Houston Area Wayalife-ers!

Napalm

figured you guys would know more than anybody, but the potential for a wheeling trip got me looking into CB radios. There were a few decently rated handheld sets out there, but upon a little further looking (and coming across an install write-up on Project-JK) I'm thinking I might go with a full size unit. Anybody have any input on these, or feel like helping with an install if I go that route? :beer:

Looking at a few online, currently looking at the Midland 1001Z http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00024DIDK/ref=gl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_img?_encoding=UTF8&colid=7UZWEZ8LD27D&coliid=I3CNQWODWK8S30&psc=1

I know I will need an antenna, and a mount for it as well. Guess I'm just poking around for some insight, never messed with any of this before.

I went with a Cobra 25LTD Classic this go around. I was buying Uniden Bearcats (the 35 dollar one on Amazon, not the nice bearcat) and you really do get what you pay for. I had a lot of problems with those radios. I haven't installed mine yet either but it's super easy! :)

Kyle7R

I went with a Cobra 25LTD Classic this go around. I was buying Uniden Bearcats (the 35 dollar one on Amazon, not the nice bearcat) and you really do get what you pay for. I had a lot of problems with those radios. I haven't installed mine yet either but it's super easy! :)

I'm gonna keep looking, the Midland one caught my eye based off of this write-up http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write-ups/affordable-jeep-jk-wrangler-cb-radio-solutionmidland-model-1001z one thing I'm curious about is the coax cable, I've got 2 boxes in the attic and all the stuff needed to make the connections. :brows:

Jackal01

4Hz7SZm.jpg

What is up with the sideways picture??

Jackal01

just to make you ask questions :bleh:

I prolly took this one at an angle, to make that rear end look better :brows:

Ah. Well, I have never understood why people take diagonal/sideways pictures. Just more difficult to view. :crazyeyes:

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
figured you guys would know more than anybody, but the potential for a wheeling trip got me looking into CB radios. There were a few decently rated handheld sets out there, but upon a little further looking (and coming across an install write-up on Project-JK) I'm thinking I might go with a full size unit. Anybody have any input on these, or feel like helping with an install if I go that route? :beer:

Looking at a few online, currently looking at the Midland 1001Z http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00024DIDK/ref=gl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_img?_encoding=UTF8&colid=7UZWEZ8LD27D&coliid=I3CNQWODWK8S30&psc=1

I know I will need an antenna, and a mount for it as well. Guess I'm just poking around for some insight, never messed with any of this before.

While this radio will work fine in the wheeling parks for what it is. If that's not the only thing you plan on using it for/if you think you will ever want to do a bigger wheeling trip outside of a fenced area, this radio is lacking features I find very helpful.
IMHO if it does not have NOAA, it's not a worth purchasing, it's a overpriced walkie talkie. Which again, is fine if that is all you want to use it for. Another feature I really like and use often is channel scan. Works just like the radio in your car, searches for conversations. If your stuck out somewhere and need to call in someone, VERY nice to have!

Here the same radio you like with NOAA and Channel scan.

https://www.rightchannelradios.com/collections/cb-radios/products/midland-1001lwx-cb-radio

Last edited:

Kyle7R

While this radio will work fine in the wheeling parks for what it is. If that's not the only thing you plan on using it for/if you think you will ever want to do a bigger wheeling trip outside of a fenced area, this radio is lacking features I find very helpful.
IMHO if it does not have NOAA, it's not a worth purchasing, it's a overpriced walkie talkie. Which again, is fine if that is all you want to use it for. Another feature I really like and use often is channel scan. Works just like the radio in your car, searches for conversations. If your stuck out somewhere and need to call in someone, VERY nice to have!

Here the same radio you like with NOAA and Channel scan.

https://www.rightchannelradios.com/collections/cb-radios/products/midland-1001lwx-cb-radio

Good info for a newb like myself to have. I'm going to up my range a little bit and do a little more looking around. Thank you for the input, it is much appreciated.

Kyle7R

We saw them late last year so this isn't impressive but pretty nonetheless. Bluebonnets and Indian Paint Brushes together is always a treat.

This was in Bryan right off 290 west bound a couple miles east of the 290 /36 overpass.

View attachment 193554

Oh, and we found the Bluebonnets today!

Attachments

• 1458533554983.jpg
    1458533554983.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 43

Kyle7R

I did a thing today.

The difference between this, and my factory soft top is night and day. Even the wife noticed it on our way to the store. Plus, I got a hell of a deal on it.

Attachments

• 1458605047433.jpg
    1458605047433.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 44

Napalm

I did a thing today.

The difference between this, and my factory soft top is night and day. Even the wife noticed it on our way to the store. Plus, I got a hell of a deal on it.

Woah! Looking good :) making me want one now!!

Kyle7R

Woah! Looking good :) making me want one now!!

It's got some flaws, but they're minimal and it looks damn good!

Where did you find?

Found it on craigslist, had to drive too San Antonio for it but I got it for an absolute steal. Came with everything except the door surround knobs and tailgate bar.

The flaws are a few light scratches on the windows, and the straps needed to use it as a safari top are toast. Which really doesn't bother me, that's what my spider shade is for.

Jackal01

Where did you find?

It's got some flaws, but they're minimal and it looks damn good!

Found it on craigslist, had to drive too San Antonio for it but I got it for an absolute steal. Came with everything except the door surround knobs and tailgate bar.

The flaws are a few light scratches on the windows, and the straps needed to use it as a safari top are toast. Which really doesn't bother me, that's what my spider shade is for.

I think wiggles was asking about bluebonnets since what he quoted from you was about your finding bluebonnets?

Kyle7R

indeed. Figured i would just let it go. :clap2: Thanks Charlie

Shoot, my bad. The quote didn't show up on my phone.

We actually found these just south of New Braunfels on 46. There were tons all over the place over the majority of the drive.

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
Shoot, my bad. The quote didn't show up on my phone.

We actually found these just south of New Braunfels on 46. There were tons all over the place over the majority of the drive.

No harm, No Foul :thumb: which is why I was going to just let it go. We will probably get some next time we head up to Austin to visit with family. take 290 for a change and check out the scenery. :thumb:

Top Bottom