I guess it's the "Super Stocker" build

USMC Wrangler

Well, it took me a good part of the day to get the Rockstars on. It was mainly because of both sides having trail damage.

For example, this the passenger side. It was definitely the worst of the two.

IMG_2268.jpg

The driver side was tweaked some too but not enough to see in photos.

It's all better now...

IMG_2906.jpg

IMG_2907.jpg

IMG_2908.jpg

IMG_2909.jpg

I have not flexed it out yet to check everything. That will have to wait for a week or so.

Other than repairing damage (even after cutting a lot of it off) the other time consuming parts were the top, rear Rockstar bolts and getting my lower shock in on both sides. Overall, not a bad install if you do it BEFORE bending everything.

sipafz

Caught the Bug
Well, it took me a good part of the day to get the Rockstars on. It was mainly because of both sides having trail damage.

For example, this the passenger side. It was definitely the worst of the two.

View attachment 246751

The driver side was tweaked some too but not enough to see in photos.

It's all better now...

View attachment 246752

View attachment 246753

View attachment 246754

View attachment 246756

I have not flexed it out yet to check everything. That will have to wait for a week or so.

Other than repairing damage (even after cutting a lot of it off) the other time consuming parts were the top, rear Rockstar bolts and getting my lower shock in on both sides. Overall, not a bad install if you do it BEFORE bending everything.

Nice job & good advice!

USMC Wrangler

I made a 7 hour-ish round trip today to pick up a D30 that is already regeared to 4.56. I realize it's no Dynatrac or even a Rubi 44, but thanks to Mybadjk's generosity, it cost me nothing but time and gas. Thanks again Mybadjk and thanks to JKU Arizona for holding onto it for me and helping me load up! [emoji1303][emoji1303]

Now, to start saving up for everything the rear will need. All of this will definitely help with the balance of family/Jeep budget I have to work with. [emoji1319][emoji1319]

USMC Wrangler

Nice find. So are you going to re-gear the rear and then just swap the front axle?

I'd like to re-gear and lock the rear. I need to find out if I can simply pull the carrier and gears from the donor 30 and install in my housing. Mine is in a little better shape. The one I picked up today has gussets but no lca skids. The pinion seal is bad, but he gave me a new one with it. Mine has gussets, welded on EVO lca skids and no leaks at all. All this re-gearing stuff is completely new to me. I know I'll benefit from the new ratio and my 35's, but that the extent of my first hand knowledge. I look forward to learning more from all of you through this update!!!

WJCO

Meme King
I'd like to re-gear and lock the rear. I need to find out if I can simply pull the carrier and gears from the donor 30 and install in my housing. Mine is in a little better shape. The one I picked up today has gussets but no lca skids. The pinion seal is bad, but he gave me a new one with it. Mine has gussets, welded on EVO lca skids and no leaks at all. All this re-gearing stuff is completely new to me. I know I'll benefit from the new ratio and my 35's, but that the extent of my first hand knowledge. I look forward to learning more from all of you through this update!!!

Are you going to do the gears yourself?

USMC Wrangler

Are you going to do the gears yourself?

I have zero experience with that and I understand the tools are very pricey??? I also understand doing gears the first time without an experienced helper/teacher probably isn't wise. I don't know for sure though. I'd do it but don't want to cut unnecessary corners at the cost of paying for it again or worse.

There is a local shop that does gear installs for $500 per axle parts (including master rebuild kit) and labor. I haven't called for a quote but just heard all that through the grapevine. That doesn't include buying the locker of course, but that's the route I was thinking for the rear.

If it's possible to remove the carrier, as is, from the donor 30 and simply install it in my housing without any issues, I'd definitely do that. Then drop the front ds when the time comes to re-gear the rear and drive it to the shop for the rear end work. But again, I'm pretty clueless with this stuff, (and it's not likely to happen soon).

WJCO

Meme King
I have zero experience with that and I understand the tools are very pricey??? I also understand doing gears the first time without an experienced helper/teacher probably isn't wise. I don't know for sure though. I'd do it but don't want to cut unnecessary corners at the cost of paying for it again or worse.

There is a local shop that does gear installs for $500 per axle parts (including master rebuild kit) and labor. I haven't called for a quote but just heard all that through the grapevine. That doesn't include buying the locker of course, but that's the route I was thinking for the rear.

If it's possible to remove the carrier, as is, from the donor 30 and simply install it in my housing without any issues, I'd definitely do that. Then drop the front ds when the time comes to re-gear the rear and drive it to the shop for the rear end work. But again, I'm pretty clueless with this stuff, (and it's not likely to happen soon).

Have someone do it, IMO. Your doner axle has a smaller pinion. You will have to switch that out as well.Any time you swap gears, you have to start from scratch and do all of the steps. Time consuming and requires specialty tools and press.

USMC Wrangler

Have someone do it, IMO. Your doner axle has a smaller pinion. You will have to switch that out as well.Any time you swap gears, you have to start from scratch and do all of the steps. Time consuming and requires specialty tools and press.

Ok, I kinda figured. Thanks!

Here's another somewhat related question. It could be quite some time before I can do anything with this. The diff is drained and axle shafts removed. The shafts will be my trail spares for now.

AZ is pretty dry as expected, but should I do anything special to protect the donor internals for storage?

WJCO

Meme King
Ok, I kinda figured. Thanks!

Here's another somewhat related question. It could be quite some time before I can do anything with this. The diff is drained and axle shafts removed. The shafts will be my trail spares for now.

AZ is pretty dry as expected, but should I do anything special to protect the donor internals for storage?

I would plug the tubes with a rag or plastic bag just to be safe. And leave the cover on.

USMC Wrangler

I guess it's the "Super Stocker" build

Thanks. [emoji1303] There are rags in the tubes and the cover is still on. I'll get some plastic over the tubes tomorrow.

USMC Wrangler

While transferring other photos from my wife's camera today, I came across this one.

IMG_6824.jpg

I don't remember her sneaking out there to take this. I must've been concentrating on the bumper mods to get the Warn mounted or something. [emoji23]

USMC Wrangler

No new mods/updates to post, but I'm working on 2-3 possible projects soon.

I just thought I'd go a little Napalm [emoji1] and post a pic at Spider's favorite, late night watering hole...

IMG_3057.jpg

Top Bottom