challenger is a comfy DD that you can spin the tires in... but a CTS-V Wagon would do all the same things it can do, haul little stickies and their stuff around with even more space and a better ride AND it can turn corners with the best of them and has PLENTY of power and it's still AMERICAN and probably in the same price range when this thing gets released.

Levi

2013 CG JKU 6-speed

SteelBadger

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/07/01/2015-dodge-challenger-srt-hellcat-707-horsepower-official-video/

I thought they would just be happy besting the GT500's 662, but 707 is absolutely awesome. We truly do live in the greatest age of muscle cars.

On another note, I can only hope the 2015/16 refresh for the Viper now back under the Dodge brand will put it where it righteously so belongs as the most powerful American car with the rumored 750ish HP. But that is probably just a dream. Oh well, at least we get the Hellcat.....oh and let's see who puts this monster engine trans combo into a JK first.

I love seeing that. Nothing beats American muscle. Old and new.:rock:
Now we just need Jeep back in American hands.:crybaby:

Irish JK

Caught the Bug

Anything with 700hp is worthy of an ooh and aah. Seriously, name the production cars in that class.

Minus the Boss 302 (best driving car of them all) and the new Z/28, I think the Challengers are really not that far behind.

The Challenger is a comfy DD that you can spin the tires in... but a CTS-V Wagon would do all the same things it can do, haul little stickies and their stuff around with even more space

Umm, obviously looks are a personal taste topic, but to compare a wagon (even if it is a good one) and a 2 door coupe is again missing the point. Guy who buys this either doesn't yet have a family or probably already has enough family haulers in the garage.

and a better ride AND it can turn corners with the best of them and has PLENTY of power and it's still AMERICAN and probably in the same price range when this thing gets released.

Ride as we all know is subjective, but don't kid yourself, even a CTS-V in the current(now old) form is not that level of a handling car that it would be anywhere leaps and bounds beyond any of the current pony/muscle cars.

A current CTS-V is probably way cheaper than what these will sticker at. I expect stickers to be in the $80-90k range but at least the first years worth won't leave a dealers lot for less that $125k.

07JKSahara

I think a lot of people misinterpret this car. It is not, never has been nor was ever intended to be some sort of super handling track/canyon carver, 0-60 number layer (a la GTR), or a lightweight driving experience car (ie Lotus or stripped Porsche). Rather this is a car that has always been aimed at the man who just wants to head out on the highway alone, no place to go but cruise.

Whenever the Challenger is brought up, it is lumped together and compared with the Mustang and the Camaro, which are the first instinct competitors on paper. But the Mustang and Camaro are and always have been "pony cars". They are the smaller, lighter, secretary's cars which eventually had bigger motors stuffed into them. The Challenger was from a different class being a "muscle car". In today's cars both the Camaro and Mustang have much smaller interiors and far less trunk space. Go try and sit an adult in the back of all three, the Challenger is the only one that is even close to reasonable.

Out of all 3 of today's cars, on the highway there is no question the best riding car is the challenger. Does it have it's drawbacks, certainly. If you go and look at the pictures from the concept car that was originally shown a decade ago, the rocker sills were tucked in a good 4-5" which gave the car a much lighter appearance (I have a great pic somewhere I'll have to find that I took at the NAIAS right down the sill showed the tuck). Alas, when the car made it to production corporate accounting won over and the challenger had to match the structural dimensions of its corporate siblings. The interior is so-so at best (Although the 2015 update looks like it might be a nice advance), it is heavy even for a "muscle car" and so on. But much of the original concept car was brought into production. And that is an important point I think we should all be thankful for whether you like the car or not. It is one more option which only pushes Ford and GM to be better themselves. I am greatful that cars like this do exist. They take piles of money to develop and are never going to make a manufacturer any significant profit in return. We could instead go back to the late '80s and '90s where the only cars produced are boring FWD sedans instead and all three domestic manufacturer's would only make larger profits.

Do I care if the Hellcat(insert GT500 or ZL1) can out 0-60 a GTR, or keep up with a GT3 RS in a canyon, or track with a Lotus....the answer if you buy this car is no. You buy this car to be somewhat practical everyday, be able to take the kids around the block, do some smokey burnouts to relive your high school days, do some 40-110mph highway pulls and cruise across deserted open stretches of blacktop. A 392ci 475hp version do this just fine, a 707hp version will just have a bit more fun even though it is no more practical.

Oh yeah, all from your local dealership with a warranty.

Well put, I'll concede this will get a lot more attention on the average American "block" when you pull in your driveway. This is perfect for someone who wanted the '70 challenger, but was a teen. Now they've got a pension and disposable income, perfect car. And most of those buyers aren't canyon carving.

The Challenger is a comfy DD that you can spin the tires in... but a CTS-V Wagon would do all the same things it can do, haul little stickies and their stuff around with even more space and a better ride AND it can turn corners with the best of them and has PLENTY of power and it's still AMERICAN and probably in the same price range when this thing gets released.

Levi

2013 CG JKU 6-speed

"Better" is subjective but I'll give you the SS Camaro handles nice. I've never driven a mustang I don't know.

And a CTS wagon. Take the man card away now sir. We arnt talking practicality and using it as a family missile here.

I'm not a fan of Cadillacs or GM for that matter. The V is nice but for the money id rather spend it on something that doesn't look like a Toyota Camry. LOL

And I don't think any car built in the last 60 years is deserving of any Ooh's and aah's.

"Better" is subjective but I'll give you the SS Camaro handles nice. I've never driven a mustang I don't know.

The current chassis Mustang is marginally better IMO but is WAY more predictable than the Camaro or Challenger so you can push it harder and feel more confident in the ability to recover.

Last edited:

2013CGJKU

Haha! Okay, okay. I'll stop trying. My original point is that it's terribly impractical in the sense that if I had a 700 hp car, I would want to use that mofo and this thing wouldn't lend itself to being used very often under normal circumstances. But, all of your points are very valid.

Is it cool to have a 700 hp coupe that looks like it's from the 70s and makes all sorts of American muscle noise but you can still drive it down the road and throw some regular pump fuel in? Yes. It sure is and if that's what you are looking for, this is a great car for you.

I would just rather my $100k car to be more fun and usable than just cool at a stop light or sitting in the driveway.

You are all correct. To each his own.

Levi

2013 CG JKU 6-speed

Top Bottom